Author Topic: Dugan, Michael and Catherine ( nee Regan )  (Read 5299 times)

Offline lada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dugan, Michael and Catherine ( nee Regan )
« on: Thursday 15 May 14 13:13 BST (UK) »
The story handed down through the family is that my great grandparents Michael, born 1819 and Catherine born 1814 ran away to get married as she came from a better family. My grandad was born in Mayo in 1847 but the only record I can find regarding Michael and Catherine with the birth dates that match is in Wicklow. They moved to Measham around 1848/9. Prior to that I could with a lot of help, can anyone oblige. Thankyou, Andrew Dugan.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dugan, Michael and Catherine ( nee Regan )
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 May 14 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi There

What was your Grandad's name (ie that was born in Mayo in 1847) ?

Where did you get Mayo as his POB from ?

Is Regan your Great Grandmother's ACTUAL maiden name ie proven and not a guess.

Have you got your Grandad on a 1911 Census with a possible townland in Mayo that he was from ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 May 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Also you need to ask the moderator to move this query to Ireland General !

Tara

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 May 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
There were previous queries on the same people
from 2012 and 2011

There are so few records surviving in Ireland from the early 1800s
that not finding a record does not mean you are searching in the wrong place
and locating a record does not mean it is correct
We always need corroborating proof from elsewhere

I would not be convinced that someone from Wicklow would elope to Mayo
and then emigrate to England unless there was family in Mayo or a job connection
e.g. the railway did not extend to Mayo until the 1860s so travel would have been difficult
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline lada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 May 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Children born in Mayo; Michael 1839, Patrick 1841, Margaret 1844, Andrew 1847. In Measham, Bridget 1850, John 1853. Catherine's name on birth cert. was Raven and Ragin. Barney Regan from the same address, lodger, on the 1841 census married Margaret at a later date. There is an amount of confusion over spellings as they could'nt read or write so could'nt correct mistakes the detail taker heard and wrote down. On the 1911 census my grandfather, Andrew's POB is written as Co. Mayo NK. There are various spellings of Dugan on early records, Dugin, Doogan, Dougan, Dughan. I was hoping some distant relative may have discovered more than I have been able to do purely from my computer. Thankyou, Andrew Dugan.

Offline lada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 May 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
I've made a mistake, Barney Regan married Bridget Dugan.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 May 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
Children born in Mayo; Michael 1839, Patrick 1841, Margaret 1844, Andrew 1847. In Measham, Bridget 1850, John 1853. Catherine's name on birth cert. was Raven and Ragin. Barney Regan from the same address, lodger, on the 1841 census married Margaret at a later date. There is an amount of confusion over spellings as they could'nt read or write so could'nt correct mistakes the detail taker heard and wrote down. On the 1911 census my grandfather, Andrew's POB is written as Co. Mayo NK. There are various spellings of Dugan on early records, Dugin, Doogan, Dougan, Dughan. I was hoping some distant relative may have discovered more than I have been able to do purely from my computer. Thankyou, Andrew Dugan.

Various spellings are a part of family history especially where literacy was low.
We always have to accept that we must look at every possibility and then find proof for the link.

Catherine was born c1814 based on age 47 on 1861 UK census in Measham
You state that "Catherine's name on birth cert. was Raven and Ragin"
Birth certs are not available for that period in Ireland - where is this information from?

She shows that she was from Dareybrook on 1851 census - this could be DERRYBROCK
Derrybrock is north of Newport in west Mayo
but it is more likely to be DERRYNABROCK in east Mayo

Michael states he is from a place name transcribed as Rottradon on the same census return
It reads more as Bottradoo to me and could well be Ballindoo (Baile na dumha) in east Mayo
It is also known as Doocastle; This place is about 2 miles from Derrynabrock

The births of the eldest children are in Mayo on census returns
Ballindoo is in the parish of Kilturra close to the Sligo border
Have you located their baptisms in Ireland? or other source for them?
as this info would lead me to strongly believe the family were only Mayo based before emigrating

Best of luck in your searching as this is the time period most difficult to research in Irish records

Link to 2006 forum discussion on family you may or may not be aware of

Looking at the 1911 census return for Andrew I would consider NK to mean not known
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline lada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 May 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
John, born 1853, mother Catherine Dhugan formerly Ragin.
Bridget, born 1850, mother Catherine Dougan  formerly Raven.
Catherine Doogan died 1870.
Michael Dugin died 1874. Both died in Measham but I cant find where thet are buried.
Never been able to find Dareybrode but think that Botradon is Ballaghaderreen but I am probably wrong. Being of an age when computer operation doesnt come easy I have found it very frustrating tracing the Irish connection which is why any help would be appreciated. Would it be so difficult to get from Wicklow to Mayo to get to possible relatives? A cousin has spent two days at the archives in Dublin to no avail so maybe we are hoping for too much. Thankyou all anyway. Andrew Dugan.