Author Topic: Florence Beatrice St Clair b 1877 Melbourne  (Read 13421 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Beatrice St Clair b 1877 Melbourne
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 25 May 14 05:07 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0zf2/
Nov 1898 Oceana Vance from Port Macquarie to Sydney The captains name is hard to read may be not Anderson . Maybe Ank……
Can anyone else read the surname?

Geo ANKERS - MASTER:

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1898/11/072oce.htm

Other links to records for the Oceania Vance:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0zf5/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0zf6/

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 26 May 14 02:48 BST (UK) »
May I please ask if you have the birth certs (or official transcriptions) for the children of Florence and Olaf OLSEN, and if so, what details were recorded on these re Florence?   I would expect these to record the baby's:
 :) Date and place of birth (if at home, the street address)
 :) the baby's names (not their surname) and if present or not (so "present" indicating the baby was present when the birth was being registered)
 :) Sex (Male or Female)
 :) Father's name, occupation, age and birthplace (so first instance of a possible surname for the baby)
 :) Date and place of marriage, and details of previous issue of the marriage (the full date, and the town, colony or state, nation etc. for the marriage and the full details for living issue recorded in chronological order by name (first name and then initials) and their then ages, then if any issue had already succumbed, their gender and number eg "2 males deceased")
Mother's name and maiden surname and age and birthplace (so if mother had been previously married, based on the info our OP has provided, this section should read "Florence Beatrice, formerly Anderson, nee St Clair" then her age and her place of birth ....
 :) Then the informant's details (name, relationship to baby, and address) and the name of the midwife, and the details of the registrar/deputy registrar. 

So if Florence was the informant, (and I would expect her to register the births, afterall her husband was apparently a mariner so likely often away at sea)  then she ought to have provided FIRST HAND info as to her full name (including "Beatrice") and her maiden surname, and other details to help too.

I have not yet found any evidence of the ending of Florence's marriage to Lawrence prior to the index details of the Olaf OLSEN marriage, so may I please again ask for the details from the death registration for Florence.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 26 May 14 03:13 BST (UK) »
Probably more than one Florence OLSEN in Sydney in 1901 but here is a paid public notice.

SMH 22 Feb 1901 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14356287
PUBLIC NOTICE - If the man who is slandering me does not discontinue doing so I will take legal proceedings against him.   FLORENCE OLSEN.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 26 May 14 03:46 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/15701078  SMH 9 Dec 1916

SUNDSTROM v SUNDSTROM.

Florence Sundstrom, formerly Olsen, asked for a decree against Carl Gustaf Sundstrom,for restitution of conjugal rights. The marriage was celebrated at Redfern in July,1912, according to the rites of the Methodist Church of Australasia. His Honor ordered respondent to return to the petitioner within 21 days of the service of the order. Mr.R W. Fraser represented the petitioner.

Perhaps I am being a tad pedantic, but I would have expected this law notice to show Florence’s middle name and her maiden name.     

Carl Gustaf SUNDSTROM and Lewis James DAVIES were proprietors of a firm at 112 Hunter St, Sydney but perhaps that was in the 1920s ...... It was a Metal Polishing business, as per NSW SRO's indexes.  :) http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-online

There is a public tree at ancestry which has one of the daughters of Florence and Olaf OLSEN marrying  26 March 1926 at Marrickville NSW, to a son of Lewis James DAVIES....   No supporting documents, so there's no validation available as the NSW BDM online index does NOT show a marriage DAVIES = OLSEN for any year 1900 to 1963

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 26 May 14 04:21 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the following marriage has information provided by the bride about her mother ...   Florence ......
NSW BDM Online index for 1926, registered Marrickville District, with Ref No. 1217 (so early in 1926)
TWO surnames indexed for the groom with Given name and initial as Edward T.   The surnames indexed are DAVIS and HALLIDAY. 

1930 Electoral roll has a Hilda Marguerite and and Edward Thomas at 3 John St Ashfield.  The surname there is DAVIS (NOT Davies), and in 1958 they are still at John St, ASHFIELD, but at no. 11a.     They were there in 1954 (at 11a).... and yes, Florence SANDRY was also at 11a in 1954.    So that is DAVIS, not DAVIES and not HALLIDAY on the electoral rolls.  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 26 May 14 04:49 BST (UK) »
Sydney Morning Herald 26 NOV 1996:

DAVIS Hilda Margurite age 96yrs d. 23 NOV 1996 late of Fairfield, formerly of Ettalong.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 26 May 14 05:26 BST (UK) »
An interesting index entry NSW BDM online births

Thelma V SUNDSTROM, daughter of Olaf and Florence, registered Sydney #19181 and same reference number for same parents names but as Thelma F OLSEN.   Perhaps there has been an endorsement/alteration noted, on the original registration entry.  If so, I would expect an official transcription would include the details in the notes, particularly if both surnames were listed on the original order. 

If I may speculate, IF this is the same lass' birth (and I feel sure it is, same ref nos. etc) then  it is likely showing Florence OLSEN changing Thelma's surname after Florence's next marriage in 1912 to SUNDSTROM, but of course the official details from that certificate would be needed to verify this speculative thought.     There's a 1934 marriage registered in Sydney for Thelma, and it may well have information about Florence, perhaps giving permission for the bride (if not yet 21 years of age) to marry  :) (NSW BDM #10174)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 26 May 14 05:46 BST (UK) »
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/bate-thelma-florence-12184 

Florence and Olaf OLSEN's daughter Thelma Florence  :) 

Yes, Thelma was once married to Jeff BATE who later married Zara HOLT, the then widow of Harold HOLT, a Prime Minister of Australia who disappeared in Dec 1967.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zara_Bate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bate

Cheers,  JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 26 May 14 06:02 BST (UK) »
What interesting observations and research pieces in this thread ;D

Good also to see Trying back online. ;D

Will be great to see his/her thoughts on the findings and hopefully the promised additional information Maybe we can advance the search then.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk