Author Topic: Elliott in County Donegal, Ireland  (Read 14601 times)

Offline Bob Elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Elliott in County Donegal, Ireland
« on: Saturday 31 May 14 21:05 BST (UK) »
Looking for James Elliott and Ann Clark, married 4 Jan 1825 in Letterkenny Church, County Donegal, Ireland

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elliott in County Donegal, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Have you any other details? I am related to Elliotts and Clark/es from the Letterkenny area but I don't have that marriage in my records.

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 11:19 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

then come down the page and type in the search box: Elliott of letterkenny

records kept at Central Library, Oliver Plunkett Road. Letterkenny

http://www.donegallibrary.ie

Offline Bob Elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Joe:  James Elliott and Ann Clark were my great-great-grandparents.
James was born about 1801, parents might have been David Elliott and a Barbara, but surname not known.  Ann was born about 1803 . Parents were Robert Clark and Margaret Clark, same surname. First child was Margaret Anne Elliott, baptised Raphoe Cathedral, Feb 1829. Record showed parents lived in Dromore, Taughboyne Parish . I wonder if James and Ann were living with her parents. Child named Margaret follows naming pattern, first child named after grandmother. Second child was Stephen, born 1833, no details. Third child was Jane, born 1835. Married in Glasgow 1855, showed Church Hill as birth place.  Family moved to Glasgow in 1836. Fourth child was James, born Glasgow 1837. Then Robert, born Glasgow 1841. Then my great grandfather, Joseph Stopford Elliott born 1847 Glasgow. James and Ann minister who married them in Letterkenny in 1825 was Dr. Joseph Stopford. Probably Conwal church. Believe he is buried there.
Hope this is of some use to you. I plan to visit Letterkenny in September.  Bob Elliott

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 June 14 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 sorry a little slow getting back to you, I got a chance to check my sources but unfortunately I don't see a connection, my Elliotts go back to a Robert Elliot (b.1800) recorded in a marriage record of his son James Elliott Raymochy, Donegal. My Clarkes lived in the townland of Roughan, parish of Conwal, near Letterkenny but the names Ann or parents, Robert and Margaret don't appear on my tree either.

Regards
Joe 
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Bob Elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 June 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me. This is the story of my searching, lots of Elliott's and Clark's , but not in the right place. Do you live near Letterkenny ? I wrote two Elliott men in Letterkenny, about a month ago;  I got their addresses from the phone book, but no replies . Bob Elliott

Offline rubeaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 September 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
 :)  :) Looking for information on Margaret Elliot born about 1810 to parents James Elliot and Catherine Reilly.

James Elliot was a shoemaker. Not too sure where Margaret was born in Ireland but in 1845 she was living in Cavan.

James Elliot has been my brickwall for a very long time.  ::) ::)

Offline Bob Elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 October 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Joe:  I was in Letterkenny a couple of weeks ago. Met a Robert Clark. His address is Roughan, New Mills, Letterkenny, County Donegal. Unfortunately he doesn't have a computer.
You might get something from him if you write him. You can mention my name. Bob Elliott

Offline Bob Elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 October 14 22:48 BST (UK) »
My James Elliott was married to Ann Clark.
I was in Letterkenny a couple of weeks ago. I am pretty sure they were from a community called Cleive Glebe, but I have no proof in print.