Author Topic: Miss Foxcroft - Victorian photo  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
Miss Foxcroft - Victorian photo
« on: Monday 05 May 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
I have a Victorian photo, taken about 1875, of an unknown lady. Underneath the picture has been written in pencil Miss Foxcroft. Does anyone know who this could be? It is in an album owned by my family in the Eastern Cape in that era, and contains mainly photos of the Hulley, Cawood and Gradwell families.
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Foxcroft - Victorian photo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 May 14 17:43 BST (UK) »
I suspect you already know what follows, but just in case.

All I did was google Foxcroft and many sites came up. One which may be relevant (rootsweb) mentions Miss Maud Foxcroft marr. 29th December 1891. Outside your timescale but..........
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 May 14 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Regorian. I'm hoping to link her to the families that I am researching as I have found all the pictures in the album were linked in some way.
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 May 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
There was a earlier post on this forum for Cawood by another lister. Wonder if they are any relation?
Hi,

I am seeking the ancestral line for:

Phillip Cawood
Birth: est. bef. 1945
Husband of Anna Pretorius
Father of John Edward Cawood

John Edward married Christina Maria Francina Kruger, b. 15 Nov 1916
Father of John Alan Cawood
The response to this was.
I have found this estate file in the National Archives but am not sure if it is your Anna Pretorius. If you wish to order copies of the file I suggest that you do it through eggsa.org.  If these are the correct full names of Philip and Anna do let us know as it makes searching for information a lot easier.

DEPOT     NAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MSCE                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 550/1972                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          CAWOOD, ANNA MAGRIETHA ALETHA. (BORN PRETORIUS). BORN IN LADYSMITH.   
           PR/SP PHILIP ARNOLD CAWOOD. NO TRACE. DECEASED ESTATE.               
STARTING  19720000                                                             
ENDING    19720000 
  Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline beigley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, she is probably Margaret Cumberland Foxcroft who married Stephen John gradwell (both 1920 settlers to south africa).    And related/linked to the Hulley, Cawood families.  Stephens brother William (also a settler) married Elizabeth (betty) Cawood (whom he met on the ship and married 2 years after they arrived in the cape).

If you have any photos of the Gradwell boys and their families I would be delighted if you would share them.  Our family are directly descended from William Gradwell.

Thanks
Lorraine

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Lorraine
Thanks for the info. I have done some research on the Gradwells and will send it to you in the near future. Not sure if I have any photos of them but will check.
Regards
Mary

Offline beigley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, That would be amazing, thank you.  Our side of the family is scattered all over the world and not many stories remaining.

Lorraine