Author Topic: John Buckley Birth about 1686  (Read 2950 times)

Offline Katrina1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Buckley Birth about 1686
« on: Thursday 01 May 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for information regarding the parents of John Buckley birth abt 1686 married Mary Howard (Tudor Rose) in 15 April 1705. I do have a couple of possibilities however I am having doubts about them If anybody has ant information regarding this please let me know, 1st possible Edmund Buckley b 1660 D 1729 and Dorcas Ogden B 1661 D 1729   2nd possible James Buckley b1651 and Elizabeth Scoales birth 1653 - 1741 (also a Tudor Rose)
Regards
Katrina
Buckley's of Madeley Shropshire, Rochdale, Oldham Cheshire, Bulkeley's of Cheshire and Beaumaris Anglesey Wales Stanton, Turner, Taylor, Peabody. Woodall, Perkin, Wadsworth, Whittaker.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Buckley Birth about 1686
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 May 14 19:05 BST (UK) »
can you explain - Mary Howard ( Tudor Rose )
and Elizabeth Scoates ( also a Tudor Rose )  ??? I am a little baffled ..
Henry created the Tudor Rose in 1485...we are talking nearly 200 years later ...was a Tudor Rose a name for a particular lady - or where she came from ??

Baptism: 13 Nov 1687 St Chad, Rochdale, Lancashire, England
John Buckley - filius Isaac Buckley
    Abode: Mossid

Baptism: 24 Mar 1688/9 St Chad, Rochdale, Lancashire, England
John Buckley - filius Robt. Buckley
    Abode: Butterworth hall

the only 2 that I could find around 1686.....the Butterworth Hall abode of the 1688/89 looks interesting ...I will google it and see if anything comes up
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 May 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Butterworth Hall
In his book, ‘The Social & Political History of Rochdale’ (1889) William Robertson claims that a mansion was built in the township of Butterworth by Reginald de Butterworth in 1148, during the reign of King Stephen. The mansion was called Butterworth Hall, and was apparently re-built in the reign of James 1st (ie. the early 17th century).

Robertson goes on to say that in 1274 Geoffrey de Butterworth “sold or exchanged Butterworth Hall, with John Byron, and removed to Belfield Hall.”

Butterworth Hall remained with the Byron family for 300 years, and was sold to Robert Mayall in 1609. When Robert Mayall died in 1622 the hall passed to his son, James Meall, then aged 12 years. It was James who had the house rebuilt and it is believed that the date stone over the porch, “IM 1630” refers to the rebuilding work. It is believed to have remained with the Dawson family until 1802.

In 1851 an old half timbered house at Butterworth Hall was burned down. An iron cross had been fixed to its gable end and was said to mark the place where rents due to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem were paid.

In 1868 the hall was partly demolished and re-fronted, but the old porch was left intact. The Hall, now owned by the Chadwick family, became a Doctor’s home and in 1869 Dr John Chadwick held his first surgery there. It passed to his son, Dr John Chadwick, and then to Dr. B. Spencer, who was succeeded by Dr. J. Scarr, Dr. C. Berriman and finally, Dr. A. K. Bannerjee. In 1974 Dr Bannerjee vacated the Hall and moved to the new Health Centre in Milnrow

if it is of any interest to you or your research
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Katrina1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 May 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
Mary Howard was from a family of nobility believed to be a cousin of  Catherine Howard  of the wives to Henry V111 possibly 2 or 3 x removed
Elizabeth Scoales I do not know how she got her title but lie I said she and James were only possibilitiesAs I am still researching my family connection to Sir Richard Buckley of Baron Hill Beaumaris Anglesey Wales due to the information I received from my late father in 1989 two years before he died. I believed dad was joking at first but I have been informed that he was givinging me the information correctly when he challenged me to trace our ancestors. So I will continue down this route until I find it, I am also enjoying the research as it is helping me through a a difficult time because I lost my eldest sister in September 2012 and my mother in January this year.
Regards
Katrina
Buckley's of Madeley Shropshire, Rochdale, Oldham Cheshire, Bulkeley's of Cheshire and Beaumaris Anglesey Wales Stanton, Turner, Taylor, Peabody. Woodall, Perkin, Wadsworth, Whittaker.

Offline Katrina1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 June 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
can you explain - Mary Howard ( Tudor Rose )
and Elizabeth Scoales ( also a Tudor Rose )  ??? I am a little baffled ..
Henry created the Tudor Rose in 1485...we are talking nearly 200 years later ...was a Tudor Rose a name for a particular lady - or where she came from ??

Baptism: 13 Nov 1687 St Chad, Rochdale, Lancashire, England
John Buckley - filius Isaac Buckley
    Abode: Mossid

Baptism: 24 Mar 1688/9 St Chad, Rochdale, Lancashire, England
John Buckley - filius Robt. Buckley
    Abode: Butterworth hall

the only 2 that I could find around 1686.....the Butterworth Hall abode of the 1688/89 looks interesting ...I will google it and see if anything comes up

Offline Katrina1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 June 14 14:47 BST (UK) »
The Tudor rose is nobility and are connected to Lancashire's history of the War of the Roses and the information have is from family members and cross referencing with other researchers looking for the same family members as myself.  I have also checked this on Lancashire parish records online and confirmed the Tudor rose connection for me, further more the reason I am researching thi s is my connection to Sir Richard Bulkeley of Baron Hill, Beaumaris, Anglesey, Wales.
I would appeciate any help in trying to establish the connection however I am fully aware that the Buckley name has many spellings and that there ias a strong connection to Cheshire, Rochdale, Oldham, Madeley Shropshire, Saddleworth, Doncaster, Nottingham and Staffordshire. This is only my paternal side that is being worked on currently as the family is so large and there are so many Buckley's.
Regards
Katrina   

Offline Huckleberry

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 June 14 19:00 BST (UK) »
The entry clearly shows that John Buckley of Shawside, Crompton married Mary Haward.

Hearth Tax records show that in 1666 James Buckley had 5 hearths - so not an overly large house.
But he may be John's grandfather

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there Katrina  :)

Buckley is quite a common name in the East Lancashire /West Riding areas. I have some Buckleys and found it to be quite a job to research them. Especially as so many of them have the same local trades like coal mining and mill work.
I managed to get back to about 1735.
This is my line of Buckleys in the area

James Buckley b 1793  in Ashton in Makerfield
James was a coal mine labourer . He married Mary Chisnell at Prescot 1819 . He died in a colliery accident in the Blackbrook (St Helens) area 1859

These I believe are his siblings
St Thomas , Ashton in Makerfield
Children of John Buckley (and Mary Rosbotham married 1780)

Samuel b 1781 (soldier 48th Foot / 83rd Foot . Served in the Peninsular Wars and lost his right arm at Badajoz
5ft 7 and 3/4. Hair black, eyes grey. Service 9 years 11 months)
Mary 1783 (dies young)
John 1786
William 1789 (possibly also a soldier)
Peter 1791
*James 1793
Mary 1796

John Buckley b 1757 / 59 ?
St Elphin , Warrington ?
John was a labourer/ paver (laid paving stones)
He died in Newton (Le Willows) workhouse 1827

Johns father I believe is
John Buckley who married Ellen Arkwright in 1757 , at Warrington
John was also a paver

John Buckley b about 1735
There are a couple of possible for John at St Elphin but cannot be sure . One is son of William 1734 a labourer. Another is Son of Thomas 1740 a peaver (paver) but there are about 6  other Johns too at the same church
So many Buckleys that I have only just managed to work mine out after quite a few years  . Good luck with your Buckleys.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
May be worth sending for this as it could be his father:

John Buckley of Shawside in Crompton, husbandman Admon with Inv 1693

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)