Author Topic: Kings Head Terrace, Meliden - where was it?  (Read 7754 times)

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kings Head Terrace, Meliden - where was it?
« on: Monday 05 May 14 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

I am researching the War Memorial (1914-1918) at Meliden - specifically this man at the moment: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=685538.msg5297704#msg5297704

In his records he is listed as being from 'Kings Head Terrace, Meliden'. The latest I have a reference to this address is in 1923 from his daughter's parish marriage record. However, when I look at google maps of Meliden, nothing shows up. Does anybody know where it would have been and when it would have changed it's name? I read yesterday that Meliden used to have seven pubs, so I'm guessing the King's Head may have been one of them..

Thanks,
Emma
WYNNE and HUMPHREYS - Soughton, Flintshire
LLOYD and JONES - Gwernaffield/Northop/Rhydymwyn, Flintshire
ROWLAND/S - Dinas Mawddwy/Merionethshire and Caernarfon

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Head Terrace, Meliden - where was it?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
Looking at it in the 1901 Census there are only seven houses listed for Kings Head Terrace Meliden.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
I live 2 miles from Meliden so I could have a look. Today the village is numbered from start to finish along Ffordd Talargoch and the old names are not used. I have not heard of Kings Head Terrace, but if wrjones can tell me what is on either side that would help me find it.
I am not aware of 7 pubs actually in the village but the parish of Meliden did once include Prestatyn. The only Kings head pub today is in Rhuddlan.
On the internet I came across Kings Head Place in 1871 census and Kings Head Terrace in 1881 census,( the home of a Thomas Williams Lead Miner.)
It may be possible that Kings Head is the old name for one of todays 3 Pubs.
If this terrace still exists will you want a photograph?
Regards Eldon.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks William, I had seen it in 1901, lost it in 1911, but then it cropped up again on a parish marriage entry in 1923.

Eldon, we must not be far apart, I'm only a couple of miles away too, although don't know the place well, generally am just passing through. I had thought of the Kings Head in Rhuddlan, but it seemed too far away. They have an 'about Meliden' board, near the community centre, which is where I read the information about the amount of pubs.

Somebody told me today that Mount Pleasant (cottages? a single house?) was next to it in the census, and that is on the main street through.

Perhaps if there were only seven houses, it was a small lane near Mount Pleasant? I'll have to have a look on google maps.

Thank you for your replies :)

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 May 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
I lived in Meliden for 31 years, & lived on the road that Eldon mentioned, FFordd Talargoch, there are 3pubs in the village, The Red Lion, The Star Inn & the Miners Arms,

I  have feeling I was once told the miner's arms as it is known now, had been called the MIner's  Arms once  before, I know it did have another name but can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

My parents still live there & have for the last 50 years, I could ask them.

Zoe
Jones, Thomas, Carr, McDougall, Tatlock, Naylor, Gordon, Brentnall, Parry, Brotherton.

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 May 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Zoe, I have just been told where the houses were on another thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=685538.msg5318902#msg5318902

It is very close to a pub (not sure what it's called) but makes me wonder whether it was once the Kings Head! If your parents have any extra info I would be very interested to hear it, thank you!

Best wishes,
Emma

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 May 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

I have just phoned my Dad with an early wake up call, to get some info for you. !

On one of the post it mentions that the cottages where on the left hand side and where a chapel once stood. Where the chapel was, it now has flats like that the reply states, that is now called Cwrt Seion, & the company that built them, was who my Dad works for.

He said that how FFordd Talargoch is now wasn't like that years ago. How it is now is the new FFordd Talargoch, As the old way you would go was passed the old school which is still there, post office & where the post office is there is also a row of cottages.

Thinking of it Emma I have a Booklet about Meliden & surrounding areas, It has also of old pictures of Meliden, especially of FFordd Talargoch I will get the book & look to see waht info I can get from that for you.

Also mentioned that was also a row of cottages by the Red Lion pub, which is now a car park.

The Miner's arms was originally called the The Miner's arms, then changed it's name to the The Melyd, but reverted back to The Miner's as the Melyd had a bad reputuation.

Another thing he said there was an other pub in Meliden at some point called the Railway. he thought it was situated where houses & Flats are now occupied "Ochr y Bryn"

Regards

Zoe
Jones, Thomas, Carr, McDougall, Tatlock, Naylor, Gordon, Brentnall, Parry, Brotherton.

Offline Cariad.bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 May 14 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Zoe - hope your Dad didn't mind the early morning call  ;D

I'd be very interested to hear of any other bits that the booklet may have - I wonder if it's still available to get a copy of?

I like the little road that goes past the post office and the school, interesting what your Dad said about that.

Thanks again, really appreciate it,

Emma

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 May 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

My Dad is used to me phoning him early, Especially with anything to do with Family history! although not as early as I did !  :)

I rang him again today to ask if he could get me another book that I was telling you about, which he said he would try & get a copy for you from the person who wrote the book. As he know him quite well. fingers crossed will see if he can.

I mentioned a few of the surnames on the War Memorial Plague. Furber & Ottley he said there was a big family in Meliden of both Names, he mentioned quite a few of the Furber family. passed & present.

The row of cottages that are by the post office & The Old Meliden I used to  pass on a daily basis years ago, as I would walk that way to Prestatyn. I can get photo's of those, & photo's of the cottages by the old Chapel if you would like them.

Regards

Zoe