Author Topic: James Timothy Aloysius Morris b either 1844 or 1845 [16 June]  (Read 7834 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Timothy Aloysius Morris b either 1844 or 1845 [16 June]
« on: Monday 19 May 14 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hoping to solve this one with your assistance please...

James Timothy Aloysius Morris was a son of Anthony James Morris & Elizabeth Catherine Hanley.

Given James was listed as Catholic in later life I am assuming he was Catholic at birth [I am aware he could have converted as many did but my instincts are he was Catholic at birth but am open to any religion]. 

I have 2 dates of birth for James and I assume one is a typo.  The dates are either:
16 Jun 1845, or
16 Jun 1844

On the 1891 Census for England James said he was born in Longford Co Ireland. James died in Galway Ireland.

Have my fingers crossed for any record that will confirm which year.

Kind regards

Westy11

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Timothy Aloysius Morris b either 1844 or 1845 [16 June]
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 May 14 06:08 BST (UK) »

A search of the RootsIreland website index brings back an 1844 church baptism for a James Anthony Morris with parents James Morris and Elizabeth Hanley. The given parish is Longford Roman Catholic.

I wonder if he is related? The record content is pay to view.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 May 14 06:28 BST (UK) »
This doesn't answer your question, but note that the RootsIreland website index also brings back an 1851 church baptism for a Catherine Morris with parents Anthony Morris and Elizabeth Hanley. The given parish is Clifden Roman Catholic.  Also a church baptism for a William Michael Morris with same parents and same parish.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 May 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaffy

Thanks so much for those finds. 

I am really curious about the records you have located. 

James Timothy Aloysius Morris's name was in two books both as James Timothy Aloysius Morris of Ballinaboy Co Longford Galway.  His parents were listed in one only being Anthony James Morris and Lizzie Josephine Hanley.  Both sets of names fit the records you have provided as well as the location of Clifden.

This is probably a silly question but so be it - would or could the baptism record give greater information than the transcript provides? And secondly can a copy of the baptism records be purchased?

Westy11 ???

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 May 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
I only mentioned the 1844 RootsIreland baptism for James Anthony Morris on the possibility that he might be a brother of James Timothy Aloysius Morris (given that the 1891 England Census indicated that the latter was born in Longford) and speculating that the potential "brothers", particularly if they were born within a year or two of each other, might have been conflated in the information more widely available (for example, on the internet).

BTW, your reference to Ballinaboy is interesting, there is a townland called Ballinaboy in the civil parish of Ballindoon and poor law union of Clifden, County Galway. I'm wondering, is this a young married family that moved from County Longford in the 1840s to County Galway in the 1850s?

"... would or could the baptism record give greater information than the transcript provides?

Can't see that happening. Now, transcription error is another matter altogether. 

"... can a copy of the baptism records be purchased?"

Online, I suspect not, the only recourse may be to go through the microfilm at the National Library of Ireland:

http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 May 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
1881 has a James T Morris 30 yrs born Galway and the marriage indexes for later that year have him as James Joseph T A Morris.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Gaffy & heywood

The search for a correct date of baptism/birth seems to be uncovering an interesting story especially with the addition of the name Joseph.  I also find it interesting two boys baptised in the possible same year [1844]  have such similar names.  I know this is commonplace but nonetheless interesting. 

I searched for the burial of  James Anthony Morris in Ireland but without success.  Today I shall try for burial in England. 

Gaffy - you mention "family that moved from County Longford in the 1840s to County Galway in the 1850s".  What is the source of this information please so that I might be able to recreate it???

Heywood - what is the source for the marriage index you mention please?  I am assuming the 1881 is a reference to the Census but am uncertain if this is Ireland or England???

Westy11

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 04:36 BST (UK) »

Gaffy - you mention "family that moved from County Longford in the 1840s to County Galway in the 1850s".  What is the source of this information please so that I might be able to recreate it???

I'm basing it on the speculation that James Morris and Elizabeth Hanley who baptised son James Anthony in the Irish midlands in 1844 (and may be the parents of James Timothy Aloysius Morris) are the same people as Anthony Morris and Elizabeth Hanley who baptised daughter Catherine in 1851 and son William Michael in 1853 in West Galway, a fair distance away.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 07:15 BST (UK) »
Ah!!!!! Some days I am a bit slow  :-\ Can only blame it on the flu!

I located another record this time from Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland in which is stated James Aloysius Morris of Ballinaboy co Galway J.P. was born 16 June 1848 eldest son of  Anthony James Morris and Eliza Hanley his wife, and grandson of Anthony James Morris and Ellinor Stanton his wife.

Curious. I wonder if there is any chance of finding this date in the baptism register or transcripts?

Westy11