Author Topic: Hereditary Title for John Gordon Douglas ?  (Read 9850 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hereditary Title for John Gordon Douglas ?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 May 14 21:05 BST (UK) »

How crazy to get excited over information which relates to someone's elses family and really nothing to do with me ! 

Don't worry (worry  ;D). This is a life time obsession that wil never leave you once you have the bug...as many of us do here on RC  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 May 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
Yes, well, I have been doing it for well over 25yrs, but only recent years (since retiring from work) have I been helping others in their search.

When I first started researching my FH there was nothing much online, in fact having a computer at all was within the realms of fantasy for me !  But it was quite special  sitting in Record Offices all day, looking at original documents, as well as trawling through the census records and church registers etc on microfishe for a particular village or town.

But the folks who contribute so much to others on this RootsChat website, must get something of the pleasure because of all the information they provide to complete strangers and give those people the excitement !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline taynton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 23:31 BST (UK) »
Douglas descendant here.

Thanks for all posted (and sorry to resurrect an old thread).  I've been able to trace my past to John Gordon Douglas, helped along with info here. To my knowledge, we don't have a hereditary title in the family name.

My understanding is John Gordon Douglas was born in Jamaica to William and Anne (nee Macpherson) Douglas, 1839.  Perhaps William Wallace was his brother?  I haven't been able to find much on him, William or Anne.  Any luck since this post?

John Gordon married Harriet Mill (I believe some relation to John Stuart Mill) 1882 in Scotland.  Their son William Alexander Scott Douglas was born in Trinidad in 1883.  It looks like these generations hopped back and forth from the UK to the West Indies several times. 

Some of WASD's descendants are now in Canada some in the UK.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 April 15 08:37 BST (UK) »
I am a bit surprised to get a posting on this subject after all this time !   But thank you taynton for getting in touch.  It was a family line I was researching for a contact in Canada - she is a descendant on my mother's Layton line and Douglas was her father's family.

I have removed any of the information from my computer, as it was no connection with my family, but will send your comments on to my friend in Ontario.

Which country are you in ?
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline taynton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 April 15 08:42 BST (UK) »
I was born in Canada but now live in England.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 April 15 08:57 BST (UK) »
Would you like to share FH information with my friend in Ontario ?     I did find lots of information for her on the Douglas family and of course she had already plenty of her own.

Offline taynton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 April 15 09:01 BST (UK) »
That would be great - I sent a PM with my email.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 06:19 BST (UK) »
This website has plenty of Douglases, and the owner is happy to add people.

http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/famgen/