Author Topic: Bain and Farquhar marriage 1830's  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bain and Farquhar marriage 1830's
« on: Tuesday 20 May 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother Jane MacPherson (M.S. Bain) was born in 1853 in Latheron, Caithness Shire, the daughter of Donald Bain (farmer) and Elizabeth Bain (M.S. Farquhar). She married John MacPherson, born same year and also from Latheron, on 24 Sept. 1882 in Peterhead.

Jane and John’s marriage certificate states Donald Bain is deceased by that date in 1882.

When I tried to find the marriage date of Donald and Elizabeth, I drew a blank on Scotland’s People, but Family Search came up with a marriage in Latheron, Caithness between Donald Bain and Elizabeth Farquhar.

Success I thought, so many correct names and the right location, but the date of their marriage is shown as 10 December 1835.

Does this date seem likely? Jane’s marriage (at age 29), 47 years after her mother's marriage?
Possible I guess. Or is the Family Search date perhaps a transcription error?

Any suggestions please?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bain and Farquhar marriage 1830's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

You have posted on the Beginners board (first posts only) so I will ask the moderator to move your post to the Caithness board

47 years after her mother's marriage?

If the marriage you found was 1835 and Jane was born 1853 - that's only 18yrs.  I think you have added Jane's age at marriage (29) to the 18yrs
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)