Author Topic: American Service Personnel in Bridgend/Maesteg/PortTalbot during 1943/44  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Cymro36

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: American Service Personnel in Bridgend/Maesteg/PortTalbot during 1943/44
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 February 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Afraid I can't help with names of American units stationed in South Wales during W.W.2, but I do have a clear recollection of U.S. troops stationed at Margam Castle, Port Talbot.  For security reasons, access to the Margam estate was restricted, but as my great-aunts lived in the West Lodge (demolished in the 1960s to facilitate construction of the M4) on the estate my father had a permit to enable him to visit them and, as a child, I used to accompany him.  An American sentry was posted at the white gates outside the Lodge at the western entrance to the estate and we were able to walk a certain distance up the drive, though not as far as the Castle.  In the months leading up to D-Day, there was a long line of military vehicles with American insignia parked along the length of the drive.  Memories of childhood are not always reliable with the passage of years but, if mine are correct, I believe that these vehicles were painted yellow, which suggests they may have been brought from the campaign in North Africa, but that is only my guess.  Anyway, one day they were no longer there - I assume that they had moved on as a result of D-Day.  I hope this may be of some general interest, even though it does not answer your specific question.  At least, it enabled me to go on a nostalgia-trip!

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: American Service Personnel in Bridgend/Maesteg/PortTalbot during 1943/44
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 February 18 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Cymro to for sharing.
Diolch yn fawr.