Author Topic: Is he Dutch?  (Read 2779 times)

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is he Dutch?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 May 14 20:30 BST (UK) »
Quick link to Aaltje's marriage:
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0zae/

It appears that a daughter b. 1827 was recognised at the time of the marriage.  It doesn't look like her father was a witness - at sea?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rudolf H B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • His gt grandchildren KIA on both sides in WW1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 June 14 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hello AnnieP,

the town and state archives in the Netherlands have excellent online databases, the search is much better than in familysearch. - And they have more than BMD.

Is he Dutch? Is he German?

He might be Frisian or Nederduits!

Good luck
Rudolf
Goldschmidt; Gregory, Maude, Nancy Price, Welby (UK),
Goldschmidt > Goldsmith, Benetta, Bloom, Gillis, McDonough, Moses, Wheaton (Australia / NZ),
Spatz & Henderson (Greater London),
Herbert Spatz MC > H. Spence MC (Salisbury),
Spatz > Spence, Nichols. Kidd (Bromley > Manchester South, India),
Spatz > Spaatz (Boyertown, PA - USA),
Engel & Joly (Philadelphia, PA - USA).
Kummerer (London, Chicago & Australia).

WW1 - Cousins Killed in Action in the Australian, English, French & German Armies

Offline SteveJD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi AnnieP

I, too, am a descendant of Geert Henriks Noorman and Ann Moth via their son Henry. From the British Newspaper Archives site I learnt that Geert's ship the Willem Frederik, of which he was the master, sought refuge in Cowes in October 1821 after being damaged in a storm whilst carrying a cargo of timber from Riga in Latvia to Toulon in France. It appears that he was then obliged to remain on the Isle of Wight whilst arranging the sale of his cargo and the fate of his damaged vessel. Subsequently, he seems to have put down roots (of sorts) in Cowes, whilst continuing with his merchant career. Having recently discovered this thread I wondered whether you had managed to find out any more information on Geert?

Kind regards

SteveJD

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, I haven't touched my Moth tree for ages so am not really up to date. If as you say he was in Cowes from 1821 it seems to be a very long time before he met Ann Moth as their first son Joseph Noorman wasn't born until 1838. I've looked briefly but can find no birth registration for him. I see Geert stayed around for about 7 years at least as there were more children. You've got me interested again but I'm in the middle of writing a family history for a friend hence the lapse in the Moth history.
Unfortunately I've not done much research into this couple as it's not my direct line but I'd be interested if you can find anything else.
AnnieP

Offline SteveJD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Thanks for your reply. Like you, it has been some years since I originally researched the Moth line of my family, and, unfortunately, I seem to have mislaid my primary information sources. However, from the general notes I recorded on my family tree at that time I noted that the father of the first nine children of Ann Moth was listed as Samuel Moth, although, interestingly – and perhaps tellingly – her first two children, both daughters, included the names of Butchers and Burgess amongst their given names. The next four children have Geert Hendriks Noorman listed as their father, who, rather mysteriously and perhaps erroneously, I recorded as living next door to Ann! Then there appear to be two more children with father(s) unknown. My direct ancestor Henry Noorman Moth, who in later life always went by the name Henry Moth, was a colourful character who appeared to spend most of his adult life in and out of prison. Anyway, like you, this exchange has rekindled my interest in this branch of my family, and I shall let you know if I find out any further information.

Kind regards

Steve