Author Topic: Akers of Finstock/Charlbury  (Read 8414 times)

Offline Jess94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Akers of Finstock/Charlbury
« on: Saturday 24 May 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for a baptism and marriage for William Akers/Acres born c.1781 in Finstock. His daughter was Caroline Akers born 12 Aug 1821 in Finstock and baptised in Charlbury. On her baptism record her parents are listed as William Akers and Mary, but there are also two other baptisms in Charlbury which I thought might be her sisters, and on those the mother is listed as Sarah:

Elizabeth Akers - 16 Nov 1823
Sarah Akeres - 21 Apr 1819
Caroline Akers- 26 Aug 1821

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N5Y1-5GD

So I think he married a Mary but maybe she was also know as Sarah if the other two baptisms above are related? Would also be great to find a baptism record for him if possible.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jess :)
ARTHUR (Oxon), PECKOVER, (Northants), DORSETT (Oxon, Bucks), PEACHEY (Oxon), LAWSON (Beds, Bucks), TANNER (Glos), PRATLEY (Oxon).

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Akers of Finstock/Charlbury
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 May 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Sarah died and he remarried to a Mary.

Or perhaps there are 2 William Akers, maybe couisins or second cousins, one married to a Sarah or one to a Mary. Or, as you say, maybe MAry and Sarah are the same lady.
Lots of different scenarios to consider.
Probably your next step is to look at marriages.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 May 14 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jess

This may help you a bit-the Oxford FHS have the Finstock registers transcript for sale-have a me look at their web site just type offs into google & that will get you to the society's site

All the very best

Phil

OFHS member 4711
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 May 14 12:40 BST (UK) »
Tell you what, I've recently purchased the transcript for Finstock so will have a look at them for you when I return to Weston-super-Mare from Worcestershire where I'm on holiday

All the very best

Phil

ps keep your fingers crossed
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Jess94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 May 14 10:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for the advice; Phil that would be great, it's very kind of you to offer. Fingers crossed as you say!
ARTHUR (Oxon), PECKOVER, (Northants), DORSETT (Oxon, Bucks), PEACHEY (Oxon), LAWSON (Beds, Bucks), TANNER (Glos), PRATLEY (Oxon).

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
From the PR's I have I can see the following;
St Marys Charlbury:
Caroline Akers baptised 26 Aug 1821 she d o William and Mary of Finstock, William was a labourer.

Phillip Akers baptised 26 March 1817 he was s o William and Sarah of Finstock, William was a labourer
Sarah Akers baptied 21 April 1819 she was d o William and Sarah of Finstock, William was a Labourer
Elizabeth baptised 16 Nov 1823 she was d o William and Sarah of Finstcok, William was a Labourer

There is no marriage for a William Akers in the Charlbury PR's until 1842.
In 1842 Finstock began their own and sadly nor is there a marriage  in the Finstock PR's for him.
There is no baptism in either for a William Akers.

There is a burial of a Sarah Akers on Finstock on 17 May 1827 aged 38 - there is no more info on her nor are there any more relevant entries in the Charlbury (pre 1842) PR's.
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 12:45 BST (UK) »
Me again

In the PR's of Holy Trinity Church, Finstock I can see a burial for a William Akers on 17 April 1860 aged 79 - so this looks like your William and sets a birth date of circa; 1781.

As a by the way the Phillip I gave you the bapt date of in my previous post? - well in these PR's he has a daughter FANNY  baptised in this church on 27 Oct 1844 d o Phillip and Emma a Labourer and they were from Finstock.

And then there is the burial of Emma Akers on 15 April 1847 aged 30.

There are only these 3 entries for Akers in these whole Finstock PR's.
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
I'm getting curious about your William and his marriage.

I cannot see a suitable entry in the OFHS Marr Index for the Finstock area in the appropriate years and with the correct 1st name of the bride.

The only ONE I see which is possibility, assuming they were actually married and the service took place in Oxfordshire remains an outside chance - but it is within the right years and still in Oxfordshire. It is a William AKERS a Widower who married a Sarah READ a widow at Brize Norton.

Looking at the PR's for St Britius Church, Brize Norton Church I see the marriage;

1818 July 21 Akers William wid and READ Sarah wid after banns The wits were; Joseph AKERS and Mary RAWLEY

I'm sorry I do not know if this helps or hinders you but I hope helps in some small way. By the way there are loads of Akers in Brize Norton.

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline Jess94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 May 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking all of that up for me Nigel, it's very kind of you. :)
Remains a bit of a mystery then.. I suppose the Brize Norton marriage is plausible but it does seem quite a distance away from Finstock, and if as you say there are a lot of Akers there, it's probably a different family. I also find it a bit odd that Caroline seems to be the only child of William and Mary.
I'm not really sure what to do next; I suppose I'd have the look at marriage records in the surrounding area of perhaps neighbouring counties?