Author Topic: McCabe / Hayes family Carlow  (Read 16988 times)

Offline wiilams83

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCabe / Hayes family Carlow
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 19:25 BST (UK) »
My Margaret was born in  jan -march 1896 Carlow Kim as she is on the cenus return as you stated before hand it's the generations back from her family I am trying to find. Hope you can help

Chinka really I am wondering if we are cousins somewere alone the line then.

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 23:38 BST (UK) »
   I have been trying to trace my McCabes for a few years without success.I found this family in Tomnasock recently,it seems to fit but I cant prove the connection at this stage.John McCabe migrated with all his children & grandchildren.So no direct line remained in Ireland.The names are the same as the family in Griffiths.Loughlin,Patrick,Thomas ,Mary,Johanna,James has been used in the family for generations.Margaret was Johns daughter she sponsored their migration.I do have a photo of Thomas my g grandfather.He had black hair & blue eyes,so did Robert Emmett my grandfather,my father,myself & some of the next generation.My fathers cousin was  Fr Thomas McCabe who was bishop of Wollongong he had 4 sisters who were nuns.I think there is a strong possibility there is a connection with this family. Chinka                                                                   

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 09:15 BST (UK) »

Hi,
 Can you tell me what groni.ie. is ? So I can access my family's records if this is possible.
                                                                                                                    Thanks ,
                                                                                                                                Chinka

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 10:37 BST (UK) »
Chinka, groni.ie is the Irish website for the General Registrars Office of Northern Ireland who hold the certs of birth,death and marriage for Ireland. You can contact them online and for 4 euro can obtain a cert copy which they can even e-mail to you.Just give them as much info as you can about the person you seek. They are a most helpful group. Hope this helps,Kim

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry about the mixup with Margaret. Was on another line of thought altogether.  As I say, contact groni.ie for copies of certs to see if the James McCabe  may belong to your line. The thing at the moment about Carlow is, that the Catholic records have not been put online yet. There are only some Protestant records online at the moment on irishgenealogy.ie. For Catholic records, you would either have to go to your nearest LDS library and look at parish records on microfilm, or go to Dublin and go to the National Library which has the registers on microfilm. If you could go to Dublin and down to Carlow, the Carlow Library has extensive material concerning the parish registers and burials/cemeteries in county Carlow. I have checked online cemetery listings but the only one I found is the one for James McCabe that I gave you. Most online cemetery listings are newer ones as they are easier to read plus the fact that older stones are either worn away,hard to read or non existant. It may well be worth a trip on Ryanair to go to the Carlow library. Hope this helps and if I can help more let me know, Kim

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:44 BST (UK) »

Hi Kim,
  Could you please tell me what year that groni would possibly have records from,John McCabe was born abt 1800 I have a couple of variation of dates.So his father James was born before 1800.I may be able to find James death cert. if the date is not too early.I havent been able to find any trace of Ellen McCabe nee Butler,just know she died when Thomas ,who was born in 1848,in         
Castlecomer,was very young.Ellen had died before 1853 when some of the family left for Australia.
My family has been trying to trace them for years.A couple of my cousins & myself have been sharing information.We think this is our family the naming patterns are the same.I know some records are unavailable.
                                 Thank you for your help,
                                                                    Chinka

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 May 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=442233.0

Link provides information about birth certs  (taken from Ireland Resources board)

"GRONI" refers to Northern Ireland, and "GRO" is for the Republic of Ireland which includes Carlow

Offline chinka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 May 14 00:22 BST (UK) »

Hi Conahy,   
             Thankyou for the link a great help.
                                                                 Chinka

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 May 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Chinka, I found a few bits and pieces which may be of help. As to John McCabe b @ 1800,I found the following;

Birth:
John Macabe
father:James Macabe
mother:Anne Kely(actually Kealy)
26 April 1800
Kilmoysin

other siblings:
9 Sept 1787 Anne
29 Sept 1792 Elinor
17 Feb 1796 Bridgt
*these have residence listed as Ballymurphy

by 1824 James is in Old Leighlin according to Tithe Applotment books.

also in same area are the following McCabes;

John McCabe/Mary Doyle:
9 Sept 1785 Michael
29 Apr 1787 Anne
27 Oct 1789 David
31? June 1792 Mary

Michael McCabe/Mary Fenlon:
18 Jan 1796 David
30 Apr 1797 Pat
14 March 1800 Caty
1 Sept 1802 James
5 May 1808 Nelly
23 Feb 1811 Michael & Thomas

Brian McCaby/Bedy Noulan:
19 Feb 1801 Caty
8 Aug 1802 David
8 June 1804 John
25 June 1806 James
8 Feb 1812 Patrick
*records between 1 Feb 1798-Sept 1799 missing
*records between end of 1813-Jan 1825 missing
* no records available before 1796(so in case of John's parents,there probably more children)

Marriage:

10 Nov 1825
St John's,Kilkenny

groom: John McCabe
address:Roe
religion:Roman Catholic
bride:Ellen Butler
address:Roe
religion:Roman Catholic
witnesses: Lot MacCabe/Bridget Donnelly
stipend is £5.1.10
*this is all the info on record so it doesn't help to figure which birth cert may be Ellen's.

children I found in Kilkenny born to John and Ellen:
Patrick 1827
Mary 1829
James 1831
John 1844
*there are probably others-these are the ones that came up for John and Ellen.It is possible some may be listed as just with father's name and "and wife". Also they could be in co Carlow records,the same as death of Ellen @ 1853.

Lastly found 10 different births for Ellen Butler in co Kilkenny;1805,1808,1809,1810,1812.The others would be too late for her to have had son Patrick.

I hope this helps.If I can be of any other help,let me know,Kim