Author Topic: Has anybody heard of "Thankerton House"?! COMPLETED -- thank you!  (Read 4898 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Has anybody heard of "Thankerton House"?! COMPLETED -- thank you!
« on: Saturday 31 May 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
An ancestor is recorded (in the wedding announcement of his son, in an edition of the Cambrian Quarterly Magazine in 1832) as living at "Thankerton House, Lanarkshire". 

I googled Thankerton House, but came up with nothing; so I wondered if anybody on here had any knowledge of such a place existing in 1832?

Of course, this could have been a bit of self-engrandisement by the son -- "bigging-up" daddy's address.  But his (middle class) daddy was not without at least some means and status in society and likely could have afforded to live in "the big house" (if, in fact, there ever was one!).

I should be grateful for any assistance anyone with local knowledge is able to give.

Many thanks.

CELTICANNIE

PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody heard of "Thankerton House"?!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 May 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thankerton is a village near Biggar, Lanarkshire, there may have been a large house there in 1830s

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 May 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thankerton House was at Holytown - there are several references to it in PO directories of Glasgow and Lanarkshire.  A John Webster lived there in the 1860s, followed by a James Neilson of the Mossend Iron Co. 

Unfortunately, I don't have access to any earlier listings which might have shown your Hughes ancestors in residence.
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 May 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
It is also visible on an 1864 map of the area ... click on the 1864 option in the right margin, find Holytown on the map and Thankerton House is WSW.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=276700,660400
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 May 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
In 1880 Lord Advocate William Watson of Covington, Lanarkshire (1827-1899) was appointed to the House of Lords as a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary and created a life peer as Baron Watson, of Thankerton in the County of Lanarkshire.

In 1929, his son Lord Advocate William Watson KC was appointed to the House of Lords as a Lord of Appeal in Ordinary and created a life peer as Baron Thankerton, of Thankerton in the County of Lanarkshire, so the family clearly had a connection with the area and may at some point have owned the house.

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 May 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, jon541 and sancti! :) :)

jon541, how on earth did you know it was Hughes ancestors specifically that I was enquiring about?!! :o :o :o  Ooooh-er!  (Do you have psychic abilities?!!)

Anyway, now that I know where Thankerton House was, I can begin to consider/investigate what work specifically he might have been engaged upon whilst living there.

Thank you again. :-*

CELTICANNIE
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody heard of "Thankerton House"?! COMPLETED -- thank you!
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 May 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
Interesting stuff, djct59 :) -- sorry, I missed your post; think we were posting sort-of simultaneously. ::)

CELTICANNIE

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 May 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
Just to clear up any confusion, Thankerton House at Holytown is nearly 30 miles away from Thankerton near Biggar though both are in Lanarkshire as has been pointed out.

Yes I do indeed possess psychic powers, Annie ... no, not really - I just referred to the Cambrian Quarterly you had cited.  :-)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 June 14 04:18 BST (UK) »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

And thank you for the further clarification of Thankerton House's position. :-*  Much appreciated. Thank(erton) you! (Sorry).

CELTIC ANNIE