Author Topic: Maurice Llewellyn Albert Luffman  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Maurice Llewellyn Albert Luffman
« on: Saturday 10 May 14 21:44 BST (UK) »
Born Talumpore India 1881, son of James Austin Luffman. Nothing further known.
Any information very welcome. Thanks.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maurice Llewellyn Albert Luffman
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 May 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
son of James Austin Luffman. Nothing further known.

His baptism, which gives his mother's christian names, is on Family Search
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG7J-7YD

Following on from this, you'll find that his father's marriage is also available on Family Search, together with the names of other children  ;)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 May 14 12:39 BST (UK) »
Born Talumpore India 1881, son of James Austin Luffman. Nothing further known.

But I see now that you already know his mothers maiden name - and have had some other information provided on this thread.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=381775.msg2543576#msg2543576
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 May 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that Jen, Confusion reigned. I had completely forgotten that previous thread.Looking at that thread again I still did not trace any descendants. The main thing that I am after is connecting myself into the Luffman line through a DNA test. We seem to be very short of male Luffmans after 1770. I believe my line comes off the same stock, His father James Austin and James' brother are mentioned on the Lucknow memorial. They originate from Sherborne; and I believe my ancestors lived at Oborne (Dorset) and henstridge (Somerset) in the same timeframe. For those who are unfamiliar with the geography these 3 communities are within 5 miles though in different counties.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline JulieNiere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 November 17 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I've just started chasing Indian Luffmans.
 One of the women in my tree (Mary Barr b. 1816) married an English gunner Petten Bowers. They went to India where their little girl died and then he died (April 1840 at Dum Dum). Mary Bowers nee Barr seems to have married a James Duffman or Suffman (according to transcripts) in Sept 1840 but if we believe those names are correct, they vanish.
My current theory is that 2nd husband James was James Luffman, another army man who died in India (1858) as did Mary (1852).
There are a number of Luffmans born in India in the correct time period (based on their death records and census reports) but I haven't been able to find any birth or baptismal records to confirm that their parents were James and Mary.
I think John Triton Luffman who died in Australia but was born in India in September 1846 may be one of them.  Also Redroger's James Austin Luffman (1841-1909), the policeman. I like him because he gives his father's name as James on his marriage record. :)
Looking forward to any comments!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 November 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Julie, You ask for comments: First apologies for slight delay in response. My reasons for these posts were outlined earlier, but to summarise: 1) My direct line paper tree is in serious difficulties in the late 18th century (c1776) due to the probable illegitimacy of my 2x great grandfather, John Luffman.2) There is a serious shortage of surviving direct line Luffman males making a DNA link difficult. Geographically my best option seems to be the Sherborne/Oborne area of Dorset, specially with the Oborne people who had a son William who is my best bet for 3xgreat grandfather. Relatives, the parents of James and John Luffman of the Lucknow memorial, and James' son Bertrand whose military record I have in detail seem to offer the best possible line for a DNA match; (it's a long way from Dorset to Australia via India and Gallipolli and back again to Devon with Maurice) but it's seemingly the best available option. Luckily I'm not doing this in 2317 or there might be a Mars colony to take account of!! If we can help each other with these then I am more than willing to be assistant. Dorset Record Centre is in easy reach of my home in Bournemouth. I certainly have Mary Barr in the tree, but not the information about her earlier marriage, many thanks. The Suffman name is an artifact of copperplate handwriting, my father was recorded thus in 1911 (Suffoma) as many other Luffman's were recorded as Suffman. Never seen Duffman before, but quite willing to believe it.

Offline JulieNiere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 December 17 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Redroger,
These Luffman/Duffman/Suffmans are such a frustrating family!
I spent quite a few hours down the Suffman rabbit hole over the last week but just cannot work out the connection between your Richard, his father John (married Sarah?) and his grandfather John (married Ann?) and my James Luffman who married Ann Bowers (nee Barr).
Can you clarify?
Cheers,
Julie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 December 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I know Julie, having been one for almost all of the last 78 years!! The short answer to can I clarify is No, but I'll do my best.

What is as certain as it can be is that a John Luffman (b1776) in York (Military records) or Henstridge Somerset (my research) joined to Somerset Fencible Militia around 1794 and moved with the unit to Alford (Lincs) arriving the following year. The Unit was voluntary formed to resist Napoleon and its members did not go abroad except to Ireland, then all part of the UK. As it was a voluntary unit its members could resign at any time, and John took a long furlough in 1796, leaving the unit later that year, and co-habiting and on 25th December 1797 marrying Ann Troy (nee Walsh b1765 described as a widow. Their first child John was b Alford 1798. In 1816 he married Sarah Sizer (b1791) and they had 5 sons and 2 daughters. Richard, my grandfather was b1828. In 1853 at Great Steeping (not far away from Alford) he married Elizabeth Bierley (b1823) and they lived in a variety of local towns and villages all associated with the subsidiary lines of the Great Northern Railway, culminating in Boston in the 1871 and later censuses. Elizabeth died in 1894, and I have been quite unable to trace any children to the marriage. Later the same year he remarried Laettitia Burton (1859-1901), my aunt Lucy Ida Kathleen (1895-1945)was born early the following year and my father Sydney Harold (1899-1971) followed later. Any subsequent Luffman family are still living and must therefore remain private.
I hope that has cleared the any difficulties regarding the descent from John. I believe he was illegitimate, and was born in Henstridge Somerset, to a Betty Meatyard (1759-1809) who seems to have been a formidable lady having several illegitimate children, and apparently claiming maintenance on none of them.
The Indian Luffman's come into my researches as I took a Y chromosome DNA test in 2011 and have had a very limited success matching it to any other Luffmans. Henstridge Somerset is close to Oborne and Sherborne (both Dorset) being less than 4 miles away. I want to get a Luffman DNA test to match mine. There is a serious shortage of male Luffman descendants who match me, and as James and his brother John originated at Sherborne I thought it worthwhile researching the line. I hope that we can make it match together. That's all for now.