Author Topic: John SMITH married Mary SUISTED  (Read 70086 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John SMITH married Mary SUISTED
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 August 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Debsss
Have ordered John's death printout

Hi again...

Was there anything of interest on the 1930 death printout for John SMITH. Specifically where and when he was born plus when he arrived in NZ.

Don't suppose there was any additional info on his parents, such as middle names.

And was the informant a SMITH?

Regards
Beg

Offline Debsss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Len and Mabel @ Kaihere, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 03 August 14 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Beg

I will try and attach the death printout record - just in case I'm missing clues.
BUCHANAN - Waikato, New Zealand
John and Alice SMITH - Waikouaiti/Flag Swamp/Wyndham - South Island NZ
THOMAS - Tenby, Wales 1700's - 1800's

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 August 14 03:11 BST (UK) »
I will try and attach the death printout record - just in case I'm missing clues.

Hi again...

Thanks for that. So John SMITH was approximately 18 when he arrived in approximately 1876 at most likely a South Island port, quite possibly Port Chalmers. I guess that's a start :-)

---

I've seen the WWI file and a Mrs Carrie Smith is mentioned. No-one can verify that was his wife - in fact it's almost certainly not true and has been a red herring for historians researching our family.

For the record, the Army Service file says that John SMITH married a Carrie KENDALL in 1906 in Wanganui. They had a son Erich born 1906 in New Plymouth.

This Carrie KENDALL might be the Carrie CHRISTENSEN who married Thomas William KENDAL in 1896. They had a son Eric Claude KENDALL in 1904. They were officially divorced in 1919.

Supreme Court - Divorce
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0197j/

It may pay to do a Births fiche look-up to find out if Eric b.1904 was born in New Plymouth. If so, it's possible that he is the "Erich born 1906" mentioned in John SMITH's Army Service record. It looks like this Eric died in 1968 and is buried in Palmerston North.

If you can find the age of Carrie CHRISTENSEN when she married in 1896 you can then compare it to the Carrie SMITH buried at Te Henui Cemetery, New Plymouth. She died in 1930 aged 61 so was born c.1861

---

Charles Eberhard SUISTED (b 1810) did have a sister apparently called Mary

Do you have any further info on Mary, the sister of Charles SUISTED / Carl SJÖSTEDT. I've looked at the Household Register where she would most likely be mentioned...

Fryksände kyrkoarkiv, Husförhörslängder, A I:14 1812-1821, page 132

... and although there are three sisters mentioned none of them is a Mary. And it's likely that this is the entire family as apparently the father died in 1821, although I can't find a record of his death.

Regards
Beg

Offline Debsss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 August 14 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Beg

I re-looked at the family tree that has a Mary as a sibling, but it could be an entry error as it's exactly the same name as a listed daughter of Charles' with no other stats whatsoever. Altho' it appears to be a comprehensive tree. No other mention found elsewhere when I back-tracked.

I've also looked at a passenger on the ship Persia called Mary Sjosted (kindly sent by a fellow researcher) but can't get any grip on her. She is stated as age 55 and didn't appear to be a fit for my family? I've attached it for your perusal.

I will request help to look up those other details you mentioned when I'm at the research centre, keeping in mind that John Smith in particular is the grandson of my research targets.

Thanks so much.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 August 14 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again...

Do you have any other info about that passenger list. Where it was found, year of voyage, ports of arrival/destination, column headings (especially the ones listing the countries).

Do you think Mary and Ellen BORS? are travelling together or that it's just a coincidence the only Swedish passengers on that page are listed together.

---

Yes I know that Carrie SMITH isn't who you're actually seeking. Just thought I'd throw that one in there.

Regards
Beg

Offline Debsss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 August 14 06:02 BST (UK) »
I'll def check out Carrie later this month...been a bit of a puzzle for the family apparently, so I'm keen to check it out further.

This is what I received ..."The Mary Sjostedt I found born 1811 Sweden departed Liverpool England 6 Oct 1866 aged 55yrs to New York - Ship name Persia. " and then was sent the above attachment. On further enquiry - got this>>>

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
 Mary Sjostedt
 Arrival Date: 6 Oct 1866
 Birth Date: abt 1811
 Nationality: Sweden
 Place of Origin: Sweden
 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
 Destination: United States of America
 Port of Arrival: New York
 Ship Name: Persia

Sorry I don't know any more than this .

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 August 14 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Have been following this for a while and perhaps I can add a few things. I checked up this passenger list and found a Ellen Rose in New York aged 15.

The name on the list is Ellen Roos.

The family she was living with in New York:
Frederich Seastedt
Eliza Seastedt
Tyek Rose

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M8FW-1K5

It could be coincidence but this could be the Ellen on the passenger list and the surname Seastedt is really a translation of Sjöstedt...... sjö = sea.

But they are probably not connected to your family.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 August 14 21:01 BST (UK) »

Do you have any further info on Mary, the sister of Charles SUISTED / Carl SJÖSTEDT. I've looked at the Household Register where she would most likely be mentioned...

Fryksände kyrkoarkiv, Husförhörslängder, A I:14 1812-1821, page 132

... and although there are three sisters mentioned none of them is a Mary. And it's likely that this is the entire family as apparently the father died in 1821, although I can't find a record of his death.

Hi Beg

I checked out this Mary from the page you posted. As you said there is no Mary. I looked in all the books of this family and there weren't many children listed. I looked at some trees on the net as a reference and found that some dates and even names did not correspond from what I found.
I went through all the births from 1798-1820 and found these:

Lisa Carolina 1803 (missing from book, the only one)
Briljanta Augusta 1804
Gustafva Catrina Fredrica 1805
Carl Erik 1806
Ardrietta Jacobina 1807
Julia Rasira 1808
Erica Sofia 1812
Eva Maria 1813

Sorry to bore you all with all the names but I thought it would be interesting to list all the names in this family as there doesn't seem to be a complete tree on the net. As you can see there is only one mention of a Maria, even though there is a name of a Mary Emma in some trees.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 August 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Debsss

I am wondering about the name Suisted as it seems to only originate from New Zealand. So if her name was Sjöstedt why would he write the name Suisted, which means in my opinion that Mary must have actually come from the Suisted family of Charles Suisted.

Was the name Suisted written on the marriage certificate?

Ian