Author Topic: Re: The Adam(s) Family  (Read 4263 times)

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Adam(s) Family
« on: Monday 19 May 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
My several great grandparents are Hamilton Adam(s) and Jane Askin first sighted in Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire where they had their daughter Jane christened 13 Sep 1818.  The entry says they are from Achaleach or something like that.  They went on to have James 1819, Mary 1822, and Hamilton 1823 in Stoneykirk.  There was a daughter Jessie whose christening I can't find.   From the 1851 census, Margaret 1827, Elizabeth 1829 and Agnes 1831 all state they were born in Kilmarnock but I found their christening records in the Tolbooth Church in Edinburgh.   David and Jean were born in Kilmarnock but no christening records, and then David and William in George St. Paisley with no christening records.  The 1841 census has Hamilton Adam(s), aged 40, born outside census county and a mason.  His wife Jane is listed as being born in Ireland.  Hamilton did not make the 1851 census as Jane is declared a widow.  However, son James' wedding register entry states father's name was Hamilton and that he was a Master Mason.  There appears to be no will and I suspect they were members of the Free Church which is why I cannot find any records.  I also find it odd that for a master mason, he has left no records to say where he was born or who is parents were.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

the farm in Stoneykirk would be Auchleach which is still a working farm.  The Free Church began in 1843 so maybe you mean one of the other secession churches.

Ian A McClumpha

Offline colliersbairn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 01:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ian
They seemed to be "religious" about getting their family baptized until they left Edinburgh and then nothing.  However the Tolbooth church was apparently quite extreme compared to other Presbyterian churches which is why I suspect they went elsewhere.