Author Topic: Looking for Ancestors James Anderson Margaret McKeand  (Read 15649 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Ancestors
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
They don't seem to have stayed on the farm very long, Ruskie. On James's death cert in 1855,  it says that he'd lived in Castle Douglas for 36 years - so they must have moved by 1819.  He became or was a bookbinder From reading my 3xgrt grandfather's letters, tenant farming in the Loch Ken/River Dee area didn't really pay around then.

Gadget

Beautiful country but I can imagine very difficult to eke a living ...

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 04:17 BST (UK) »
They don't seem to have stayed on the farm very long, Ruskie. On James's death cert in 1855,  it says that he'd lived in Castle Douglas for 36 years - so they must have moved by 1819.  He became or was a bookbinder From reading my 3xgrt grandfather's letters, tenant farming in the Loch Ken/River Dee area didn't really pay around then.

Gadget

Beautiful country but I can imagine very difficult to eke a living ...
Welcome to Rootschat Kwicknit.  :)

Can I just confirm a couple of things please?

Your direct line is through William b 1814? You say he married Charlotte in 1863? He would have been about 49 years old in 1863 - is this correct? Do you have their marriage certificate? Do you know if he had been married before?

You also say that James was a tenant farmer - presumably this is his occupation on the children's birth entries? Then you say you found him in the 1841 census in York and he is a Draper. It is quite a leap from farmer to draper - how sure are you that you have the correct James Anderson? Does he have family with him? Does it say he was born in Scotland? (if indeed that is where he was born).

I may have got some of this wrong - please put me straight if I have.  :)

Lastly, have you been using Scotland's People for your research?

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi and Welcome  :)

Some of my ancestors moved from the same area in the the 1830s. At that time the landowners were forcing 'improving leases' on their tenant farmers, and many of the tenants refused to take them on so moved. This might have happened to your ancestors. However, |I'm not totally convince that you have the same family - there's something odd about the census series that Trish has listed - are they all the same family?  Anderson is a fairly common surname - as are William, Jane, Jean, Janet, Jessie.  Which is the latest census in which you can positively identify them as your ancestors?

Also, I think the farm was called Lochenbreck Well and not Brackenbreck Hall - see attached from the baptism entries.

I'll have a search around my local records and report back if I find anything.

Gadget

Offline Kwicknit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hi and Welcome  :)

Some of my ancestors moved from the same area in the the 1830s. At that time the landowners were forcing 'improving leases' on their tenant farmers, and many of the tenants refused to take them on so moved. This might have happened to your ancestors. However, |I'm not totally convince that you have the same family - there's something odd about the census series that Trish has listed - are they all the same family?  Anderson is a fairly common surname - as are William, Jane, Jean, Janet, Jessie.  Which is the latest census in which you can positively identify them as your ancestors?

Also, I think the farm was called Lochenbreck Well and not Brackenbreck Hall - see attached from the baptism entries.

I'll have a search around my local records and report back if I find anything.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Ancestors James Anderson Margaret McKeand
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi kwicknit

I've answered most of the  PM questions that you sent me, but here is a summary:

All of the info I gave is from parish records or the Monumental Inscriptions. I cannot put up the full images here because of copyright.

1. From James's death cert and the MI - James and Margaret (both born circa 1776 ish)  - appear to have had 4 living children - Elisabeth , William, Jessie/Janet and Jane. They also had children who died in infancy. Don't worry too much about the ages given - they're not usually accurate.

2. The parish records in Liverpool have the 2 Elizabeths as being the daughters of Copeland and Jessie Anderson with Copeland as a police constable/police man.

3. The 2 baptism records that I looked at from Balmaghie have James as tenant of Lochenbreck Wells, which would mean he rented the property on a lease. it doesn't say that he was a tenant farmer. I don't  know  if Lochenbreck Wells was a farmstead or just a house. Sometimes you might find properties/land advertised for rental in the local newspapers of the time. Copies of these would be in the local archives/libraries in Dumfries and Kirkcudbright. It might be worth contacting them at:

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2300
http://archives.dumgal.gov.uk/DServe/DServe.exe?dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Index.tcl

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3787

Castle Douglas Library also has a local studies section. They were very helpful when I visited:
http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3776

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
If James Anderson was born in Dumfries (census info) rather than Urr (Death cert info), there's a  possible baptism in Dumfries 2nd June 1777 - son of William Anderson. Unfortunately, mother's name was not recorded for Dumfries records at that time  :(

Also a marriage/banns on 19 August 1773  in Dumfries - William Anderson and Elizabeth McLellan  :D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
You're in luck

From the banns entry:

William Anderson, son to the deceased Alexander Anderson in this place (meaning Dumfries) and Elizabeth McLellan, daughter to the deceased Samuel McLellan in the parish of Urr

So that's where the Urr comes from!

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
If we assume that Jessie mixed up her father's place of birth with his mother's residence , then Hermitage, Urr is here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0zi7/

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Just for ref, here's a small photo of the main street in Castle Douglas - I have lots but this is the only one that's handy.