Author Topic: William Gilmour from Garvagh apothecary in Liverpool 1844  (Read 8349 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Gilmour from Garvagh apothecary in Liverpool 1844
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 May 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Not as far as I know; I have been looking at a microfilm in the National Library of Ireland, which has a good run of the issues from 1843  I think

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 September 14 12:36 BST (UK) »
William Gilmour apothecary in Liverpool South Dispensary; anyone know what townland he was from? said also to have a brother an apothecary in Liverpool workhouse. Is his name known?
From Coleraine Chronicle 1844

I struggled for years to figure out both the identity of William Gilmour's brother in Liverpool and their relationship to other Gilmours in the area before finding the answer.

The 'brother' is James Gilmour (c1814-1860), son of James Gilmore & Mary Anderson (Gilmores of Inchaleen).
Londonderry Sentinel, 15 Dec.1838: On the 28th ult., at Garvagh, by the Rev. Mitchell Smyth, James Gilmour, surgeon, to Eleanor Maria, daughter of the late Rev. G. Herbert, P.C., of Almuck, and graddaughter of the late Rev. E. Herbert, Rector of Llanfairfechan, Carnarvonshire, North Wales.

Coleraine Chronicle, 4 May 1844: Garvagh- We have much pleasure in stating that Mr. W. Gilmour, of this town, has been appointed Apothecary to the Liverpool South Dispensary. Mr. Gilmour’s brother was, a few weeks since, appointed to the same office in Liverpool Workhouse.

Coleraine Chronicle, 3 Nov.1860: At Liverpool, on the 27th ult., James Gilmour, Esq., M.D., of 10 Upper Parliament Street.

North Wales Chronicle, Sat. 10 Nov.1860: MELANCHOLY DEATH OF DR. GILMOUR, OF LIVERPOOL.- We have to record, under the most painful circumstances, the death of Dr. James Gilmour, general practitioner, of No. 19, Upper Parliament-street, Liverpool, and son-in-law of the late Rev. Mr. Herbert, Amlwch. A few days ago, the deceased left home for the purpose of paying his professional visits, and was no more seen alive by his friends. On Saturday afternoon, his body was found in the water at the Traddord Dockgates. Soon after it was recognised. An inquest was held, and a verdict of “Found Drowned” returned. The deceased had a patient on board a vessel, and it is supposed that, in either going or coming from the ship he missed his footing and fell into the water.- Daily Post

Now, this James Gilmour did have a brother William... but not in Liverpool. William Gilmour (c1806-1881), woollen draper, m. Elizabeth Smith.

So, I think the Chronicle has assumed that 2 local Gilmours both in Liverpool in similar jobs would automatically be brothers (I've found this to happen before when researching a Chronicle funeral notice).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Aghadowey for this salutary lesson in family reconstruction! So easy to make assumptions, in the 1800s obviously just as easily as now!  I'll have another look at these people with your new material to make it clearer. Thanks again

LindeL

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, these Gilmours of Inchaleen are clearly related to my gt gt gt grandfather John Gilmour of Inchaleen, who died in 1847 I believe. Is the Dr James Gilmore a brother or a nephew? I know you have these families at your fingertips!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 10:28 BST (UK) »
John Gilmore (c1789-1847) and Dr. James Gilmour of Liverpool were brothers.

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, many thanks for confirming this link. I had a James as my John's brother; great to have more details now to fill out one more branch of the tree. I appreciate the assistance!
LindeL

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Gilmour of Inchaleen
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hello again Aghadowey and other Gilmour researchers! thanks again for the extra information about the Gilmours. I haven't dared start too much work on the Gilmours (so complicated) and I did not have the name of the wife of James Gilmour of Inchaleen; when I found her as Mary Anderson, I just this morning googled "Anderson" and "Inchaleen" and found a Findagrave site for a grave in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. It is the grave of a James Gilmour from Inchaleen, clearly a brother of the surgeon in Liverpool? and there is a bit of fascinating extra family tradition. It says his mother was Mary Anderson right enough, and adds that she was known as "Lady Mary of Inchaleen"! What the people in Pennsylvania came to believe was that she was a member of the Scotish nobility, but knowing Ulster, I rather suspect that "Lady Mary of Inchaleen" might not have been a real title and in fact might have been a rather derogatory description! like "Lady Muck of Clabberhill", if any of you know that insulting phrase! Anyway it adds an interesting new bit of information to the family tree. Thanks again

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
Now I am wondering how come there are supposed to be two Gilmours, sons of James and Mary Anderson? The James who died in Cumberland Count and the Dr James of Liverpool. I knew the Gilmours would be complex!
Not unheard of for two marriages in two generations between people of the same names; the second generation being cousins?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 September 14 14:26 BST (UK) »
Will have to take a look at this when I get a chance to dig out my notes.