Author Topic: Bremhill  (Read 16553 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bremhill
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 May 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
thanks for that....    uuuummmm  been a long time since I have seen Nigels name mentioned...... ;)

it is a part of Calne registration district for which I am unfamiliar so any help is going to be welcomed.

Mentioning slaves.......     yes part of my fh is the identifying of a slave's murderer by the rector of Devizes...      Slavery in England is a topic which not many folk I talk to have heard about.....   It is also a part of genealogy for which I have never seen any records for, nor do I know about overall which would make for an interesting topic on the boards in its own right.   I do know my family had slaves on the plantation and in the newspaper / printery in Jamaica for which were recorded and I do know some English sold themselves into the caper probably to get out of desperate hunger, but other than that my family seemed to be unaffected.....   excluding of course the period of transportation but that was more penal cruelty than slavery.......

Offline EITB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bremhill WW1 deaths
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 March 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
The monthly parish mag in Bremhill is printing an article on the soldiers from ww1 who died on the 100th anniversary of death. You mention elsewhere that you have two relatives on this list. Can you let me know the names please and any info pictures etc you might have.

Thank you
David

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 March 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
If you can contact me by PM I can give you my e-mail I can then send you details of everything I have on all of the Bremhill Casualties

Teresa

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 March 15 02:54 BST (UK) »
For once I happen to agree with  FF regarding the names of the residents of Bremhill.  It is extremely difficult to sort out family relationships within this village.  Unless you purchase the bmd certificates for events you are never going to be entirely sure who belongs to who.  Even the registers can be misleading since the surnames are common in the area such as Pinnegar, Ponting, Henly and their variants.  Coupled with that is the use of Given names in the same way.  There may be for example 4 or 5 John Pontings all cousins.  Then we have the use of the surname as a middle name adding to the mix. 
And Johns and Josephs and Henrys and Williams , all intermingling in my Hatherell/all family  :(

But I can wait and I must add here the great work the WOPC does for us who live overseas and the resources they provide...so thank you  :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 March 15 07:34 BST (UK) »
We try our best - am beginning to compile the baptism records for the site but its a long haul as their are thousands of entries - I plan to add about 800 baptisms per document so that they can at least start to be put on the site.

And thank you for you kind words about the WOPC - on the odd occasion we can't please all.

Offline EITB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 March 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very prompt reply. I am not sure how to PM but will attempt to contact you that way. Any info on your Bremhill soldier ancestors will be of real interest to me and Bremhill people through the Parish Mag.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 March 15 10:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very prompt reply. I am not sure how to PM but will attempt to contact you that way. Any info on your Bremhill soldier ancestors will be of real interest to me and Bremhill people through the Parish Mag.
Have made 3 posts and then you can  :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 March 15 10:21 BST (UK) »
Click on the circle with what looks like a page of writing in under Trancesgirl name to PM  them. You may have to make another post first to bring your posts total up to 3 before PMs are allowed.
[as dgibbins02 said]
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline EITB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 March 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your advice, far too complicated for me but will do my best. Comments appreciated.