Author Topic: Saunders/Moore. Emigrated from Ireland to New Zealand about 1900.  (Read 6861 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Saunders/Moore. Emigrated from Ireland to New Zealand about 1900.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 May 14 02:31 BST (UK) »
Oooops....I should really have noticed earlier the FreeBMD entry for a Clara THORNBURROW born in the Oct-Dec quarter of 1890. Pound to a penny she is the Clara SAUNDERS b.22 Oct 1890 who died in 1983.

You may want to save yourself a trip Spades. Sorry about that :-)

Regards
Beg

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 11 May 14 04:12 BST (UK) »
Ok, I'll stand down on both the probate and ITM.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 May 14 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think Clara Thornburrow  could  be the one that left Southampton, on the 23 April 1927, aged 36, dob given 1891 on the Corinthic arriving Wellington, and was classed as an "Lady".

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 May 14 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Full GRONI search showed that those Clara Moore's fathers were not Edward. Different occupations too. So I can discount those two references.
Can I search for a death notice in a local newspaper?
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 12 May 14 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Littleorme...

Thanks for clearing up the two Belfast marriages. A shame neither of them were for your Clara.

Not sure where that leaves you now, there being no likely looking SAUNDERS to MOORE marriages in either Ireland or NZ. My guess would be Australia or the UK, possibly the US.

I'm thinking the surviving MOORE who lives near Dublin is looking the best bet for making any progress. Any chance of writing him a letter.

-----

Can I search for a death notice in a local newspaper?

Not sure what you mean by that.

The BDM NZ website lists pretty much all NZ deaths of the last hundred years. I can give you a list of all the Clara's who died in NZ, since your Clara was mentioned in the 1911 census, who also have a birth year of 1884 plus or minus five years (found by "year of death" minus "age at death"). You end up with just over two hundred deaths.

The list doesn't include Clara's with a middle name.

You can then lock yourself away in the National Library in Wellington and look up all of the death notices.

Not sure if you'll have much success unless the death notice specifically says something like "Clara, born in Rathfriland, daughter of Edward and Mary MOORE."

Regards
Beg

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 May 14 09:09 BST (UK) »
Good morning Beg,
Thanks for your information. Last night I decided to start looking in UK records too! Other family members "drifted" from Ireland, so it'll be worth looking for a landfall.
The cousin living near Dublin - Brendan, responded within hours of my initial post to "All the fun of the Fair" site. He promised to share information as his father and uncle were still alive then. I've written several times since with no luck - just promises. Now the uncle he said would know everything is no longer with us. How often would Family Historians hear that?
By a newspaper item I meant the "notice of death" that the family would insert. Often this referred to place of birth of the deceased, and late spouses etc.,
Thanks again.
Clive
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 May 14 09:14 BST (UK) »
You can then lock yourself away in the National Library in Wellington and look up all of the death notices.

Be a bit hard to do from the UK ;D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oliffe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 21 July 14 08:14 BST (UK) »
I have been investigating the Wilbert Pullman Healy Saunders whose second wife was Clara, and we've always thought it was Clara Thornburrow who was born 22 October 1890 in Lancashire.  In 1891 UK census she is shown as the youngest daughter of 7 aged 6/12 of William and Annie Thornburrow.  Wilbert had married Adeline Mary in 1921, but she died in April 1922 having given birth to a stillborn child only weeks before. 
The Clara Saunders who died in 1983 was born in 1890.  Recently I sighted Wilbert's probate, and he left his estate to his wife Clara - no mention of any children.  Wilbert was, my great grandfather's grandson.  Unfortunately when at NZ Archives I did not have time to sight Clara's (1983) probate but intend to next time I am in Wellington. 
Wilbert and Clara Thornburrow married in December 1927 (NZ BDM).  Has anyone the marriage certificate of Wilbert and Clara so we can ascertain if there is any indication of her parentage or place of birth.  (NZBD doesn't appear to have a marriage between a Clara Moore and a male Saunders. - nor could I find one on Ancestry UK). 
So on reading these posts it seems to me that there is confusion between Clara Moore, and Clara Thornburrow.  Would appreciate information to confirm which of these is correct. 

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 21 July 14 21:00 BST (UK) »
I've no idea of the name of Clara Moore's husband. Or when or where they were married. I do understand there were children, however. So perhaps that helps? All I know for certain is that she was born in Rathfriland, Co Down, Ireland on Aug 26, 1884, and emigrated at some time to NZ.
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire