Author Topic: John SMITH married Mary SUISTED  (Read 70166 times)

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: John SMITH married Mary SUISTED
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 June 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
Just so we don't double up on info,the poster has a thread on the TM board

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=1433430&topic=40

Cheers Janette

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 June 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janette :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Debsss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Len and Mabel @ Kaihere, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

A connection perhaps??

NZ BDM index has the birth for a Charles William Richmond SUISTED in 1874, parents Janet & Ekermann Selby SUISTED.

There were five children born to this couple another of whom was Florence Mary Agnes, born

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz

WW1 file for John Edward Valentine SMITH can be viewed and/or downloaded from Archives.

www.archway.archives.govt.nz

Possible snippets about this man in "Papers Past".

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

Minniehaha.

Hi Minniehaha - I've been looking closely at that family and my Mary would need to have been born prior to 1856 (ish) as the mother of John E V SMITH Senior. Charles Eberhard SUISTED (b 1810) did have a sister apparently called Mary (seen on ancestry with no vital stats) but I can't make a link other than New Zealand being in common. I've seen the WWI file and a Mrs Carrie Smith is mentioned. No-one can verify that was his wife - in fact it's almost certainly not true and has been a red herring for historians researching our family. Thanks for looking.
BUCHANAN - Waikato, New Zealand
John and Alice SMITH - Waikouaiti/Flag Swamp/Wyndham - South Island NZ
THOMAS - Tenby, Wales 1700's - 1800's

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hello...

No help sorry but I'm curious about a few things...

You wrote...

Mary Suisted (?Sjostedt) m John Smith  << these are my research targets

Is the bit in brackets "(?Sjostedt)" your addition or was it written like that on their son's marriage certificate.

--

It's a bit obvious but I'm guessing you've already looked through the 1861 and 1871 UK censuses for a five/fifteen year old John SMITH, son of John and Mary.

--

Apart from their son's marriage certificate is there any other mention you've found of John and Mary SMITH

--

Can I just clarify that you've made no actual connection between the adventurer guy Charles SUISTED and your Mary SUISTED. It's just a shared surname.

And out of interest, have you viewed the 1838 Denization Papers for Charles SUISTED.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C9110487

--

Happy to try and trace Mary SJÖSTEDT, sister of Charles SUISTED if you want. If this Mary stayed in Sweden it shouldn't be too hard to find her (famous last words :) )

Regards
Beg

Offline Debsss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hello...

No help sorry but I'm curious about a few things...

You wrote...

Mary Suisted (?Sjostedt) m John Smith  << these are my research targets

Is the bit in brackets "(?Sjostedt)" your addition or was it written like that on their son's marriage certificate. (My additional query)

--

It's a bit obvious but I'm guessing you've already looked through the 1861 and 1871 UK censuses for a five/fifteen year old John SMITH, son of John and Mary. (Yes, subbed to site which has these and cannot locate person of interest--but maybe I have missed?)

--

Apart from their son's marriage certificate is there any other mention you've found of John and Mary SMITH (No, not up 'til now)

--

Can I just clarify that you've made no actual connection between the adventurer guy Charles SUISTED and your Mary SUISTED. It's just a shared surname. (That's right)

And out of interest, have you viewed the 1838 Denization Papers for Charles SUISTED.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C9110487 (Yes, and this is the Charles who married Mary Emma RICHMOND whom I've seen prior in my search but can't find a John Smith in the picture)

--

Happy to try and trace Mary SJÖSTEDT, sister of Charles SUISTED if you want. If this Mary stayed in Sweden it shouldn't be too hard to find her (famous last words :) ) (Smiles. I have within the last day or so heard from an unmet relative whom I found online, and hoping they may know more. So I'll see where that takes us first and come back to you.)

Regards
Beg

Thanks Beg!

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 June 14 01:57 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Debsss
Thanks Beg!

Thanks for the thanks but I haven't actually done anything yet :)

Forgot to ask...

Have you looked at the 1881 ITM for John SMITH and Alice WILSON

And have you viewed the death certificate for John Edward Valentine SMITH b.1856. I note you've only mentioned his birth and marriage details. Would be handy to see if his death certificate details can add anything, especially time in NZ.

I'm assuming his death is...

1930/9149 - SMITH, John - 72Y - d.o.d 19 Nov 1930

Quote from: Debsss
Alice d 14 Dec 1924 in New Zealand

The above John SMITH shares a plot in Wyndham Cemetery with an Alice SMITH who died or was buried on 15 Dec 1924

Southland Council cemetery search
http://www.southlanddc.govt.nz/my-southland/cemeteries-/cemetery-search-/

Regards
Beg

Offline Debsss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 June 14 08:27 BST (UK) »
I did have a guffaw when I saw your first comment.  I meant thanks for taking an interest!   ;D

No. I only just found out about them (ITM's). Will ferret that out too.

I didn't know when his death was with so many namesakes on BDM.  :o  I kept looking in Dunedin Council cemetery records I think. Anyways, I missed it so I more than appreciate your find. Thank gawd for experienced eyes  :) 

ETA: Looking at Wyndham cemetery now, and wondering if those other Smiths are closely related and could give clues.

Offline Debsss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 03:22 BST (UK) »
Work in progress

Am in process of ordering ITM for John and Alice SMITH

Have ordered John's (d 1930 thanks for that death date~!) death printout -

Have heard back from unmet relative - Mary SUISTED not known about, unfortunately. no further info has come to light yet.

Offline Debsss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 August 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
No further info on the ITM - in fact parents not mentioned, according to transcription from Archives. Cannot find any further leads at this stage on Mary SUISTED or her marriage to John SMITH.  ::) Participating in Family History month through Auckland libraries which may/may not generate some new paths to search  :)