Author Topic: McCabe / Hayes family Carlow  (Read 16993 times)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCabe / Hayes family Carlow
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 January 15 08:48 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Hello HardieS
Welcome to Rootschat. :)
This link explains how you can send a Private Message.  You need to have 3 posts sent before you can send PMs.
Good luck with your search.
Conahy

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 January 15 12:00 GMT (UK) »

Hi HardieS,
        From memory without looking at the family tree,James McCabe married to Bridget Berrigan was my Great Grandfather Thomas McCabes older brother.Thomas was the youngest in the family he migrated with their father John .Have I got this right.
                                                                                Chinka

Offline HardieS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 February 15 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chinka.
Thanks for your immediate reply.
That looks like it is right to me. As far as I can tell, John and Ellen McCabe had 8 children. Margaret, Patrick, Johanna, Ellen, Bridget, John, Thomas and my Great Great Great Grandfather James who married Bridget Berrigan. They in turn had 12 children - Francis, Ellen, John, Patrick, Mary, James, Thomas, Edward, Peter, Theresa, Michael and William (my Great Great Grandfather). I am curious about the siblings of John McCabe (1804-1879) and details of his parents James and Mary McCabe (where in Kilkenny they are from? relations? etc). I know James and Bridget arrived in Australia on the 17th November 1853 on the "Caroline". I don't know about James' siblings emigration.

Thanks.
Steve

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 02 February 15 06:46 GMT (UK) »

Hi Steve,
   I dont have a lot of info about before they migrated.Margaret looked after the younger children after Ellen died.She came to Australia & married John Conlon,who was a widower with children I have a copy of their marriage cert.He was 20 yrs older.They sponsored John McCabe snr.He arrived in 1860 on 'TUDOR'with the 3 youngest children .Patrick ,his wife Ann & children came earlier with 2 older girls.James & Bridget came with their children.I am just summarising this by memory.John
McCabe was born in Carlow.He lived in Kilkenny,apparently worked in the coalmine at Castlecomer.
The children were apparently born there.If you have 3 posts you can pm me and I can tell you what I know about our branch of the family.Thanks,
                                                                           Chinka

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 12:33 GMT (UK) »

John  McCabe & Ellen McCabe nee Butler stated when they married that they lived in Roe.Is it possible this is a shortened form of Knockroe ,Kilkenny.They did reside in Kilkenny and their children were born there.
                                       Chinka

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 March 15 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Chinka, there is also a Knockroe within Borris parish in co Carlow which is on the border with Kilkenny so it could be either. Many times you can find people in either Kilkenny or Carlow just as in the south of Carlow you can find them in Carlow or Wexford. Kim

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 05 March 15 09:41 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Kim ,I found some Butlers in Knockroe,Kilkenny with names that coincide with naming patterns in my family,so will look into it further.But I realise that Butler is a very common name in Kilkenny,I just dont have any info on Ellen Butlers background.I found John McCabes immigration record it states his father is James & mother is Mary and he came from O'Loughlin .I think this is Old Leighlin,Carlow.Found info that states it was called O'Loughlin by the locals .
                                                                             Chinka