Author Topic: Needing help in finding MEERMAN and ROSTOVSKY ancestry - Prussia/Israel/Ukraine?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline dog_foster_carer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I'm seeking information on the Meerman and Rostovsky families. This is what I know so far.

John (aka Yona/Yaakov) Meerman.  We believe he was born in Russia in about 1881.  His fathers name was Aaron Meerman, probably born in Russia around 1850s-1860s.  His mothers name was Rachael and we believe she was born around 1860. John married Sophia Rostovsky in about 1905, we think in either Jaffa, Israel or Prussia. We think he and Sophia emigrated to Australia somewhere between 1905-1910, returned to Israel for six months in about 1912-1914 to visit family? before returning to Australia (see attachment re newspaper article about this period). They took Australian citizenship in about 1912.  He died in Melbourne, Australia in 1962.

Sophia Rostovsky (sp? Rostowsky, Rostosky, Rostofsky, Rostovski).  We believe she was born in about 1886, possibly in Kremenchuk, Poltava, Ukraine.  Her father was Morri Rostosky (sp?), probably born about 1860s and her mother was Leah born about 1860s too, don't know where either of them were born but possibly in the Lithuania, Ukraine, Prussia areas.

The only other story I've heard is that one or more family member from that time, possibly Aaron or Morri, were one of the first Bilu pioneers that arrived in Palestine/Israel in the 1880s before returning home to wherever he came from.

Morri's fathers name could possibly be Mosche but I can't find anything else regarding the family.  If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!!   :)
Selmes / Matson / MacGregor / Nottle families - England and Australia
Whittaker / Meakin / Flood families - England and Ireland
Mitchell / Thomson / McGill / Auld families - Scotland and Australia
Auld / Scott / Robson families - England
Rawson / Grady / Geary families - England and Ireland
Wolf / Tag / Oberdorf families - Germany
Milton / Watt / Laurence / Bremner families - Scotland
Raffan / Wood / Fordyce / Murray families - Scotland

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Needing help in finding MEERMAN and ROSTOVSKY ancestry - Prussia/Israel/Ukraine?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 13:55 BST (UK) »
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/
 - John Meerman's naturalisation file is digitised.

It shows he arrived in 1909 (ship name/date given).  Lists his birthplace as Kraka (?), Germany, but says he is not 100% sure of the year - is about 30.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dog_foster_carer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Needing help in finding MEERMAN and ROSTOVSKY ancestry - Prussia/Israel/Ukraine?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
Blimey jorose,

I can't thank you enough for that link.  I got the naturalization certificate for John and a military record for his son as well as a few other military records for my father, uncle and grandfather and an immigration record for the wife of another uncle.  Wow, I'll keep that like handy for future reference. Again, thanks and if you don't mind, keep looking if you can.

Cheers!!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 18:50 BST (UK) »
You should probably have a look through
http://www.jewishgen.org/

If any of their kids were born Victoria, the birth certificate should show where and when the parents married.  If it was less than 100 years ago you will need to apply as next of kin/with permission of next of kin if you're not the direct descendant. See: http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RichardLew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 04:43 BST (UK) »
I am very interested to find out more about Rostovsky as well.

I have some information about a Moshe Rostovsky who died in Rehovot in the 1925?, and his wife and daughters (one of whom married in Palestine and later migrated to Australia with her husband and children - my ancestors). I know Moshe was in Palestine before 1900, and where, but I do not have many details.

I have pics of (and have been to) his grave and some other details, but am very keen to learn a lot more.

I know that his wife was Soro? and I SUSPECT that the family may have come from Plunge in Lithuania. IF this is right, then other family names are Meier, Malka, Itsik (Yitzhak) and Sarah. Clearly I need to know more.

I'd love to share this with you and see if we are talking about the same family.

Please get in touch with me.

Offline dog_foster_carer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Thanks for your reply.  I'm doing a family tree for my friend and it's her family that I'm having trouble researching.  Your family could very well be the same line as hers.  Apparently Sophia Rostovsky married John Meerman in Palestine before migrating to Australia.  They had three daughters, then a son and then a baby who died possibly at birth.  All I can determine is that Sophia's parents were Morri Rostovsky c1860ish and Leah [maiden surname unknown] c1865ish.  I believe Leah died on 22/2/1939 and is buried in Rehovot, Hamerkaz, Israel.  As far as I can determine her father's name could've been Mosche Rostovsky.  My friend also thinks that her ancestors may have come from Lithuania or thereabouts.  That's all I really know about them.  Unfortunately there wasn't much communication about family when my friend was growing up.  Let me know if you think our families are linked.

Offline RichardLew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 23:54 BST (UK) »
Very interesting.  I think that my ancestor Moshe (ben Avrohom) Rostovsky b. 1834 had a brother/cousin (lived with in Lithuania) a Movsha Rostovsky born circa 1839. I am somewhat confused because of the similarity of the names, but am trying to investigate further.

Moshe is definitely buried in Rehovoth and lived there for the latter part of the 19th century and into the 20th.

I have evidence of a Rostovsky family (with all the right names and ages) living in Lithuania in 1849? (I'll have to check the date again), but I do not have any records of their migration or information about their life in Palestine. I do not know with whom he migrated to Palestine (was it the whole family? etc.) or exactly when.

Unfortunately, although Moshe Rostovsky's gravestone lauds him as a great man of religion, it does not mention anything about his family at all - not even a wife.

I am trying to locate either; additional information/names that I can research and/or someone in Israel that can assist by reviewing whatever records the Ottomans/Moshav kept at that time.

I assume you are aware that Sophia is buried at the Springvale Necropolis Cemetery (1962) and her grave indicates that her father as Moshe

I'd love to make contact with the family here in Australia to see if we have a connection.

I'd also like to find any relatives, particularly ones still in Israel as they may be able to assist with history or research.

Richard

Offline Aleksandras Rostovskis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 15 07:57 BST (UK) »
hello , we are from Great Yiddish Ros'Tov'Sky - in hebrew -Ross with TOV to the Ski(Y) :) family, Plunge, Lithuania. we was here  hundries of families  Plunge, Siauliai, Kredinga, Telsiai, Liepaja in Latvia , full in the cemeteries of 300 years old .May we coming here in Lite-Lithuania, min from 1760 and the roots should be from Rostowa , Poland. I would go there and read the grave stones in the aria of Yiddish cemeteries around from min 300years.  we have to forget about Russia at all, because they was nobody at what time. We come here from Roma Italy as all Ashkenazim Jewish, together with King Victor the Greater , King of Lithuania and Poland Kingdom. Russia do  existent at this time . arostovskis@gmail.com.