Author Topic: Florence Beatrice St Clair b 1877 Melbourne  (Read 13418 times)

Offline CJB123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Florence Beatrice St Clair b 1877 Melbourne
« on: Sunday 18 May 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
Attempting to find correct details for Florence Beatrice St Clair.  I have found that she was born in 1877 in St Kilda, according to her death certificate, and died in Ashfield Sydney 1958, her parents shown as James St Clair and Ellen Forgaty.  Unable to trace Ellen Forgaty, and the available James St Clair's don't seem to fit in.  Florence's 1st marriage of 4, took place in Sydney 1898.  Wondering if she was connected to George St Clair and Ann Thompson, who arrived in Victoria in 1840, from Ireland.  Would very much appreciate any light thrown on the matter,

Thank you, Trying ???
Adds (Surrey,Australia) Absalom (NBL England) Barrass (NBL, DUR, Australia) Frazer/Waugh (FERM Ireland, Australia) Johnston (CUMBRIA England, Australia) Blundell (Kent, Australia) Rattenbury (DEV England, Australia) Vallance (PAISLEY Scotland, Australia) Williams /Oats(ST JUST IN PENWITH Cornwall England, Australia)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Beatrice St Clair b 1877 Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 May 14 15:10 BST (UK) »
One of Florence's marriage certs would be more reliable for parents' names; do you have any of those?

Debra  :)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 May 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hmm, I don't see a 1898 marriage.  I see some info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelma_Bate

But most records don't seem to include the name "Beatrice".  Are these the four marriages?
1896 - Lawrence Anderson to Florence St Clair (registered twice? Sydney/Goulburn)
1899 - Olaf Olsen to Florence Andersen (Sydney)
(two daughters registered - both with mother simply Florence)
1912 - Carl G Sundstrom to Florence Olsen (Redfern)
1919 - Sydney H Sandry to Florence Sundstrom (Marrickville)
1958 - death of Florence Sandry (parents on the index are James and Ellen)

"St Clair" families are sometimes found under plain old "Sinclair".
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CJB123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 May 14 05:03 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Florence's parents names don't appear on some of her marriage certificates.  I have the information regarding Thelma.  It seems strange that I can't find anything on her supposed mother, Ellen Forgaty.  Have tried various versions, but nothing.

Thank you both for your interest.

Regards Trying
Adds (Surrey,Australia) Absalom (NBL England) Barrass (NBL, DUR, Australia) Frazer/Waugh (FERM Ireland, Australia) Johnston (CUMBRIA England, Australia) Blundell (Kent, Australia) Rattenbury (DEV England, Australia) Vallance (PAISLEY Scotland, Australia) Williams /Oats(ST JUST IN PENWITH Cornwall England, Australia)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 May 14 05:37 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Florence's parents names don't appear on some of her marriage certificates. 

Are you referring to marriage certs from NSW BDM for marriages  mid to late 19th Century?   If so, then those elusive blanks are not brickwalls, rather they are simply hurdles.   NSW BDM has not ever completed a task they commenced back in 1912, so there's many NSW BDM records of marriages that have blanks.... 

NSW BDM website acknowledges this :  http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh/bdm_rec.html
"Some Registry marriage records from these years recorded only the details pertaining to the parties to the marriage. Details of the parents had been left blank although they appeared in the Church registers. These registrations were amended and a notation made in the margin to record the circumstances of the amendment.

The task of reconciling the Early Church Records and amending the marriage registrations was never finalised. The Registry's records from these years are not complete and it can be worthwhile for genealogists to contact the relevant church to find details missing from a marriage certificate or in the case of a birth, a baptism record where there is no corresponding civil registration."

Here's a thread I did up quite some time ago to help overcome these hurdles.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=660501.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 May 14 05:50 BST (UK) »
Attempting to find correct details for Florence Beatrice St Clair.  I have found that she was born in 1877 in St Kilda, according to her death certificate, and died in Ashfield Sydney 1958, her parents shown as James St Clair and Ellen Forgaty. 

Something is amiss somewhere….

NSW BDM online index has just the one ASHFIELD death registered in 1958 for a  Florence Beatrice.  It is referenced #1068    Florence  Beatrice TREVILLION, with parents given names displayed as Thomas and Rebecca. 

According to SR NSW, Archives Investigator Index, a Florence Breatrice TREVILLION’s DD was 31 Dec 1957, and probate was granted 20 March 1958.   So that probate packet may well have information about Florence’s family, most likely also including a copy of the death cert, and perhaps marriage certs too.
http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/

ADD
NSW BDM online index has a death registered at RYDE (ie not Ashfield) for a Florence SANDRY,(no middle name) for 1958.   Her parents are displayed as James and Ellen (#30232) 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline CJB123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 May 14 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hello JM, Florence's last marriage was to Sydney Sandry, and she died at Ashfield.  That marriage certificate doesn't give any information either.  The annoying thing is that I found a record of Florence's birth, in Melbourne, which showed her father as "John", but no mother.  Unfortunately I never wrote down the cert. no.  No way can I find it again!!  Thank you, Trying

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 May 14 06:33 BST (UK) »
Would you please type up the info as per the 1958 death registration ....  You see, the online index clearly has RYDE as the registration place for Florence SANDRY, and that same index entry does NOT include a middle name. 

The headings for that registration
Full name of the deceased,
sex and age at death,
date and place of death,
place of residence,
usual occupation
marital status at death
Place of marriage/s,   (Each marriage should be listed separately, and the children of each marriage listed under their respective parent)
age/s when married,
full name of spouse/s
Children's name and ages
Parent's names and mother's maiden name
Cause of death and duration of last illness
Burial or cremation date and place
Funeral Director
Name of Informant, and relationship to deceased.

It is quite possible that there is information on the dc that is not as reliable as you would want.  However, even if you suspect it is not correct info, often these 'flawed' pieces of info can help resolve some apparent brickwalls.    :) 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 May 14 06:37 BST (UK) »
I can find Florence SANDRY (without a middle name) on the Electoral Rolls to 1930 to 1954.  Cannot find Florence Beatrice SANDRY.... 

Cheers,  JM