Author Topic: Thursday Island Death 1892 - John Chambers OWEN  (Read 6016 times)

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
  • G-Grandfather at Cilmelyn Farm, Bangor c1900
    • View Profile
Re: Thursday Island Death 1892 - John Chambers OWEN
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 May 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information folks ;D

Debra (Dundee), I will take up your advice and contact QLD State Library and see what they can come up with.

Merlin, an interesting article and something to pursue. It would be interesting to find out a bit more history of the Lancashire Lass. The Spanish silver booty on my current information may have come after my John C Owen drowned, as he died in the January of that year and it looks like the booty according to the article, was found in the March. I believe the actual booty was found in a place called Boot Reef.

I found an article on this in a diving magazine...see link below.

http://actionasia.com/articles/pirates-of-the-coral-sea

I think my next step is to confirm what I have about my ancestor with the state library and if all is good pursue the history of the Lancashire Lass.

Thanks again guys  :)

Griffith(s) - Anglesey: Pentraeth, Llanddona.

Hughes - Anglesey: Holyhead, Llangefni, Pentraeth.
Caernarvonshire: Gyffin, Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr.

Jones - Anglesey: Llangefni
Denbighshire: Betws yn Rhos, Llanfairtalhaiarn

Owen/Owens - Anglesey: Llanbadrig.
Caernarvonshire: Bangor, Penrhosgarnedd.
Denbighshire: Cerrigydrudion.

Roberts - Caernarvonshire: Dwygyfylchi, Penmaenmawr, Llysfaen.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 May 14 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is an inquest record for the death of a John Owen in 1890, whereabouts not disclosed on the index of inquests. This may be worth following up once you have been able to confirm the actual date of death.  The Queensland archives staff are most helpful.  Here is the reference (use the Find command for Owen.):

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Courts/Pages/Inquests.aspx#search

Work took me to the Torres Strait Islands in the 1980s.  Murray Is is a beautiful place.  I have seen memorial plaques  in the churches and cemeteries on the Islands.  There may be one for your John.  I'll delve a bit further.  There was an Oz "Who do you think you are" program about the singer, Christine Anu, who hails from there.  Best wishes, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 May 14 03:30 BST (UK) »
Checked the Q  deaths index.  There is a death for a John Owen 1890 with "age approx. 50", which does not look like your chap.  This death could be the inquest death I found in my previous post and thus not yours.  However, I would have expected an inquest/inquiry of some sort for your chap.
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 May 14 06:34 BST (UK) »
Looks like this is the John Owen who died 1890 with an inquest.  He committed suicide by drowning in Blackall - outback Queensland.  I think we can eliminate him:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/20280574?searchTerm=drowning owen&searchLimits=exactPhrase|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||fromdd|||frommm|||fromyyyy=1885|||todd|||tomm|||toyyyy=1895|||l-title=269|||l-title=42|||l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||sortby

Also there is no Owen listed on the passengers lost on the wreck of the Quetta, Torres Strait in 1890.  (Incidently my family migrated on the Quetta to Brisbane. It was wrecked on its return trip.)

I'm not having much luck in finding your John Owen so far. Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 May 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gazania,

Thanks for looking up my John C Owen.

You are right about the 1890 John Owen, he is too old for my John. My records have John born about 1868 (according to 1871 & 1881 UK census).

I think the 7 January 1891 has legs as the initials are correct (John C Owen) and the two locations Torres Straits and Anglesey plus the age being within a couple of years. The family headstone in Anglesey has him as a 1892 death. However, I believe this inscription may have been added much later and so the actual year may have become a bit misty. The next and final inscription below his is for his sister who died in 1947, so it may have been put on then.

I had a look at the possibility of John's death being associated with the Quetta in 1890 but could not find anything on him. I tried to make contact with the Torres Straits Authority last year via email to see if they had anything but never got a reply.

As I said in my earlier post, I will contact the Qld state library and see what they can come up with.

Thanks again for your help it is always appreciated. :)

100%Gog

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 01:32 BST (UK) »
I agree that the Maritime death of John C. Owen, 7 Jan 1891, is your man, (the other John Owen being eliminated).  What had me puzzled was that this death was not recorded on the Q death index.  Having read the fine print on the Q BDM website, I see that not all Marine deaths are recorded.  But the Maritime death record was registered at Maryborough, an important port at the time.  Maryborough is not all that far from Brisbane, so the "Lancashire Lass" bypassed several ports north of Maryborough to register a death at sea in the vicinity of Murray Is. (This could be a story in itself, unless of course another vessel was bringing the news of the Lancashire Lass)

It is quite possible that a death certificate may not give any more details than is given in the Maritime record.  However, should you wish to follow the matter of registration, you could contact the Maryborough Court House and ask them to check their records. (In fact, in pre internet days we used to go to our local Court House to file applications to buy certificates)  Or you could contact the Queensland BDM.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/court/courts/courthouse-locations/view/?title=Maryborough+Magistrates+Court

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/birth-death-and-marriage-certificates/

Best wishes, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 May 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the further information Gazania. Its an interesting point you make about the death been registered at Maryborough rather than a port closer to Murray Island.

I have now contacted the Qld State Library and given all the information I have on John C Owen to them so I am hoping they may find something on him. If I get anything back I will put it on the post.

Best wishes,
100%Gog

Offline 100%Gog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
I have received a reply from the Qld State Library and the news is disappointing. They have searched their records for a John C Owen death/drowning but have found no records of either. They have also checked deaths in NSW and Vic but nothing there either. A search in newspapers on the Trove website proved inconclusive.

According to the state library they are not surprised that there is no record of death or inquest as until about 1895 there was some dispute as to whether all the Torres Islands came under Queensland jurisdiction.

They do agree that the fact that the mercantile record of a John C Owen held at the National Archives, Kew is annotated with details of his death certainly suggests some formal communication with UK authorities, perhaps The Admiralty. However, these records – if they have survived – are most likely to be in the possession of the UK National Archives. They have suggested that the Registers and Indexes of Births, Marriages and Deaths of Passengers and Seamen at Sea (BT334) covering the years 1891-1972 may provide additional information on the death of John Chambers Owen.

100%Gog

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Interesting information from the State Library.  I wonder how your family received the news - officially or from an informal source.

I have an example of a death at sea of an ancestor in 1856 off the coast of Africa while migrating to Australia.  Her death is registered on the same Maritime Index as your chap and yet there are two death certificates lodged at Sydney NSW.  Both certificates have more but similar information with the longitude and latitude given as her place of death.

Regards, Gazania

ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
VOLLER, Surrey
WINCH, Surrey