Author Topic: Maiden name of Mary Ann ALLEN/BEARFOOT, born 1794 Sheerness, Kent?  (Read 5279 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden name of Mary Ann ALLEN/BEARFOOT, born 1794 Sheerness, Kent?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 03 July 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Another one

Birth 7 Jan 1787, Baptism 27 Jan 1787, St Mary's Woolwich
Steven of Henry and Caroline Bearfoot

Given the name of Steven, there are several baptisms in Woolwich to Steven/Stephen and Sabina Bearfoot between 1757 - 1765, unfortunately no likely record for Henry born c 1756 or 1757.

Given the Non conformist baptism, mixed in with C/E records, there may be more siblings, including hopefully Henry snr.

Familysearch has the marriage (possibly Banns, but see later) 22 Oct 1756 in Rochester, Kent of Stephen Bearfoot aged 28 and Sabina Comport aged 24.  Checking at ancestry, the marriage took place in Woolwich 23 Oct 1756 by License, on the same day as Richard Bearfoot married Elizabeth Comport by License.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 July 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Don't be too quick to make assumptions, Margaret.

St Mary's, Woolwich
Henry Bearfoot, born 28 Mar 1758, baptised 16 Apr 1758, parents Richard and Elizabeth Bearfoot - a likely candidate for Henry snr who married Caroline and who died in 1829.

Without baptisms for John Edwin, Caroline or Elizabeth it may be difficult to connect them positively, but the family names of Henry, Caroline, Richard and Elizabeth continue.

Found another one, but a bit early for 'your' Elizabeth.

Eliz Barefoot, parents Henry and Caroline, born 23 Apr 1788, baptised 16 Mar 1788, St Mary's, Woolwich

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 July 17 20:30 BST (UK) »

Baptism St Mary's Woolwich
Henry Barfoot, parents Henry and Caroline Barfoot, born 18 Mar 1784, baptised 11 Apr 1784

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 03 July 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
 ??? ??? ???

Burial, St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich

1841 Mar 31 Caroline Barefoot - 86 years - New Charlton

Another possible link in this chain of mystery.

Tony

Offline Zep1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Fantastic Margaret and Tony - just the change of Henry to 1758-1829 has helped it fall into place. To top it off I have found Henry snr. marrying Caroline Waistell on the 22 June 1783, at Westminster, and feel fairly sure this is the right one.

I am currently using FindMP, instead of Anc. at the moment, but don't seem to be getting the depth of information that you are sometimes getting - is there something else that is giving you better access to details in records?

Regards
Zep
Kilgallon, McCran, Ochiltree, Denholm, Fortune, Nicol, Langdon, Smith, Bolger, Connell, Sullivan, Lourey, Primmer, Charles, Johnson, McGrath, Daley, Hughes, Stodart, Tweedie, Bell, Dunn, Anderson | Webster, Gregg, McConnel, Farrelly, Farnham, Bellchambers, Davey, Ashbolt, Dibel, Schrodt, Woodmansee, Seabrook

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Zep, Sometimes the collections in the two sites overlap, sometimes they are completely different.  I think Tony is working from a mixture of records, including his own transcriptions from records, sometimes from purchased transcribed records eg by Kent FHS or similar (feel free to correct me Tony).

I am mainly looking at Ancestry, London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, also for Thomas, England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970.

Westminster baptisms, marriages and burials are mostly at FindMyPast, well done for finding the marriage.

The question is, who are Caroline, Elizabeth and John Edwin's parents?

You initially thought that they were children of Henry jnr, who was born 1784. He could just about be John's father, but not father of the two girls.  If they were Henry snr and Caroline's children, why do not baptisms appear for them, the older children were baptised as C/E, Thomas baptised in Non conformist church in 1792. Caroline would have been c 50 when John Edwin was born c 1805.

Margaret

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
Back to the Allen family, my main interest.

I have decided to send off for the wills of William Thomas Allen who died in 1880, brother Richard executor, and if that proves to be 'my' WTA, I will send off for the will of his unmarried sister, Mary Ann Allen, who died in 1883, brother Henry Allen executor.

This should help both me and Zep.  I should find out why WTA jnr did not involve his sons as executors, and hopefully Mary Ann will make provisions for both her Allen full siblings and her Bearfoot half siblings, as she lived with the latter in census.

This should prove conclusively that  Mary Ann was mother to all seven children.

Margaret