Author Topic: William Richard Welch - Convict arrived "Tottenham" 1814  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Richard Welch - Convict arrived "Tottenham" 1814
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 08:07 BST (UK) »
Greg,  aren't you descended from William WELSH/WELCH and Elizabeth HAZLETON?  Their application/permission to marry shows that William was a convict who arrived on the Tottenham so other convicts with the same name are irrelevant.  No?  ???

Debra  :)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Greg McGrath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 July 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Debra,
Thanks for the reply. My concern was that my William and the William of the Elsenham Gang are indeed one and the same person. The evidence indicates that they were and before I announce it to others of the family I would like to be sure. Do we know absolutely that the Elsenham Gang William was transported on the Tottenham? This would just about seal it for me.
Greg

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 July 14 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg,

Prison Hulk 'Retribution'

Wm. WELCH, tried Chelmsford 28 July 1817 aged 24, Life, Transported 20 Dec 1817

You can read the story of the 'Tottenham' here and why it took so long to get to NSW.
http://www.jenwilletts.com/convict_ship_tottenham_1818.htm

From the convict indents:

Document titled: Ship Tottenham, - Tons; D. McDOUGALL, Master; R. ARMSTRONG, Surgeon Superintendent  Sailed from England -    Arrived at Sydney 14th October 1818

William WELCH, tried Chelsmsford, Essex, 28 July 1817 (Life), aged 25, native place Hertfordshire, Gardener, 5ft 8ĺins, complexion dark rud? (ruddy), hair black, eyes dark.

From the transportation registers:

Document titled: Tottenham sailed January 1818

William WELCH
Where convicted:  Essex assizes
When: 28 Jul 1817
Term: Life

Convict records usually continued to cite the trial date and place as this was the identifier for each individual.

Debra  :)

Offline Greg McGrath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 July 14 02:40 BST (UK) »
Debra
Thanks for filling in the 'missing' information .... I really appreciate your efforts and help.
Regards
Greg

Offline Mark Welch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 March 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information, as I was having the same problem researching which William Welch/Welsh was my direct descendant. My family tree indicates my line comes down through William Richard Welch then George C Welch .

Regards
Mark Welch

Offline Lucy Welch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 January 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
William Welch and his son George Clayton Welch are also my ancestors. Iím new to this site, but happy to share info.
Lucy