Author Topic: G.H. Smith & Son Tunbridge Wells  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
G.H. Smith & Son Tunbridge Wells
« on: Sunday 01 June 14 13:47 BST (UK) »
Im looking for any information about a coal merchants business in Tunbridge Wells called G.H. Smith & Son that was reportedly still in operation in the 1930's.  I have George H. Smith ,born 1832 Gloucestershire as the founder of the business. His wife was Ann, born 1837 Walsall,Stafforshire who he married before 1857 when their first child Kate was born. I have all of George's children and census records. He lived in T. Wells from 1871 onwards and from abt 1881 to 1905 lived at 'Anglesey House, at 68 Upper Grosvenor Rd,T.Wells. He died at that house Feb 7,1905. His son Sidney Frederick Smith was living with his parents in 1911 and was the son in G.H.Smith & Son. In 1901 census George is a retired coal merchant and his son Sidney as coal/corn merchant on own account.  The 1911 census taken at 68 Upper Grosvenor Rd T. Wells gives Frederick as a coal merchant employer and living with him was a servant (he was single).On March 21,1912 Sidney married Alice Bailey at Malinslee,Shropshire. I have probate for Frederick that records his death at Anglessey House 68 Upper Grosvenor Rd T.Wells March 24,1924. Then the storey runs cold. Need details about his children and who took over his coal merchants business and any information about the business after 1924. Also any photos. I have a photo of a model train coal car with the name " G.H. Smith & Son Tunbridge Wells" on it but that's all.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: G.H. Smith & Son Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 June 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
I think they may still be trading but now as G.H. SMITH & SON (FUEL) LIMITED, Company No. 00271062, with a registered office address of Buckland Barn, Buckland Hill, Wadhurst, East Sussex, which is about 7 miles away from Tunbridge Wells according to Google maps.

The Ltd Co was formed 10 Dec 1932 and still appears to be run by the Smith family, one of whom was born in 1945.  Their tel. no is 01892 784 444 so I guess you could always ring them and ask?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 June 14 10:55 BST (UK) »
 Yes I am aware of G.H. Smith & Son (Fuel) Ltd in Wadhurst and that the director and secretary are both Smith's but I have not been able to find an email address for the company. Can you help with that?

Also, in searching directories for this Ltd company on Ancestry I cant find any Tunbridge Wells directory listings for them-very strange for they became a limited company in 1932. Not one thing on a google search connects them to Tunbridge Wells!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 June 14 11:07 BST (UK) »
In the absence of an email address, what about writing a letter? ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 June 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
They have a wholly owned subsidiary company - FAIRS & GREEN (MECHANICAL SERVICES) LIMITED (03007136) whose address is 15-17 Vale Rd, Tunbridge Wells TN1 1BS. 

Email :info@fairsandgreenmechanicalservices.co.uk

The company secretary is the same as for GH Smith but the current director has a different surname - but as they're wholly owned then the directors of GH Smith will ultimately control it anyway.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 June 14 20:17 BST (UK) »
There's an advert in the Kent & Sussex Courier, 4 Dec 1903 for a "G H Smith & Sons, Coal Factors, 35 years reputation; Offices 36 Mount Pleasant, Tunbridge Wells (next Lloyds Bank)",

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 June 14 20:39 BST (UK) »
The earliest mention I can find is another advert in the same newspaper, 16 Dec 1874, which refers to

Coal Direct to the Customer
THE CANNOCK CHASE RAILWAY COLLIERY COMPANY
Prices, apply to G H Smith, "Anglesey", Upper Grosvenor Road, Tunbridge Wells
Sole Agent to the South of England 

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 June 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
Very Good!!!  Thanks very much for your feedback

Offline emilysmith94

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 November 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I know I am reading this late but I have only just happened upon the thread! I am Terry Smith (director of G H Smith & Son Fuel Limited)'s daughter and I can confirm it is the same company as the Tunbridge Wells company started in 1837 by George Henry Smith. You can reach my dad to ask him any archiving questions on 01892 784444 or email him on ghsmith1868@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Emily