Author Topic: My Vincent Tree went very awry  (Read 1576 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
My Vincent Tree went very awry
« on: Tuesday 27 May 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Last year I started cleansing all the data in my family tree. I had come to realise how inaccurate many other peoples' records proved to be as my own hunting became more proficient. In the early days, I had gladly "hoovered" up all sorts of data much of which was already a copy of yet another person's researches.

I started my cleanse with my paternal grandfather William Albert Vincent. I had assumed that he came from Sunderland as did my father. It was then that I realised I had merged two William Vincents; a mistake that was only revealed by the 1911 census (not available when I started).

So, the William Vincent whose ancestors came from Melcombe Horsey in Dorset weren't mine nor were the Chamberlains of Stinsford, the various families from Milborne St Andrews, Dewlish, Milton Abbas and Hilton. All six hundred of them.

I know quite a lot of people have used my data over the past six or seven years so if you are one of them, please check your tree.

I can find no record of a marriage of William Vincent (b1858, Sunderland) and he definitely did not have three sons, Albert (1907), Arthur (1909) and Cyril (1913) who were all born in Sunderland. They belong to William Albert Vincent (1876-1942) born Stockton-on-Tees.

MalcolmDVincent
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: My Vincent Tree went very awry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
You say that you can't find a marriage of 1858 born William Vincent (did he have a middle name),can you tell us what kids he DID have and where you first see him with wife (called ?).

As we are not allowed to do 1911 look ups can you tell us what the 1911 does say please?
I can't even see an 1858 Sunderland born William Vincent ?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In 1911, William was living at 28 back Light Street, Sunderland West (page 636). He is "single" and was born c1881. He is living with his mother Mary (c1861) , sister Kate (c1887) and a lodger Ralph Gardiner (c1885)that I seem to recall Kate subsequently married.

William was the son of William, youngest known son of James Vincent born Bockhampton and who was baptised in Melcombe Horsey. James was the son of George (c1777) and Rebecca Chamberlain born Stinsford, married at Melcombe Horsey. George died there in 1838.

I have George's death certificate if any direct family member would like it.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 16:52 BST (UK) »
So this is the family set up in 1901 then?

Living in Sunderland

Mary Vincent    40 widowed b North Shields
William Vincent    20 son all kids b Sunderland
Eliza Vincent    17 dau
Catherine Vincent    15 dau

And it's Mary's marriage you are trying to find?

And in 1881 with loads of lodgers?

William Vincent    20 head iron ship caulker b Sunderland
Mary Vincent    22 wife b North Shields
William Vincent    son 1 month.

John Crow    30
William Cavanah    25
Thomas Hudson    50
Thomas Smith    27
Jane Smith    29
Ann Smith    6
John Dailey    34
Mary Dailey    32
Margaret Ann Dailey    12
Mary Dailey    4
Frances Mc Francy    56
Thomas Johnston    45

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol but I'm not trying to do any more with this William . I thought he was my grandfather but he wasn't! The rest of the info was the benefit of anyone who may have used my erroneous data in their tree.
gedmatch.com A006809

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol but I'm not trying to do any more with this William . I thought he was my grandfather but he wasn't! The rest of the info was the benefit of anyone who may have used my erroneous data in their tree.

You said you can find no record of a marriage??? But this isn't the family that you want?
If you have a tree on Ancestry then it's up to the individual to check their own facts and not steal anyone else's. Not sure how posting this info Rootschat will help anyone else?

It is likely to be this marriage by the way- fits with the age of William b in early 1881.

Marriages Sep 1880 
BOLTON    Elizabeth        Sunderland    10a   653    
Crozier    Robert         Sunderland    10a   653    
Gibson    Mary Ann         Sunderland    10a   653   
Naylor    John Maddison         Sunderland    10a   653    
VINCENT    William         Sunderland    10a   653    

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
If you have a tree on Ancestry then it's up to the individual to check their own facts and not steal anyone else's. Not sure how posting this info Rootschat will help anyone else?

You are quite correct. It is up to us all to check data before we add it to our tree. I have never viewed using data available in a published tree as "theft". I am aware, from previous threads on the subject, that there is a broad spectrum of views on the subject. I am also aware that "my" data has been used elsewhere and my original post was meant to be simply a helpful correction to anyone who did.

gedmatch.com A006809