Author Topic: Robert EDWARDS, Harlech/Llandanwg  (Read 4162 times)

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Now living in Fareham, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Robert EDWARDS, Harlech/Llandanwg
« on: Tuesday 20 May 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
My post dated 21 April included an inaccuracy & so I'm trying again!

My 2xgreat grandfather Robert EDWARDS married Laura THOMAS on 30 Mar 1852 at the Parish Church, Llandanwg. The marriage certificate shows his address as Harlech, his Occupation as Mariner & his father as Robert EDWARDS, Mariner.

His wife (with their first two children -- the second being my great grandmother, Elizabeth) is shown on the 1861 Wales Census as a Seaman's wife, living at the Red Lion, Harlech with her parents.
I cannot find any 1861 Census records for Robert & so I assume he was at sea.

Robert (with wife & children) is shown on the 1871 Wales Census as an Innkeeper aged 45 living at Clogwyn Inn, Harlech, Llandanwg & on the 1881 Wales Census as Slate Miner (Quarrier) aged 52 living at 3 Tryfar Terrace, Harlech, Llandanwg.

His death certificate shows he died on 28 Apr 1887 at Tryfar, Harlech, Llandanwg and was a Slate Miner aged 59 -- the Informant was one of his sons.

I've been unable to find any 1841 or 1851 for Robert Jnr or Robert Snr -- both away at sea?
On the Welsh Mariner's Index (see http://www.welshmariners.org.uk) there is an entry for a Robert EDWARDS born on Llandanwg in 1826 where (a) CC or Cs No. is shown as 58853, (b) Reg. Ticket is shown as 186218, (c) Capacities as mt51 and (d) Kew Ref. as 124/18.

Is there anyone who will be able to find:-
1) Possible Llandanwg baptism records for Robert Jnr which I'm guessing would be about 1828 -- which I also hope will show mother's first name
2) Any other Llandanwg baptism records for the period around 1828 where the parents are the same as for Robert Jnr
3) Possible Llandanwg marriage records for Robert Snr where unfortunately I can't be very specific about a possible date (but no later than 1828!)

Thanks & regards, Rob DAVIES
Hughes & Griffth(s) of Nantmor, Beddgelert
Williams of Bontnewydd
Edwards & Thomas of Harlech/ Llandanwg
Jones of Llanystumdwy
 ==============
Davies/David of Pentrych/ Cardiff , Glamorgan
David of Peterstone super Ely, Glamorgan
Morgan of Eglwysilan, Glamorgan
Miles of Peterstone super Ely

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert EDWARDS, Harlech/Llandanwg
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
I can't find any baptisms but there is a marriage between a Robert Edwards (no occupation) and Elizabeth Williams in Llandanwg on 13th September 1820.

Regards,

David

Offline robdavies66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Now living in Fareham, Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: Robert EDWARDS, Harlech/Llandanwg
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks David, that looks very promising
Regards, Rob
Hughes & Griffth(s) of Nantmor, Beddgelert
Williams of Bontnewydd