Author Topic: May Violet BALDWIN / ELLIS / TUCKER / ???  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
May Violet BALDWIN / ELLIS / TUCKER / ???
« on: Friday 16 May 14 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

I was taking advantage of the free access to NZ records to follow up on the wonderful assistance I got on this thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=669468.63 and some info I had gleaned off Papers Past as a result. 

I am looking or more information about a marriage in 1950 which is outside the scope of the public search on the NZ BDM site.  I am hoping someone has access to additional resources that can provide more information.

May Violet Baldwin was born in India in 1910.  She traveled with her parents Alfred William and Violet May Baldwin to NZ in 1913.  Two brothers were born in India and two more in NZ (only one referred to in the thread above, I identified a second through newspaper memorials).

In 1929 May only daughter of Mr and Mrs A W Baldwin is engaged to William Peters.  (Not entirely relevant to the question, but I thought I'd throw it in.)

In 1931 May Violet Baldwin marries John Ellis.

In 1938 John and May Violet Ellis appear on the electoral roll.

In 1944, May Violet Baldwin marries Sergeant George Thomas Tucker USMC whose parents are from Harrisburg, Illinois.  She is using Baldwin, suggesting a divorce from John having divorced John in 1942.  They married at St David's, Khyber Pass, which I now know to be an Auckland location, but given May's family history I did a double-take at that.

In 1946 and 1949, May Violet Tucker appears on the electoral roll with the status Married but without George.  The fate of the War Bride.  I haven't seen a later entry except:

In 1950 a May Violet Tucker is married (New Zealand, Marriage Index, 1840-1950, Folio No 1009).  Only one party at a time is shown on this Index, I tried searching with no name, Married in New Zealand 1950 and 1009 in the Key Word box but that was not successful.

Of course, there are two possibilities.  One is that May joins George in the US.  The other is that something has happened to George, and May remarries.

If anyone is able to provide any additional information about the 1950 wedding of May Violet Tucker it would be appreciated, even if it rules my May out.

EDIT: Just after posting this I found the newspaper report of the 1942 divorce.  May applied for a divorce after John brought home a young woman who he said he was very much in love with.  That'll do it.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: May Violet BALDWIN / ELLIS / TUCKER / ???
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 May 14 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hello...

As the marriage occured less than eighty years ago we're not allowed to put the details on the public board.

However the same copyright laws do allow us to give the corresponding death details.

BDM NZ Deaths

1984/27724 - WHITTINGHAM, Harold Gordon - d.o.b 20 February 1915

2006/22522 - WHITTINGHAM, May Violet - d.o.b 1 November 1910

Regards
Beg

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 May 14 05:10 BST (UK) »
That was quick!

Thank you very much for that.

At some stage I'll work out what happened to Sgt Tucker.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 May 14 05:52 BST (UK) »
Whittingham is the lady you are looking for,I will send her death notice from the newspaper by PM

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 May 14 06:01 BST (UK) »
She was cremated at Waikumete cemetery in Auckland

http://www.waitakere.govt.nz/cnlser/cm/cemeterysearch/default.aspx

Cheers Janette

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 May 14 06:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Janette.  Much appreciated.

It appears Sgt Tucker (initially) survived the war, appearing on a 1946 list of Navy and Marine Corps casualties on the wounded list:

http://media.nara.gov/media/images/27/16/27-1550a.gif

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 May 14 06:42 BST (UK) »
If you contact the funeral director for May,they may be able to give you further information with regards to children,I will PM their email address

Cheers Janette

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 May 14 23:54 BST (UK) »
It appears the marriage did not last too long after the war. 

With some wonderful assistance over on the US board, I have discovered that George had remarried in 1947: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-18870-36425-8?cc=1614804 and died in 1996.

George was about 10 years younger that May, and Harold was about 5 years younger. 

Offline Her Shadow

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 August 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just joined RootsChat after deciding to do an online search of my grandmother, May Violet Baldwin (as a passing whim).  Nan married John Ellis and had two children, my mother Patricia Evelyn Ellis on 13th August 1933 and my uncle John Ellis in ?1938?  My biological grandfather used the family name of "Jack" and my uncle was referred to as John.  Jack and John are deceased.  Mum died in Waikato Hospital, New Zealand on February 5th 2017.  My father, Clifford Garforth was her first husband.  Their children are (*)  My biological father Cliff Garforth died in his fifties, around 1988 in Sydney Australia.  I have few memories of him, barely knew him, but caught up with him in Sydney in my late twenties.

Nan (May Violet), my mother and uncle were booked on a US ship to travel to the United States to start their new life and join her second husband Tucker (a USA serviceman who had been recalled back home), but received a letter from him advising that he wanted to end the marriage, so the trip was cancelled.  My understanding is that he was suffering from post traumatic syndrome from his wartime experiences and had met and fallen in love with someone else Stateside.  His parents were very much against his marriage to my Nan.  As fate would have it, the ship that would have taken Nan, Mum and Uncle John to the States was torpedoed and sunk (wartime). A lucky escape.

Nan married Harold Whittingham prior to my birth.  He was the only grandfather I ever knew.  Poppa was a wonderful man who left me with treasured memories from my childhood.  He died from heart disease in 1979 (or early 1980).  They had divorced a few years prior to that.  Nan lived to the grand old age of 93 (in her 94th year) and died from natural causes in July 2008.  Also, Nan was born on All Saints Day, 1st November 1915 in Fort Allahabad in India.  Not 1910.  Pops was younger than her by about five years, so he couldn't have been born in 1910, more like 1920 or thereabouts because he died in his early 60's, shortly after becoming eligible for the Old Age Pension here in New Zealand. 

I trust this is of some help.  Feel free to contact me if you require further information.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.