Author Topic: Adelaide Pollock Cleaver  (Read 5430 times)

Offline traynorm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adelaide Pollock Cleaver
« on: Tuesday 06 May 14 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am interested in chatting with anyone with info about Adelaide Pollock who was married to Arthur Cleaver about 1905. She was born about 1885 and a daughter of Hugh Pollock

Thank you,

Michael.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Pollock Cleaver
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hiya Michael - neither the birth or the marriage are on www.freebmd.org.uk - so - can you tell us what country are we talking about please ??
added....ok ...Belfast ,Northern Ireland
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline traynorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Garstonite,

Yesterday was just day one of my search !!............. Ive a long way to go over the next few months. I am going to write Adelaide Pollock's biography.

Her pilots licence says she was born 4 January 1889 in Bangor, Co. Down. I think she may have been generous with her age as the census for 1901 shows her to be 15 years old then. So its likely she was born closer to 1885.

The 1911 census shows that she aged 25 and was married 5 years with 2 children. But her husband, Arthur Cleaver is not listed on the same page ??

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated as all info at this stage will be very helpful.

Michael,
Dublin.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 09:52 BST (UK) »
I can only find ONE baptism in Bangor ,Down for Pollock
interestingly enough it is 1880
Alexander Pollock baptised 15th Aug 1880
father William Pollock
mother Isabella Patton Pollock

did Arthur / Adelaide by any chance name a child William or Isabella ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline traynorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Garstonite,

Many thanks for such a prompt reply.

I'm afraid that is a different family. Adelaide's father was Hugh Pollock.

The 1911 census says she gave birth to 2 children but only one is living with her on that date.....Cecil Alwyn Cleaver aged 4 years.

One other response from here gives her husband Arthur living in Hendon, London in 1911.

They were married 5 years at the time. So as yet I don't know if they were already separated or just he was working there and she was rearing the children back in Bangor, Co. Down?.

Thank you again for your interest and help,

Michael.

Offline Terry Mace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 13:05 BST (UK) »

Offline traynorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Terry,

Thank you very much for the info from "A Fleeting Place". One of the links I was unaware of so I appreciate that Terry.

I am researching Irish female pilots pre-WW2. There were few women that earned their licences in that period and Adelaide was one of them.

Is aviation one of your topics of interest ??

Best regards,

Michael.

Offline Terry Mace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Yes, 'A Fleeting Peace' is my website (as you may have guessed) - I'm always glad to hear that someone else is interested in between-the-wars aviators!

Other early female aviators are here: http://mail.afleetingpeace.org/index.php/women-pioneers

The photos I have are from the archive collection of the Royal Aero Club, and also from a 'home video' which a relative of Leonard Slatter sent to me - Leonard was flying down to the Cape in 1929, and there is a substantial section of the video in which Adelaide, her aeroplane and her pilot Donald Drew appear. I'll try to find the original(s). Anything else I can help with, please do let me know.

Offline traynorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
Wow Terry,

There is a huge source of information on that web site. Congratulations !!. Well done

I would certainly be very interested in getting copies of any photographs featuring Adelaide. If the resolution is good enough for publication at a future date.......... and thats a long way off !!

In one of the pages you refer to her as a.k.a. Mrs Hylton Spenser Cleaver. Do you have any idea where the "Hylton" comes in her life ??. I know Ive only started on her but its the first mention I see of that name Hylton?

That would be terrific to see the original of the video footage of Adelaide on the flight to the Cape.

Thank you again Terry,

Best regards,

Michael.