Author Topic: Griffith Evans - Llanrhystud Parish  (Read 2239 times)

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Griffith Evans - Llanrhystud Parish
« on: Saturday 24 May 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have struck a bit of a brick wall, can anyone help with advice. Griffith Evans was baptised on June 26th 1840 in St Rhystyd church Llanrhystud Parish. The record shows he was born out of wedlock with no father recorded and the mother named as Anne Morgans a servant. On the 1841 census he is found with the family of Jane Davies and her children, not sure why? On the 1851 census Griffith is found back with his mother still living in the same village.

Now what I cannot find in the 1851 census is Griffith's father who on his wedding certificate (14th February 1874) names him as David Evans , a Carpenter (this is the trade that Griffiths worked as an adult) and his father was deceased. On the 1861 census I cannot find either Anne Morgans or David Evans, perhaps they had died by then?

Thanks

jon
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith Evans - Llanrhystud Parish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 May 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
Maybe Jane Davies was just looking after him overnight, the census has a single line between him and the Davies family which would indicate a separate 'household'

It is quite common for fathers to be invented on marriage certificates.  Did his mother marry.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 May 14 13:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, I have yet to find a marriage record for Anne Morgans. Interesting when you say fathers were " invented on marriage certificates" I have not heard this before but in those times would have made sense.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 May 14 14:55 BST (UK) »
Fathers were often 'made up' to cover up illegitimacy.  It is also common to say that their father is deceased.

I suppose that even when a child has grown up with their family they may not know their fathers first name or occupation. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk