Author Topic: Craigerme Farm Bucklyvie?  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Stageman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Craigerme Farm Bucklyvie?
« on: Friday 09 May 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
Anyone from the Bucklyvie/Kippen area heard of a farm (or house) called Craigerme (Poss an "n" instead of "m"). Trying to trace my Gt Grandfather Peter McCallum, farm worker, who resided there in 1865. Don't know anything else about him to aid my search except this.
McCallum-Scotland & South Africa. Brechney-Scotland & Ireland.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Craigerme Farm Bucklyvie?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
I had a wee look at an 1861/86 Ordnance Survey Map for the area, but the closest I can see is Craigend?

See here: http://maps.nls.uk/view/74430865

If you zoom in, north (or above) the large 'N' of Balfron at the right side of the page, you'll see Craigend.

What is the source of your info? Is it a certificate of some sort?  If so, could you crop the image just to show that part and we might be able to help determine exactly what it says?

Anne

Offline Stageman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 May 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne.  Thanks for your help.  I did spot Craigend Farm on an old map and wondered.....?
I got my info via email by kind help of Stirling Council Archive. They found the name and location of Peter McCallum on CH2/469/23 Kirk session Minutes, Balquidder. He acknowleged being father of my illigitimate grandfather. That is my only clue to this. I am going up to the area in a couple of weeks time to look for further evidence.
Barry

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 May 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
It might be best looking at maps around Balquidder rather than Kippen or Buchlyvie?

See: http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=13&lat=56.36206&lon=-4.38384&layers=B000000FFTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Sorry about the long link, but this covers 4 'squares' around that immediate area.

There seems to be many 'Creag' names (not being a Gaelic speaker I can't give you a translation) but by looking at the map, they might be hills (crags?).

I'll keep my fingers crossed you find out more about Peter.  Good luck!

Anne  :)

Offline Stageman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 May 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Anne.  Reason I moved my search from Balquidder area (where my Gt Grandmother was from) was that the Balquidder Kirk Sessions gave Peter's address as Craigerme Farm Bucklyvie.  But there is no surviving minutes for this period in Kirk Session records from Bucklyvie parish unfortunately.  But thanks for your input, am grateful.    Barry

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 May 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
I had a similar case when trying to find a small croft on the black isle. In the end i drew a timeline of every time it came up then printed out the census years for the definites and a few years either side if possible. I was them able to follow the enumerators path on a map and pick out the dwellings which still existed.
Although I never found the exact place as it would have only been a 'makeshift' croft which maybe only existed for 20 or so years I worked out approximately where it would have been.

Hope this helps.

Offline bhillboop

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 September 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
I found a newspaper article where it showed that my 3rd great grandfather Thomas Hill occupied the Farm of Craigend lying in the parish of Cumbernauld and county of Dumbarron consisting of about 43 Scot acres.  This was in the Edinburgh Advertiser 1818.  The land had became available to let.  Thomas was a cattle breeder and later the Innskeeper at Kingshouse in Balquhidder.

Offline Stageman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 April 20 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi bhillboop and thanks for your reply to my query.  As you can see it is some while since I logged on here, as I have all but given up on my search!  But your reply is interesting with it's link between Balquhidder and the Craigend Farm. The date of 1865 seems to be when my Gt Grandfather was somewhere around Bucklyvie. Don't know whether it was Craigend Farm or not or the mysterious Craigerme Farm.  I have been to the village and asked around (incl the village's oldest inhabitant!) but nobody knew of the name. Wish now I had went to Craigend Farm and asked there!  But thanks again.

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 January 21 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stageman
I was reading through old posts and this one caught my eye again.
I used to go to school near there and there were some kids from a farm called Craigievern.
It's a farm up a long track off the road between Drymen and Buchlyvie. maybe 2 miles from Drymen and 2/3 from Buchlyvie. It would be listed according to the parish which may well be Buchlyvie even though it's slightly nearer Drymen.