Author Topic: Frederick James Bigham (Powell)  (Read 5132 times)

Offline rgee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick James Bigham (Powell)
« on: Monday 05 May 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
Can anybody help me break down a long standing strong wall.
I am trying to track down the true father of Frederick James Bigham, my great Grandfather. According to all records i have found for him he went under the name of Frederick James Bigham, he was born in Bristol in 1879 but his mother Elizabeth Dudley Powell married his "father" John Bigham in June 1883 four years after his birth.
I did send for two birth certs. for Frederick James Powell from Bristol reg. office but on both requests the mothers name is wrong.
Elizabeth's birth is given as in both Bristol and Bath but i have not been able to find it, her father's name was Thomas Powell, and i have not been able to find any other marriage for her, i would just like to confirm Frederick's Father.
Sorry this seems a bit long winded.
Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated
Regards
rgee
Bigham, Monmouthshire
Gooding, Somerset
Anstice, Bristol& Monmouthshire
North, Somerset
Willmer, Sussex

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick James Bigham (Powell)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 December 16 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello rgee

Thos Bristol Powells are a pain!

I have tracked a Hilda G R Powell down to Bristol in the 1891 Census which has gone some way to solve some if not all problems.

Typical of my Powells is an inclination to change or swap around their names and they seem to disappear after 1891....

Family Search shows they were wed in Chepstow in 1883 - which suggests that was her home?

If she was old enough to Marry in 1883 was she 21 then?

I tried to find her father and the name crops up in Censuses back to 1851 - was he a military Man, at Portsmouth in 1851? Could it be he was Master of a Ship that was based in Chepstow but which traded further south down the Severn? There is a similarly named in the 1891 Census and one on Temple Backs Bristol in 1861.

Hope this may open up some new options for you?

Colin

YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 16 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes
A damn pain
Frederick James Bigham exact date of  birth 9 March 1878 so what other Frederick james are registered Mar/June 1878.

No tried that and neither entry for Bristol has mauden name Powell on new index.
Ciderdrinker

Offline rgee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 16 19:24 GMT (UK) »
hi all.
The Frederick James Bigham birth i am looking for is the son of John Bigham of Chepstow, Mon and Elizabeth Dudley Powell also of Chepstow at time of Marriage, maiden name was Powell, they were married on 3rd June 1883, he was 24 yrs she was 27 yrs. their first child was Frederick James but i am unable to find his birth, on every document that i have found for him, he gives his year of birth as 1879 ( four years before parents marriage) and place of birth as Bristol, even his police record records his birth as 1879, Bristol, i have searched looking one year either side, but have not found him.
I have also searched under the name of Powell, since this was his mothers maiden name,she also puts her place of birth down as Bristol, and her fathers name on marriage cert. is Thomas Powell profession Home Missionary.
I am rightly or wrongly thinking at the moment, that John Bigham was not his natural father, as the only Elizabeth Dudley ( she uses the Dudley on every document with her name on it, including her grave stone) of her age that i have found so far is one working as a maid, at The Great Western Hotel, Colmore Row, Birmingham,  on the 1881 census, and things did go on between guests and maids,  but the one in Birmingham place of birth is down as Hidcote, Glos.
I have applied for two birth cert, from Bristol under the name of Powell but both do not have the correct mother, and i also have not been able to track down her farther Thomas Powell.
Any help would be much appreciated, this wall is getting the better of me. 
Bigham, Monmouthshire
Gooding, Somerset
North, Somerset
Willmer, Sussex

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 16 09:42 GMT (UK) »
In  previous thread - 27 December 2015

Marriage at Chepstow - 3 June 1883 between John BIGHAM aged 24 - and Elizabeth Dudley POWELL aged 27 witnesses: Robt JONES and Kate BALL - (transcript on the Forest of Dean Family website) - this marriage by Licence : have you obtained this Licence as there may be more information?

As there appears to be connections to Bristol also quoted was the baptism of

Robert Dudley POWELL - 12 November 1886 - parents: Thomas Frederic POWELL and Anne Louisa

Also by googling:  Robert Dudley POWELL - Seaman, Royal Navy Service No: 211712 - born 18 January 1885 - Westbury.

Ancestry: Robert Dudley POWELL - under UK Royal Navy Register of Seamen Service 1853-1928

---

?
Couple on Family Search married at Bristol in 1876 : Thomas Frederick POWELL (father Henry) and Annie Louisa PARSONS

---

?
Family Search

Thomas Frederick POWELL - christened 8 September 1850 - St Philip & St Jacob's Bristol : parents Thomas Henry POWELL and Matilda

---

Robert Dudley POWELL married 18 August 1901 at Bedminster St John Somerset (father: Thomas Frederick POWELL to Rose TOVEY

Robert Arthur Dudley POWELL christened in Staffordshire 9 January 1902 - father: Robert Dudley POWELL and Rose.

