Author Topic: William Gilmour from Garvagh apothecary in Liverpool 1844  (Read 8350 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Gilmour from Garvagh apothecary in Liverpool 1844
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
I didn't see the programme Who do you think you are? last night, and can't access it on iPlayer, being out of the UK, but I gather that the subject who appeared last night,  Ferne Cotton descends from Dr William Gilmore from Garvagh who went to Liverpool. Did anyone see the programme? or are any of you locally involved in the research that underlies the production? I'd be intrigued to know if there are any details that would make it clearer how her Gilmore might relate to my/ our doctor James Gilmour

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 August 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
There are some interesting details at https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/featuredarticles/2017/who-do-you-think-you-are/fearne-cotton-616/

but not clear how he relates to other Garvagh Gilmours/ Gilmores

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
More about these Gilmours. I am not sure they make sense to me in the current state of my knowledge. I need help!
 From the British Newspapers Archive index to inter alia the Coleraine Chronicle; in 1852, William Gilmour in Garvagh took delivery of a crate of hats; clearly thus there was a woollen draper in Garvagh, as we already knew. In 1853, Dr William Gilmour/ Gilmore from his temporary residence in Portstewart came to give a learned medical lecture in Garvagh; clearly the doctor from Liverpool, whose descendant appeared on television last week. Dr William Gilmour's wife had a baby at Portstewart in 1856
In 1849 Robert Gilmour of Garvagh at age 60 ruling elder in First Garvagh died. In 1857, interestingly at the Crescent, Portstewart, Martha, widow of the late Robert Gilmour of Garvagh, died; presumably the widow of the ruling elder. And crucially, in the Freeman's Journal article and not for some reason in the published transcript of the Coleraine Chronicle , it says mother of "dr Gilmour of LIverpool". But which Dr Gilmour? I would say likely she was living with her son Dr William Gilmour in Portstewart, a year later than his baby was born there. But had he gone back to Liverpool, or is the article ignoring him, and referring to the other Gilmour doctor in LIverpool, who never left Liverpool? James was definitely there in 1857 when he was elected surgeon-accoucheur to the Ladies Charity hospital and he died there in 1860.
Now the plot thickens. In 1855 died Robert Gilmour of Inchaleen, aged 83. Of which Robert Gilmour was Martha the widow? Could be either. The Chronicle MIGHT have said "Garvagh" for either of them; most likely the ruling elder, but not certainly.
William Gilmour the hat salesman is in the Inchaleen family, according to Aghadowey (who knows most about the Gilmours), and she argues that the two doctors in Liverpool are not brothers, though the Chronicle says they are. I think there may be another way to reconstruct the families. here is another theory!  I think the two medical men William and James are indeed brothers, sons of Robert and Martha Gilmore of Garvagh (I don't know why Martha is said to be mother of just one Liverpool doctor, but that's another day's work). According to Aghadowey, William the hat salesman is brother of my ancestor John Gilmore/ Gilmour, and John is said to be son of James Gilmour of Inchaleen and his wife Mary Anderson. If this is the case, then, the James Gilmour who died in Cumberland county PA may be another brother. SO that there seems to have been two Robert Gilmours around Garvaghin the 1840s, and two sets of brothers called William and James, all contemporaries