Author Topic: Margaret McGuire - born 1833  (Read 2309 times)

Offline JoshWa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret McGuire - born 1833
« on: Friday 16 May 14 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

Just need some help & advice in tracking down more info on my 3rd Great Grandmother.
I've tracked down records of her in the UK & gone back as far as I can & I believe I've hit a brick wall as far as the UK is concerned.

She was born approx 1833, her marriage certificate, however, states she was 21 at the time of her marriage in 1856 but the census records contradict this, with the 1891 listing her birthplace as being Cork. (1881's Census lists her birth record as being Youghal, Cork).
I've got a copy of her marriage certificate, which states she married William Barry in 1856 in Cardiff & lists her father as being Michael McGuire (their name is spelt as M'Gwire) who was a Mason, but that is the most information I am able to get that pre-dates what I've already found.

I've tried searching for any documents listing her & her father around her birth year in Ireland, as well as varied spellings of McGuire but can't seem to find anything - so I was wondering if anybody who has more experience with Irish records is able to help me?
Thanks in advance for any help that you're able to give (:

Josh

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McGuire - born 1833
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 May 14 06:34 BST (UK) »

You are far back in the context of Irish records and the surnames McGuire (and variants) and the forenames Margaret and Michael are common, so even if you find a seeming match in the first place, the odds are stacked against it actually being your Margaret. 

With that caveat, note that a search of the RootsIreland website index brings back a baptismal/birth record for a Margaret "M Guire" to parents Michael and Mary in 1828, the parish / district is Youghal (Roman Catholic).

The content is pay to view, but for that era the record will contain precious little additional information.

Offline JoshWa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 May 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
So it seems I'm at a dead end as far as Margaret goes, unless I find someone else who has her added to their tree.

Thank you :)

Offline JoshWa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 May 14 15:08 BST (UK) »
I've just searched on RootsIreland and found a Baptism record in Cork for a Margaret Maguire in 1836.
are there any other sites i'm able to use to try and glean some more information from this, without having to pay for 25 credits?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 May 14 17:17 BST (UK) »
Had a look at RootsIreland, that 1836 one isn't in Youghal parish.
There are 3 in Youghal with father Michael. Margaret Guire 1824 Margaret McGuire 1826 and Margaret M Guire 1828.
The National Library has the baptism records which they are planning to put online but when and with what company no one knows yet.
We wait and wait.
If you do spend money on RootsIreland be aware it's only a transcription that have no original images.
Unless you can find something more about her in the UK records, like her mother's or a siblings name, it's unlikely you'll get any further.

Offline shevvy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 July 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
My GGMa!  I also am looking for info.  Her brother was Michael McGuire born 1834 and there is a church in Youghal (proddy) where there is beautiful stonework done by one Michael McGuire a mason.  I believe he might be my GGGDa.  The churchyard is full due to the Great Famine and so there are unmarked graves over the fence in a paddock.
You will find Margaret McGuire and my GMa Margaret in the 1901 census at 38 Amherst St Grangetown Cardiff.  My Gma married John Clarke and it is showing her first 2 x children Mary Ann known as Polly and John plus Margaret McGuire widow  and her son James Barry and his boys James and William. Then Michael McGuire also widowed and a boarder.

Offline shevvy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 July 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
My Mother told me Margaret and William Barry ( M McG) fought about religion all their lives as he was RC and she was ? Anglican.  All the boys were raised as RC and the girls as Protestants.

Offline threeamigos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 January 19 20:19 GMT (UK) »
My GGGrandMother was Margaret 'Peg' Maguire from Youghal, Co. Cork.
She married William Gould/Goold. Her uncle was Fr John Maguire,  Parish Priest of Youghal in 1798.
I don't know who Margaret's parents or her siblings were.
On the Baptismal records for Margaret and William Gould/Goold's children Maguire is also spelt McGuire.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 January 19 20:34 GMT (UK) »
churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie   Church Marriage results for William Gould   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nay/

not there
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.