Author Topic: macDonald/ currie..south uist  (Read 16499 times)

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
macDonald/ currie..south uist
« on: Sunday 01 June 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace my ancestors from south uist. My great granddad was Alexander (Alistair) MacDonald from Dailburgh born 1885. He married Marion (Morag) MacKay in 1923. His father was Donald Ewen MacDonald (1860-1904) and his mother was Marion currie (1856-1945). He was one of nine...
Peggy (1885)
john (1888)
Donald (1890)
Donald-john (1891)
kate (1893)
Malcolm (1898)
Annie-flora (189?)
Mary-flora (1900)

Some of these dates may be slightly out. I would be very grateful if anyone could help with any of these names as I have looked all over and cant find anything else.
I know that alexander left the island and moved to Oban as did his sister Mary-flora.
His wife Marion (MacKay) left and moved to skye to live with their daughter Jessie Nicolson (My gran) and died there in 1956. Alexander and Marion had separated.
Sorry for the long story...am just a beginner and haven't sussed out the jargon yet.lol
many thanks
x
Campbell, Coyle,, Nicolson MacDonald, Allen. Macintosh, Gallaher,

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: macDonald/ currie..south uist
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 June 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
Except for Alexander, those dates for Donald Ewen's family all seem to derive from the ages given at the 1901 Census. Alexander however was aged 5 according to the Census, so born about 1895/6. Donald Ewen, general labourer, died of typhoid fever in Askernish 9.1.1904 but the family was living in Daliburgh. Donald Ewen was son of Donald MacDonald farm grieve and Margaret MacLeod according to the registration 17.2.1885 of his Protestant marriage to Marion Currie daughter of John Currie and Catherine MacIntyre in Milton. I don't know if you know that the Curries in South Uist were descendants of the great MacMhuirich bards to the Lords of the Isles and then at Stilligarry in South Uist, to Clanranald.

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 June 14 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply.
I had the name Donald MacDonald and Margaret MacLeod as names for Donald ewen but wasn't sure. I could not find any info for them. I have Donald ewen and Marion's marriage certificate.
That is interesting about the curries, I was not aware of that and am afraid my history is not so good..i will now look it up . I hope to go to uist soon so I can at least be a bit more familure with the place names...
Thanks again
Jackie

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 June 14 21:23 BST (UK) »
It has occurred to me that I know of this family and the Currie half of it contains a trap. if you track Marion b. 1856, who married Donald Ewen MacDonald and settled at Glebe Cottage, Daliburgh, before her marriage you will find her at 468 Lochboisdale in the household of a married couple John Currie [Iain Ruadh mac Eoghainn] 1810-1892 and Catherine MacIntyre 1827-88. However, it was asecond marriage for both of them. John had already had Donald, Ewen, Marion  b. 1842 who married Sam MacKenzie, Roderick and Margaret with his first wife. John and Catherine went on to have two children together, Mary 1862-4 and Mary 1865. However, Catherine had already had children with her first husband, confusingly also John Currie, in the Isle of Eriskay just off the South Uist coast. They were John 1851, Donald 1852, Isabella 1854, Marion 1856 who married Donald Ewen and Mary 1859-60.

That may possibly explain why they are difficult to trace but that Marion's was a Protestant marriage also suggests that someone, possibly Donald Ewen's father, the farm manager Donald MacDonald, was a resident of North Uist or even the mainland.

That makes no difference to the bardic descent. Just Google Niall or Cathal MacMhuirich or simply the surname. In 1800, Lachlan Mor MacMhuirich claimed to be 18th in descent from Muireadhach, the first of the family to move to Scotland in about 1213.

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 15:13 BST (UK) »
again thank you, so confusing will take me a while to process this...I am amazed at the quick response from people and how fast you can find info..i hope as I learn more I will be able to do this.
From this then was Marion's father john ( from erisky)?..Donald ewens father may well have been from the north as all the results I've had suggest this.

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
You have simplified it exactly! Angus

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 June 14 15:07 BST (UK) »
still on the hunt for Uist connection..I have since discovered that further down the line were infact from north Uist . I came across this birth cert for Donald MacDonald parents Donald and Marion. I think it says lawful son but not sure...any help much appreciated :D
would flora also be marion.???

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 July 14 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

Sorry but I'm a bit confused here? I thought Donald's parent's were Donald & Marion MacLeod ?
Is this the same couple on the image you posted as her name is Marion MacLean?
You haven't given a year of birth & the date isn't on the image so not sure if I'm following this correctly  ???

Flora is not a name used for Marion but Sarah is an alternative as is Merron/ Merrion.

Anne Marie.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 12:54 BST (UK) »
hi sorry for the confusion and yes I see what you mean....I will have to go back and track what I have ...to be honest I've never come across anything more complicated than tracing uist connections lol
il let you know who's who when I figure it out ::)
Thanks again