Author Topic: Jamaica - looking for the family of Robert Thornhill & his wife Charlotte Eliza  (Read 4480 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica - looking for the family of Robert Thornhill & his wife Charlotte Eliza
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 March 18 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello chikombingo,

I will send you a PM shortly.

regards,

Westy

Offline madmats

• RootsChat Extra
  • All Livorno/Leghorn research
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica - looking for the family of Robert Thornhill & his wife Charlotte Eliza
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 March 18 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Chikombingo and Westy,

we have Robert and Charlotte's graves in Livorno. I have created an association several years ago to take care of the TWO English cemeteries we have here and in the "newest" cemetery I have surveyed their graves.

Offline chikombingo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I didn't make it clear in my last post that it was the mother, Charlotte Eliza married to Robert Thornhill, who died in Livorno (Leghorn) in 1866, whereas it was her daughter, Charlotte Jane Eliza Thornhill married to Frederick Wetherall in 1854, who was with her younger sister Emily Frances Auber Thornhill when Emily (age 23) married Eustace Neville-Rolfe in October 1867.  Emily died at the Palazzo Caprioli, Naples, on 14 December 1900.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:35 GMT (UK) »
chikombingo,

Thanks so much.  My specific interest is in Ada THORNHILL and William Dillwyn JANSON and any issue they may have had other than their daughter who died aged 2.

In my research I like to be able to have a synopsis of the family into which my ancestors married and this is why I was looking for Robert THORNHILL as father to Ada. ;D

i am still looking for Ada's death/burial and the reason why William may have died at the rectory at Wiltshire, England.

Additionally I am hoping to find them in the 1861 census as this will help to narrow the timeline for Ada's death.  ???

I was unable to locate a Will/Probate for William which also may have contributed some information.

Notwithstanding that the information that has surfaced in the last day or so is valuable information and many thanks.

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Chikombingo and Westy,

we have Robert and Charlotte's graves in Livorno. I have created an association several years ago to take care of the TWO English cemeteries we have here and in the "newest" cemetery I have surveyed their graves.

Thanks so much.

I think we may have been in contact previously around the burial of Peregrine BOWEN who died in 1845 and is buried at The Protestant Cemetery of Florence.

Is this correct???

Westy

Offline chikombingo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 March 18 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westy and Madmats

First - Livorno
I have it recorded that Charlotte Eliza Thornhill was buried in the Campo Santo Inglese, Leghorn in either Jan 1866 (my record) or Jun 1866 (her grand-daughter's record) Which?  Her husband Robert had died at sea of dysentery off Mauritius on 10 Jan 1858, having left Calcutta as Master of the SS Clarendon, 802 tons, on 15 Sep 1857.  I think he would have been buried at sea.  Unfortunately his effects were put on a transport which foundered, all his papers and belongings being lost.  I imagine that it can only be a memorial to him in the cemetery in Livorno, rather than an actual burial.

Second - Ada (Thornhill) Janson.  She was born at sea on 20 Oct 1831.  She was privately baptised 12 Nov 1831 in Hounslow and then baptised again in Southwark 6 Aug 1834!  She and her sisters would have seen little of her father as he was often away for a year at a time on voyages to East Indies and Australia.  She married William Dillwyn Janson in December 1853, when she was just twenty, and initially they lived in Paris.  Their only child, daughter Ada Charlotte Mary Dillwyn Jansen, was born in Eton (probably Upton-cum-Chalvey) in October 1855, baptised in Upton-cum-Chalvey 19 Dec 1855 and died in the district of Dover Apr 1858, being buried on 12 April.  Was the family going to or returning from France?
Why, in the 1871 census did William describe himself as unmarried?  He was buried in Garsdon, Wilts on 13 Jun 1876.  My aunt's book mentions that the marriage was unhappy and that it ended in separation, and my great-aunt's book says that in 1900 Ada was living in Paris.  I have no record of her death.   

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 March 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for that 'insider' information.

It makes sense to me.  It must have been so very tragic for William and Ada to lose their only child and I can imagine their loss may well have added to an already strained relationship.

I will draw a line under this aspect of my research.

Thanks so much.

Westy