Author Topic: Rafborough  (Read 3069 times)

Offline simon tree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rafborough
« on: Monday 19 May 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
   Just found out my g grandparents lived in a place called Rafborough any information welcome . I do know its part of Farnborough Wondered if it was a community in its self ?

Regards simon

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Rafborough
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 May 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
This might be of interest  http://www.historicfarnborough.co.uk/rafboroughhistory.html

Rafborough takes its name from the Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF), and was constructed to house its workers.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline droops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 15 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Rafborough is on the OS maps:
http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=487328&y=153550&z=120&sv=farnborough&st=3&tl=Map+of+Farnborough,+Hampshire+[Town]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf
although it is placed incorrectly in this link.
Rafborough was built by prisoners of war from WW1. It is just north of the airfield and is south east of where it says it is on that link. It is bordered to the south by Marrowbrook Lane, by Cody Road to the west, Fletcher Road and Busk Crescent to the north, and Weir Av to the east. In the middle are Keith Lucas Road and Gooden Crescent where I live. There are also some of the same houses at the northeasten end of Marrowbrook Lane.
We dont think of ourselves in Rafborough anymore. Its an old name, we are now Farnborough. Although an old guy who used to live opposite would insist that we are not in Farnborough but the village of Cove.
Cody flew the first plane in Europe, Gooden was the first director of RAE (Royal Air Establisment - or similar name). I think that Fletcher was also RAE. Another old timer said that Keith Lucas invented the aeronautical compass but I have never found any info to support this.

Offline simon tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 March 15 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Droops

Thanks for the reply My g grand parents lived in Busk Cresent in the 1920s
 G grandfather Walter "Jimmy" Humphries worked at the RAE but dont know what he did still trying to find out what he did

Simon