Author Topic: George Ledingham 1886 and James McIntyre or Robertson 1882 Nairn  (Read 4341 times)

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Ledingham 1886 and James McIntyre or Robertson 1882 Nairn
« on: Monday 26 May 14 20:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out what happened to two half brothers left with their grandmother in Nairn. James Robertson or McIntyre was born 3 Jul 1882 at 92 Harbour Street Nairn. His mother Mary Robertson left him with her mother also Mary Robertson. His mother eventually married in Edinburgh and she had another son George Ledingham b 24 Jan 1886 at 5 Rankeillor Place Edinburgh. It had been a shotgun wedding and her husband left her shortly after young George was born. Her husband George went to England and never returned to Scotland. She took her son back to Nairn where she left him with her mother and went on to have at least one other child illegitimately. I lost track of her in 1901. Both her children remained with their grandmother George till 1911 and James till 1901. I think George served with the Coastguard Services in WW1 then I lost track of him. His grandmother died in 1915. As for James he just disappeared. He was registered as James Robertson on his birth certificate but called McIntyre on the census. Can anyone help me?
Seoni

Offline evansj2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George Ledingham 1886 and James McIntyre or Robertson 1882 Nairn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 16 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Great Grandfather was George Robertson (Father of George in Nairn).  He went to Liverpool after he left George and Mary.
He Married another Mary (Mary Orme) and had 2 further children, James and George.  Not sure he divrced the original Mary!
Would be very interested in any information you have on the George in Nairn as we have only just found out about this, and therefore my grandfather (George Orme Ledingham) has a half brother we never knew about.
Thanks
J

Offline Seoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 16 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
I actually knew about George Ledingham going to Liverpool and getting married again. I do not think he got divorced before he remarried. His 1st wife Mary Robertson was older than him. She met him when she was working in Edinburgh and they got married when she became pregnant. The marriage lasted no time at all and he disappeared leaving Mary with a young baby (George). I have a lot of papers about her efforts to obtain alimony from him. They make for unbelievable reading. George made it plain he was never going to live with her again and was going to England and never returning. She won her case for alimony but never received any from him. Mary came back to Nairn and left young George with her mother Mary Robertson (Dickie). Her father was dead by this time . Mary ended up having 4 illegitimate children : James McIntyre or Robertson b 1882 Nairn, George Ledingham b 1886 Edinburgh, Janet Robertson b 1901 in Forres and Peggy Robertson b 1907 in Nairn. The 2 boys were left with their grandmother and the 2 girls were left with Mary's brother in Buckie. George served with the Coast Guard Service during WW1 and then I cannot find out what happened to him or his half brother and half sisters. I also cannot find out what happened to his mother. It is an ongoing search and I hope that sooner or later I will find out about them. Their mother muddied the waters by using different names so it makes it difficult searching for them. Sorry I can't give you any more info but if I find out anything I will let you know.
Seoni

Offline evansj2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 16 18:11 BST (UK) »
great information, thanks.

If you do ever find anything more out, I'd really appreciate you letting me know.

What's your link to the story?

Thanks
J

Offline james86

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Seoni,
Did you have any more luck with this? I found a death record for a George Ledingham who seems to be the right one (the first son) - but the age is out by five years. His occupation of lamplighter may match your Coastguard findings. Do you have a link to this?
Thanks