Author Topic: Hastings Parish Register Lookup Request - Webster Family  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Flesch Genealogist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hastings Parish Register Lookup Request - Webster Family
« on: Saturday 17 May 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for information on Rosina Webster and her children.  Info I was able to find is as follows:  Rosina Webster, birth, Mar 1867, Vol 2b, Pg 23 and death, Sept 1946, Vol 5h, Pg 23.
Roseina Webster, birth, Sept 1907, Vol 2b, Pg 12.  Katie Louise Webster, birth, Dec 1908, Vol 2b, Pg 13. 

For the the girls I would love any info on parents and such so I can prove they are Rosina's children.  In 1901 Rosina is listed in the census as William Smith's wife but in the 1911 Census she is listed as the housekeeper and the two girls are listed an surname Smith but then it is crossed out and Webster written in above.  It appears that both girls were born Webster.

Rosina also had another daughter, Florence May, born 1896 and she is listed in the 1901 Census with her mother as a Smith.  I do know that in 1911, she is listed in the Liverpool Sheltering Home and then shortly after that she was sent to Canada as a British home child.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This is my first request so if I am doing this incorrectly, please let me know.

Thanks
D

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hastings Parish Register Lookup Request - Webster Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 May 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat. You have done everything perfectly (and provided plenty of information) :)

My initial thought is that purchasing a birth certificate or two should help you find mother and hopefully father as well. Let us know if you need help ordering.

Without looking too carefully it appears that you may be looking at an illegitimate birth or two - surnames in these cases can alternate between mother's married name (if she later married) and maiden name, as it appears to be with your Websters.

Alternatively Rosina may have been previously married to Mr Webster, he died and she married Mr Smith.

Something else to keep in mind - if a woman was married and had a child, that child would automatically take her married surname even if the husband was not the father.

Just speculation but a couple of birth certificates should clarify the situation.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 May 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
Related thread here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=687161.msg5312474
(if you have related threads, please supply links to avoid duplication)  :)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 May 14 02:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I received Rosina Webster's (1907) birth register today and it doesn't give any more info than I already have.  I am waiting for the other two to come in to see if there is any further info.  I'm not sure if this Rosina Webster's mother is my Rosina webster.  Is there any way to confirm that it's the same lady?  There is no father listed.

Thanks
Diane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 June 14 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I received all of the birth certificates including the one for Ivy Rosina Smith.  It seems that Rosina Webster and Katie Louisa(e) Webster did not have a father listed on their birth certificates.  Ivy Rosina Smith has William Smith listed as her father. The thing that links them together and makes me think it's all the same family is Florence is listed in the 1901 census as a daughter with Ivy and then they both disappear.  Well out of the household at least.  Florence shows up at a different location in the 1911 census and I have confirmed with Barnardo Homes that it is my Florence Webster.  Ivy disappears until I find her marriage in 1926-27.  Some of the boys listed on the 1901 census are still living in the household in the 1911 census.  I guess I would like to know what happened to Rosina after my great grandmother Florence was sent away.  How did she end up back in a work house.  I am waiting for her file to arrive but they tell me its a 6 to 10 month wait list.

Thanks
Diane

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 May 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Did you ever receive more information from Barnardos?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 01:38 GMT (UK) »
I did receive the information from Barnardo's, it was very interesting.  I was able to find out that my great grandmother, Florence, was a spirited young lady who didn't seem to appreciate the situation she found herself in.  I ordered birth certificates for all of Rosina's children (Florence's brothers and sisters) and have actually made contact with some of their descendants. 

What I wouldn't give to be able to talk to Rosina and Florence to find out what they thought of their lives.