Author Topic: Thomas Meldrum 1717 - 1777 of Cleish:  (Read 4610 times)

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Meldrum 1717 - 1777 of Cleish:
« on: Sunday 18 May 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
       Thomas Meldrum 1717-1777 of Cleish, is my 5th great grandfather on my mother's side of tree. I know that Thomas and his siblings, Janet 1702, James 1705, Henry 1708, Martine 1711, Isabel 1714 and Janet 1719 were all baptised in Cleish and fathers name was Thomas, only other reference on documents was at the Kirk, in the Kirk or just Kirk, at Kirk on all documents. Is this just a reference to where the baptisms took place or where Thomas the father lived in Cleish.

ie. Martine Meldrum to Thomas at Kirk, this is all it says on OPR Birth, 460/00 0010 0012 Cleish.

There is no reference to whom the mother of the children was on any document and I cannot find any other reference to pinpoint whom she was, can anyone help me break down this wall in regard to father  and mother of my direct ancestor.

Kind regards,
                                                                     Duncan.

McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Meldrum 1717 - 1777 of Cleish:
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if the reference to Kirk was in fact Cleish Kirk - the church itself or Cleish hamlet, full name Kirkton of Cleish

http://www.kinross.cc/kinross/cleish.htm

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Meldrum 1717 - 1777 of Cleish:
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 September 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but...
According to the pre-1855 MIs there are only three headstone inscriptions for the Meldrum name in Kinross.
All of them are in Cleish Churchyard.

5: “keep three breeds” (i.e. breadths) *
William Duncan 1775, 47, wife Euphan Meldrum 1808, 80
* That is what’s written in the pre-1855 MI book. I’ve no idea what it means or why it’s on the headstone.

10: John Flockhart liferent tenant in Flockhouse on estate Blairadam 16.2.1782 15.8.1854,
wife Christian Meldrum died at Dunfermline, daughter Mary 21.9.1834, 15m

11: John Meldrum 8.6.1789, 87, wife Janet Murey 7.8.1789, 78, son Robert 31.5.1794, 57
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.