Author Topic: Montgomery of Meikle Cloak  (Read 4358 times)

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Montgomery of Meikle Cloak
« on: Wednesday 30 April 14 02:17 BST (UK) »
I have traced my ancestry to Isobel Montgomery who married Robert Fulton sometime in around 1770.  I can't find any trace of a marriage but their children were christened in Beith starting in 1772.  There is no mention that the children were illegitimate either.  I did find an Isobel Montgomery married to an Arthur Lang in 1766 in Lochwinnoch.  I assume this is my Isobel and that her marriage to Robert Fulton was a second marriage.  There does not appear to be Lang children.  The marriage lines state her father is Hugh Montgomery of Meikle Cloak.  According to a great nephew, Isobel's brother John Montgomery demolished Cloak Castle to sell off for building materials and that the land had been in the family for 400 years.  In a couple of Commissariots I found the mention of a Hugh who died in 1633 and a John whose wife Marion died in 1598 but nothing in between.  Has anyone heard of this family?  Cloak Castle and the associated farmhouse Meikle Cloak are on the banks of the Calder about a mile from Lochwinnoch.

Online GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Montgomery of Meikle Cloak
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 07:52 BST (UK) »
You cannot assume that it is the same Isobel. Unless you have definite proof, you could end up spending ages tracing a family to which you have no connection. The fact that you cannot find the record of a marriage between her and Robert Fulton just means that the record was never made or does not survive. As you say, the couple were married, as the entries for the baptisms of their children make this clear. If any of the witnesses to the baptisms of the Fulton children were from the Montgomery family of Meikle Cloak, or if one of the children were called Hugh, it might be worth looking into, otherwise it would be mere speculation.

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm aware but there were very few Isobels born or married in the area.  Unfortunately the baptismal records of the children just say Robert Fulton and Isobel Montgomery of Newtown.  There are no witnesses listed.  And all the entries state that.  Isobel was noted as living at Banks End at the time of her marriage to Lang.  Banks End apparently became Barr Cottage.  The Fulton children were declared to be from Newtown or Newton of Barr which is the same area.  Given I can only find two Isobel Montgomery's christened in the area one in Eaglesham and the other in Lochwinnoch both to a father called Hugh, I think I can assume I've got the right one.  There is no marriage for the Eaglesham Isabel.  I have a feeling she fell out with her family.  She's changed churches from Lochwinnoch to Beith for the christenings and she did not name any of her children Hugh.  They are all named after the Fulton side - Anne, Robert, Andrew and the last one is called Montgomery.  Proud of her name but not of her father?

Offline juliaconnolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
robert Fulton and Isobel Montgomery
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 16 07:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Colliersbairn, my family name is Collier and my sister and I are decendants of Robert and Isobel. Who are you ? Please reply.

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I am descended from Robert and Isobel as well through their son Robert Fulton and his wife Jean Caldwell, their son James Fulton and his wife Isabella Lusk , their son Andrew Fulton and his wife Mary Adams and their daughter Elizabeth and her husband William Irvine.

Offline juliaconnolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 December 16 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I was intrigued by your user name of collier because that was my maiden name. I am a decendant of Robert and am trying to find out more about Isobel. My great grandmother insisted that Isobel was part of the Montgomeries of Eglinton. I'l trying to find out if that could be true. My mother went to the church in Beith to search for information.

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 December 16 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I researched the lands of Meikle Cloak on Scotland's Places and apparently the land was leased to the Montgomeries from Paisley Abbey.   

Abt 1520 • Meikle Cloak, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Clook - Assedatur one William Montgomerie yearly three blocks of cheese and three bull calves - Black Book of Paisley Abbey.

If they were a relation of the Montgomeries of Eglinton, it is probably lost in the mists of time.  They've held the lands of Meikle Cloak since the fifteenth century up until today. 

I picked the name Colliersbairn because both sides of my family were coal miners.

Offline juliaconnolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 December 16 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for getting back to me. If I find out more I shall post the info to you on this site. Best wishes, Julia.

Offline Rebecca Herrin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 December 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello I'm new to this so please forgive me I saw the name Montgomery  any relation to Lafracoth Montgomery O'Brien Princess of Ireland and Munster during research I found she maybe my 27th great grandmother