Author Topic: Stalybridge  (Read 8297 times)

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stalybridge
« on: Wednesday 21 May 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone could just clarify for me what county Stalybridge would have come under from 1840-1850? Also, if looking for a birth during these dates, where would they have been registered, sub district etc? I'm not at all familiar with the geography of the area.
Many thanks in advance,
Sarah  :)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stalybridge
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi hope I am correct, but doing a quick search by trial and error in 1841 census I found this for Staley Bridge, Registration District Ashton & Oldham Parish Ashton-Under-Lyne Town Stayley Bridge

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 May 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
Stalybridge was a civil parish created in 1894 out of Stayley and part of Dukinfield (in Cheshire) and part of Ashton under Lyne (Lancashire).

Registration District would have been Ashton under Lyne.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline missmolly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 May 14 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

If you are looking for births in Stalybridge check the cheshirebmd site and most births include mothers maiden name

Mo
Harrison,  Lancs
Phillips, Bucks/Chesh
Holgate, Lancs/Chesh
Etchells, Chesh/Lancs
Schneider, India

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 May 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

As Miss Molly suggested, try www.cheshirebmd.org.uk

For region, click Tameside

Heather

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 May 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
Go to http://maps.familysearch.org/ and put Stalybridge in the search box. You will get a map showing the parish, county, and registration district boundaries as they were  in 1851. There are these entries:
Stalybridge St. Paul is an ecclesiastical parish in the County of Cheshire, created in 1840 from Mottram in Longendale ancient parish.
Stalybridge Old St. George is an ecclesiastical parish in the county of Lancashire created in 1798 from Ashton under Lyne (St. Michael) ancient parish.
Stalybridge New St. George is an ecclesiastical parish in the County of Lancashire created in 1847 from Ashton under Lyne (St. Michael) ancient parish.

You can overlay the Ordnance Survey map to see the relationship to Stalybridge, and list all the parishes in Ashton under Lyne Civil Registration District.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 May 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks all, that's been a huge help. Hopefully I can finally track down this birth that've been searching for for what seems like forever :)
Sarah

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 May 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
If you want anything checking at the local archives centre, just let me know.

What is the name of the person you are looking for?

Heather

Offline templeton14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 May 14 21:21 BST (UK) »
Wow Heather, that's really kind of you.
Its a bit of a complicated one. My gx2 grandmother calls herself Mary Moss on the 1871 census, the year before she marries. Then she marries as Mary Coalstone (no father on cert). At the time she was living in Goldenhill in Stoke-on-Trent.  For her first 2 children, she says her maiden name was Moss. For the next 7 children, she says hers maiden name was Colstone/Coulstone (variations in spelling). She gives her place of birth as Goldenhill on the 1871, 1881 and 1891 census. Following the death of her first husband, she remarried in 1892, and on that certificate, she names her father as Isaac Moss, occupation platelayer. From that marriage onwards, she gives her place of birth as Stalybridge on the 1901 and 1911 census.
I cant trace her for definite pre 1871 on the census because I'm not sure of her name or where exactly she was born! I've exhausted everything from the Goldenhill side of things, so I was hoping to find something in Stalybridge. She would have been born approx. 1845, but I don't know if she'll be a Moss or Colstone. I was just hoping to find something that links the two names!!
Sarah