Author Topic: Two babies with same Christian names.  (Read 8445 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two babies with same Christian names.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 May 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Yes the daughter's birthplace is Italy on the Census. I cannot decipher her name. SP has the forename beginning with Ma----- but it's not Mary?
The couple have married very young and are obviously not very long in Scotland. Strange that Luiggi gives England as his birthplace yet Nationality if born in a foreign country is Italian.
Could it be possible that perhaps due to the couple's language difficulties and youth , the baby was never registered as deceased.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 May 14 21:05 BST (UK) »
I have been thinking along similar lines too, Looby. If there were language and customs/practices issues, this may be why there is no death showing for first born Giatano...

With the 1911 census and the info you posted, we have two children for parents, with one deceased. The 1911 census was on 2 April. The second birth reg for Giatano was only nearly 3 weeks later.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 May 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
Yes the daughter's birthplace is Italy on the Census. I cannot decipher her name. SP has the forename beginning with Ma----- but it's not Mary?
The couple have married very young and are obviously not very long in Scotland. Strange that Luiggi gives England as his birthplace yet Nationality if born in a foreign country is Italian.
Could it be possible that perhaps due to the couple's language difficulties and youth , the baby was never registered as deceased.

This post here http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.frezza/46/mb.ashx says that Luigi was born in Neath,Wales.

There is this:

1901  2842/ 35/ 33

154 Alma Street Birmingham

Caltano Frezza  56 yrs Ice Cream maker b Italy
 Amy Frezza  54 yrs b Italy
 Luie Frezza  son 12 yrs b Neath, Glamorgan
Vencems Cerrone  son in law 34 yrs  Ice cream maker b Italy
 Florry Cerrone  daughter 33 yrs  b Italy
 Mary  Cerrone  grandaughter 1 yrs b Birmingham

'Caltano' begins with a G on census - Giatano?

heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 May 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
I sent another  reply but it is out there somewhere!

Luigi and Domenica were married at Picinisco Italy 18 Oct 1907.
 So whenever they went  to Scotland, it was a maximum of 2years four months
 First baby Giatano born 17/02/1910. That is not much time to learn a language.I wonder if the baby was not registered as being born  within the usual and possibly legal time limit because Luigi and Domenica did not know they had to?
Perhaps the death was just  before   July 11th when the birth was finally registered, maybe a death cert canot be given where there is no birth cert.Does this sound feasible.?
Domenica ,who registered the birth , could not read or write. Is it possible she registered a birth when it ought to have been a death? but surely no burial without a death cert.

Anyway there is some forward movement thanks to you all.I Perhaps my friend needs to subscribe to Scotland`s People . 
I am grateful. Viktoria.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 May 14 22:12 BST (UK) »
Here is the birth for Luigi as per the other post

Luigi Frezza  Dec 1890   Neath  volume 11a  page 662

and there is this marriage in Birmingham  March 1899   vol 6d pg 233

Filemena Frezza and Vincenzo Cerrone    - Filemena must be 'Florry' on census

There are also marriages in Birmingham  for Antonio Frezza 1893 and Angela Maria Frezza 1900- perhaps all same family.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 May 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
Undrneath the signature of  he Registrar on the first baby Giatano`s Birth cert is another
:- JOHN(ie)  FYFE. EXAMINER. could this mean there was some discrepancy or abnormality?
 Joseph J. Anderson .Asst Registrar
( Three letters, possibly DNo then John(ie)Fyfe.Examiner.  This is different writing to he first signature. Why two people signing?.
Only  one signature on secong baby`s cert. Thanks everyone again. Viktoria.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 May 14 22:33 BST (UK) »
Undrneath the signature of  he Registrar on the first baby Giatano`s Birth cert is another
:- JOHN(ie)  FYFE. EXAMINER. could this mean there was some discrepancy or abnormality?
 Joseph J. Anderson .Asst Registrar
( Three letters, possibly DNo then John(ie)Fyfe.Examiner.  This is different writing to he first signature. Why two people signing?.
Only  one signature on secong baby`s cert. Thanks everyone again. Viktoria.

If the informant signs with an 'x', it is normal for the Registrar to sign again as witness to the person signing with 'x'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 May 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Viktoria etc,
     Intrigued, so used a spare credit (ScotlandsPeople) to check births of Surnames that begin with Frez, 1900-2000
          1910. Frezza, Giatano  (M) born  St Andrew, Edinburgh City, Midlothian.
          1911. Frezza, Giatano  (M) born  St Rollox, Glasgow City, Lanarkshire.
          1913. Frezza, Immacolata (F) born Canongate, Edinburgh City, Midlothian.
          1914. Frezza, Gloria (F) born St Andrew, Edinburgh City, Midlothian.

1963. Frezzae, Franco (M) born Duns, Berwickshire.
          1964. Frezza, Marcello (M) born Duns, Berwickshire.

No deaths for Surnames that begin with Frez, 1910-1920.

1911 Census (search is free) had 14 matches for Surnames that begin with Frez. 3 were for Surname Frezza at St Rollox, Glasgow City. (loobylooayr's post) Couiggi (M) age 21. Dominia (F) age 22 & Madey (F) age 3. Didn't use credits to check actual Census so don't know if names have been mistranscribed by ScotlandsPeople.
     10 matches were for surname Frez, 9 at Greenock, Renfrewshire, 1 at Dundee, Angus & 1 for surname Frezer at Morningside, Edinburgh.

Nothing on Ancestry for the surname Frezza in Scotland but quite a lot in England & Wales.

Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 May 14 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Dod,

I have looked at the original Census on SP after searching for a Frezza, forename begining Dom.
The writing on the Census return is a bit of a scrawl ! And the Frezza family's names are not easy to read. I took Luigi's name to be Luiggi but I can see how someone thought the first initial was a C . Domenica's name has been transcribed as Dominia (again it's not clear) and the daughter's name looks like Mary but couldn't find a connection with that surname.
Looby :)