Offline rgee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 December 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
many thanks Capetown, some food for thought there. I do have the marriage cert. but i was not aware that you could get a copy of the licence, where can i get a copy from.?
What i really want to know is Frederick James Bigham  a Bigham by birth or by adoption.
As regards the info on the Powell's that you have given, that's all new to me as the only Powell i new of was Thomas Powell, Elizabeth Dudleys father as shown on the marriage cert.
ray
Bigham, Monmouthshire
Gooding, Somerset
North, Somerset
Willmer, Sussex

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 December 16 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Frederick POWELL - christened 8 September 1850 - St Philip & St Jacob's Bristol : parents Thomas Henry POWELL and Matilda

Thomas Henry Powell marries Matilda Walker in Bedminster district, 1849, and there's a birth registration in 1850 for Thomas Frederick in Clifton which fits. However there is no Elizabeth Powell with mmn Walker

INdeed, looking at 1861 for Thomas Henry and Matilda, they have no Elizabeth and also two young sons called Thomas and Frederick, suggesting TF Powell b 1850 didn;t survive.

So i think they are not your family

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 December 16 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Thomas who is father of Robert Powell, b Bristol c1881, was a shoemaker born in Ireland c1853

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 16 11:22 GMT (UK) »
'I was not aware that you could get a copy of the Licence, where can I get a copy?

On the Forest of Dean Family History site - they have transcribed

Gloucestershire Marriage Licences 1637-1837 and
Allegations & Marriage Bonds 1730-1823

There are some for Chepstow - but this was the place of residence of either the Bride or Groom to marry in Gloucestershire.

Before these were transcribed I obtained mine from the Gloucestershire Records Office - so assume the Gwent Records Office would hold the Licences ?

Looking at the transcript of the baptism of John & 'Eliza' BIGHAM on the Forest of Dean website - may be there are other family names....

---

Chepstow

3 January 1889

Harriet Margaret DUDLEY BIGHAM

parents: John & Eliza
residence: Foundry Cottage

Memoranda:  In this record a forename was not clear so the best guess was given Birth Register shows Harriet Margaretta D.  Any abbreviated forenames have been expanded to the full name.

----

same day: 3 Jan 1889

a son

Alexander Henry BIGHAM  (not on the 1891 census)

-----

16 October 1890

David WALLACE BIGHAM  (not on the 1891 census)

parents: John Eliz[abe]th

residence: Wye Valley Cottage

Family Search

1891 Census, Chepstow

J Bigham 33
Elizabeth 34
Frederick 14
William 6
Harriet 4

1901 Census at Chepstow

John BIGHAM - 42 - born Shirenewton
Elizabeth D BIGHAM - 43, bristol
Frederick J BIGHAM - 22 - born Bristol
John W BIGHAM - 15 - born Tidenham
Harriet M BIGHAM - 14 - born Tidenham
Alexander H BIGHAM - 12 - born Chepstow
David W BIGHAM - 10 - born Chepstow

? are these 'boat people' going up and down the Severn as far as Birmingham?

?  or should you also be looking for the surname POWER :  accents, especially Irish around Bristol etc.

?  with Bristol and Margarett/Henry etc

1881 Census, Bristol St James

Margaret POWELL - aged 36, born Ireland
Frederick POWELL - Grandson, aged 4, born Bristol St Pauls  ??
Lily ANDERSON - grand-daughter - 5 - born Ireland
Henry POWELL - Son - 28 - born Ireland
Annie POWELL - daughter-in-law- 24, born Bristol St James
Thomas POWELL - Grand-son - 2 - born Bristol St James

?? this depends on when Henry POWELL married Annie ***- although Frederick aged 4 is listed after his Grandmother and not 'between' Annie and Thomas aged 2

*** or did she marry Thomas Frederick POWELL

__

Is this the same Annie POWELL in 1901 Bristol

Annie Louisa - 41 - born Redland, Bristol
Robert D - son - 19 - born Redland, bristol  ***
Harriet L - daughter 17 - born Kingsdown Bristol
Margaret D POWELL daughter - 15 - born Cotham Bristol
Eliza POWELL - daughter - 14 - born Redcliffe Bristol
Henry G POWELL - son - 12 - born Bedminster, Bristol

(the D stands for DUDLEY)

Robert Dudley POWELL christened 12 November 1886 at Bristol, parents: Thomas Frederic POWELL and Annie Louisa POWELL

There just seems too many 'family names' to be a coincidence!