Author Topic: Florence Beatrice St Clair b 1877 Melbourne  (Read 13439 times)

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Beatrice St Clair b 1877 Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 May 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
 :) Just flagging
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 May 14 07:25 BST (UK) »
JM might correct me on this, but in my opinion if her parents' names are not recorded on a 1919 marriage certificate then she didn't know who they were.  If this is the case then her birth surname may not be ST CLAIR.

7819/1919
SANDRY, SYDNEY H
SUNDSTROM, FLORENCE
Registered at MARRICKVILLE

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 May 14 07:44 BST (UK) »
Yes Dundee is right.  The officiating clergy/registrar if at reg office needed to make  enquiries and establish she was free to marry and record info on the register.  I wonder though if our OP is looking at a PARTIAL rather a FULL trabscription.   Bride needed to go through 'hoops' if she did not know her own nee name BUT 1919  ....  If a widow remarries then proof of that earlier marriage and a death cert would suffice.

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 May 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
Probably worthwhile saying at this point that I, like others here I'm sure, have trawled the Victorian indexes and there is not a birth as described.

Nor is there anything resembling-

The annoying thing is that I found a record of Florence's birth, in Melbourne, which showed her father as "John", but no mother.  Unfortunately I never wrote down the cert. no.  No way can I find it again!!  Thank you, Trying

Sue

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 May 14 08:13 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Florence's parents names don't appear on some of her marriage certificates.

Which marriage certs have you purchased?

Information on death certificates isn't reliable.

As mentioned by Sue, there is no birth registered for a Florence ST CLAIR in Victoria with the parents you name. I have trawled all theST CLAIR/SINCLAIR births in Victoria between 1857 and 1888 and none with the parents names you mention.

I have never seen a birth registration in Victoria with no mention of a mother.  Sounds more like a death registration.

There are no ST CLAIR registrations ie birth or death with father John in Vic to 1888.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CJB123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 May 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you one and all.  I forgot to mention that when I found Florence's birth, it wasn't under St Clair, but something very much like it.  I too have trawled through the Vic Pioneer Index disc but can't find anything, looking at all options.  It's very fustrating not remembering!!  Waiting on marriage certificate with Lawrence Anderson.  Will post details if anything comes to light.  I have thought that she may not be a St Clair, but some of the Melbourne family came to Sydney and seemed to live in the Ashfield area.  Will keep living in hope.

Trying
Adds (Surrey,Australia) Absalom (NBL England) Barrass (NBL, DUR, Australia) Frazer/Waugh (FERM Ireland, Australia) Johnston (CUMBRIA England, Australia) Blundell (Kent, Australia) Rattenbury (DEV England, Australia) Vallance (PAISLEY Scotland, Australia) Williams /Oats(ST JUST IN PENWITH Cornwall England, Australia)

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 May 14 01:40 BST (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry with her birthday as being 8 March 1877 in Australia, but there is no information attached as to where this date comes from.

Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Offline CJB123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 May 14 03:27 BST (UK) »
Now I have received quite a few details, including 4 marriage certs for Florence.  John St Clair, Horse Trader, Richmond, and Ellen Fogarty shown as parents.  Florence was born Richmond, not St Kilda, according to the death cert.  I'm still none the wiser as to the parents.  The only ones who could fit in were only children in 1877. 

The family story is that upon John St Clair's death, Ellen and Florence moved to Sydney and Ellen ran a boarding house for seamen.  Florence's first 2 husbands were seamen.  Lawrence Anderson and Olaf Olsen.  Apparently when Olaf died, his friend, Carl Sundstrom, "looked" after the family, but as he was the manager of a firm the board weren't too keen on the arrangement, so they married in 1912, after a couple of children.  She then married Sydney Sandry in 1919.

Can't find if Ellen ever remarried in Sydney, or where she died.  Perhaps someone in the "Brains Trust" can come up with some ideas.
Adds (Surrey,Australia) Absalom (NBL England) Barrass (NBL, DUR, Australia) Frazer/Waugh (FERM Ireland, Australia) Johnston (CUMBRIA England, Australia) Blundell (Kent, Australia) Rattenbury (DEV England, Australia) Vallance (PAISLEY Scotland, Australia) Williams /Oats(ST JUST IN PENWITH Cornwall England, Australia)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 May 14 06:57 BST (UK) »
I have found that she was born in 1877 in St Kilda, according to her death certificate, and died in Ashfield Sydney 1958, her parents shown as James St Clair and Ellen Forgaty.  Unable to trace Ellen Forgaty,

I forgot to mention that when I found Florence's birth, it wasn't under St Clair, but something very much like it.

Now I have received quite a few details, including 4 marriage certs for Florence.  John St Clair, Horse Trader, Richmond, and Ellen Fogarty shown as parents.  Florence was born Richmond, not St Kilda, according to the death cert.  I'm still none the wiser as to the parents.

The only registration that has the mother Ellen FOGARTY and father John around 1877.  Bit of a leap from OCONNOR to ST CLAIR though  ::)

OCONNOR Florence
Father John  Mother Ellen FOGARTY
At Richmond  1878  Reg#47799

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk