Author Topic: Two babies with same Christian names.  (Read 8446 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two babies with same Christian names.
« on: Thursday 15 May 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to help my friend unravel a mystery:-

Giatano Frezza, born 10/02/1910 To Luigi Frezza and Domenica Frezza nee Di Marco
 at 96, Leith St. Edinburgh.
 Giatano Frezza , born 22/04/1911 "      "         "              "            "      "          "
 at 52, Parliamntary St Glasgow.
 It seems obvious the first baby died before the second was born and the second was named in memory of the first. The mystery is when and where did the first baby Giatano die?
 It is possible that the name Giatano is mis-spelled and as the mother registered the first  and  she could not read or write an error would go un- noticed , for a time at least.
 The first baby was not registered until five months after birth(11/07/1910)
 Any help will be very much appreciated. I owe my friend a big favour and this would really thrill her. Many thanks in advance  for any suggestions  or directions .Viktoria.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Two babies with same Christian names.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 May 14 19:19 BST (UK) »
No spare credits, so can't check, but a search on:

*zza for surname

Gia* for forename

birth year 1910

and death between 1910 and 1911

gives one result, albeit it doesn't seem to be in either Glasgow or Edinburgh area.

Have you tried other combinations of the names with * in place of some letters?

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 May 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
Another thought, based on this post and how Frezza might 'sound', have you also checked under Fraser/Frazer:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=650990.0
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 May 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Viktoria,
Do you have the family on the 1911 Census? Is the baby Giatano on this Census? Might narrow down the search for a death certificate a little.
Looby :)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 May 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
The mystery is when and where did the first baby Giatano die?

Or maybe it isn't, maybe the child didn't die, maybe the child was very ill and expected to die, then next child was named the same name and the first child survived.
This happened more than you would expect and I have spent many long hours searching burials records purely based on this. naming two children the same and  in all but one case there was no death/burial records to be found as the first child had survived.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 May 14 01:43 BST (UK) »
The correct spelling of the child's first name is Gaetano. That may not help in the search for a death, but I would search on Frezza (+soundex) and G* (wildcard, allowing for all possible spellings that the registrar might have adopted) for the first name, without specifying a registration district ...

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 May 14 02:01 BST (UK) »
Maybe the death was never registered :-X ?
Or could they have been in England for a time and lost their baby there?

If the baby Giatano was registered on 11th Jul 1910, he must have been alive then (you would think).
The second baby is  born 22nd April 1911 in Glasgow. That's a 10 month period.

Looby :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 May 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the 1911 census? It will tell you how many children Domenica had had, how many were still living and how many had died.

Also, I agree that Gaetano is the more usual spelling of this name.

It's odd, however, that two different Registrars in two different cities should both spell it Giatano, which suggests that whatever the conventional or orthodox spelling might be (I am carefully avoiding the word 'correct' as I always do in relation to spelling of names in historical records), Luigi and Domenica thought that was the way to spell it.

In Italian, 'Gaetano' would be pronounced roughly 'guy-a-tano', specifically with a hard 'g' as in 'get' or 'go'. However Giatano would be pronounced 'jee-a-tano' with a soft 'g' as in 'gym' or 'geriatric'. So you could not possibly confuse them in Italian.

But suppose that Luigi and/or Domenica could not read or write? A Registrar might hear 'guy-a-tano' and write down 'Giatano', and a semi-literate parent might not realise that it had not been spelled in the normal Italian way.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 May 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
There is some information here re the family http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=650990.0

Heywood

Apologies - already posted. I thought scotmum' s post was about pronunciation and didn't check  ::) ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk