Author Topic: William Richard Welch - Convict arrived "Tottenham" 1814  (Read 6256 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Richard Welch - Convict arrived "Tottenham" 1814
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 08:07 BST (UK) »
Greg,  aren't you descended from William WELSH/WELCH and Elizabeth HAZLETON?  Their application/permission to marry shows that William was a convict who arrived on the Tottenham so other convicts with the same name are irrelevant.  No?  ???

Debra  :)

Offline Greg McGrath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 July 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Debra,
Thanks for the reply. My concern was that my William and the William of the Elsenham Gang are indeed one and the same person. The evidence indicates that they were and before I announce it to others of the family I would like to be sure. Do we know absolutely that the Elsenham Gang William was transported on the Tottenham? This would just about seal it for me.
Greg

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 July 14 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg,

Prison Hulk 'Retribution'

Wm. WELCH, tried Chelmsford 28 July 1817 aged 24, Life, Transported 20 Dec 1817

You can read the story of the 'Tottenham' here and why it took so long to get to NSW.
http://www.jenwilletts.com/convict_ship_tottenham_1818.htm

From the convict indents:

Document titled: Ship Tottenham, - Tons; D. McDOUGALL, Master; R. ARMSTRONG, Surgeon Superintendent  Sailed from England -    Arrived at Sydney 14th October 1818

William WELCH, tried Chelsmsford, Essex, 28 July 1817 (Life), aged 25, native place Hertfordshire, Gardener, 5ft 8¾ins, complexion dark rud? (ruddy), hair black, eyes dark.

From the transportation registers:

Document titled: Tottenham sailed January 1818

William WELCH
Where convicted:  Essex assizes
When: 28 Jul 1817
Term: Life

Convict records usually continued to cite the trial date and place as this was the identifier for each individual.

Debra  :)

Offline Greg McGrath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 July 14 02:40 BST (UK) »
Debra
Thanks for filling in the 'missing' information .... I really appreciate your efforts and help.
Regards
Greg

Offline Mark Welch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 March 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information, as I was having the same problem researching which William Welch/Welsh was my direct descendant. My family tree indicates my line comes down through William Richard Welch then George C Welch .

Regards
Mark Welch

Offline Lucy Welch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 January 18 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
William Welch and his son George Clayton Welch are also my ancestors. I’m new to this site, but happy to share info.
Lucy

Offline Mark Welch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 January 19 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy,

I'm hoping you can help me. I've managed to research William Richard Welch and his history in Australia. I'm now interested in his family tree in the UK and to see how far I can follow the Welch name back. Any information you have would greatly be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Mark Welch

Offline Lucy Welch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry it has taken a long time to respond; I'm not on here very often but hope to get into researching family history in the future.  I'm not very experienced with it, so anything that I have found in the UK history of William Richard is not deeply researched nor double checked for accuracy.  I'll try to find where I filed away the leads I did find.
Do you know much about George Clayton Welch?  I believe he may have lived in Goulburn NSW for a while and then perhaps operated a livery stable in Enmore?  This is just stuff I've found on Trove.  His son, William George Welch is my great-grandfather.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Lucy

Offline Mark Welch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 August 19 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy,

Interesting William George Welch is also my Great Grandfather, if my information is correct that would make your Grandfather either Roy Clayton Welch or Darrell Gilbert Welch. My Grandfather was Harcourt Maitland Welch. William George Welch was married twice, first wife Mary Louise Capon around the Picton area. Then Agnes Annie Fitzsimmons, where they lived around the Maitland, Dungog areas. I used to live in Stroud very close to this area and I think its either Agnes's sister or mother buried in the cemetery there. I looked for the gravestones of our Great Grandparents in West Maitland, I found the area but not the stones. Sorry I don't know much about George Clayton Welch but that his he was in Petersham when he passed in 1913. Ill get back into researching it more soon and pass on any new information. I guess that makes us 3-4th cousins.
Regards
Mark Welch