Author Topic: John Blake (Blak/Black) abt1535  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John Blake (Blak/Black) abt1535
« on: Monday 02 June 14 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi All !   Some help would be extremely appreciated here.

Although I'm aware that going back so far is riddled with problems, I nonetheless have a potential 11xGr born about 1536 in Over Stowey, Somerset.   
If I can find a birth source, I'd be half-way to linking him to some more 'recent' ancestors..., the 'Lords of the Isles.'

I have him with a father called John 'the Elder' Blake 1521-1576 born Plainsfield, Somerset.    Mother Jane Rawson b1521 born Plainsfield, Somerset. 
If my John is correct, I have him marrying Janet Cuik in Edinburgh on the 18 December 1564. (he..., Merchant, Burgess of Dumfries)
He died on the 2nd of December 1588.

'Migration' to Scotland ?   His local church is called Saint Andrew...   Patron Saint of Scotland..., but I've no idea if this would have been sufficient enough motivation for him to move north.   

So far I have (1) 'Midlothian (Edinburgh) Scotland, Extracted Parish Records' and (2) the 'UK, Extracted Probate Records 1269-1875.'

Any help concerning a birth source would be appreciated.   Thanks..., Iain. 

(1)
Text:   Black (Blak), John, and Janet Cuik 18 Dec 1564
Book:   Register of Marriages, 1564-1800. (Marriage)
Collection:   Midlothan: Edinburgh - Parish of Holyroodhouse or Canongate. Register of Marriages, 1564-1800
(2)
Name:   Black (Blak), John
Dates:   2 Dec 1588
Place:   Dumfries, West Lothian, Scotland
Book:   Mort Roll from 1781 in the Register House, Edinburgh. (Death)
Collection:   West Lothian, and Midlothian; Gloucestershire: Edinburgh; Bristol- Commissariot Record of Edinburgh, Register of Testaments, 1514-1600; Bristol Wills, 1572-1792
Volume:   The Commissarint Record of Edinburgh.
Chapter:   Register of Testaments. First Section--1514-1600. Edited by Francis J. Grant, W.S., Carrick Pursuivant of Arms.
Text:   Black (Blak), John, merchant, burgess of Dumfries 02 Dec 1588

McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: John Blake (Blak/Black) abt1535
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here's a link to a book that has a bit more about the family, I can't see John though

https://archive.org/stream/newenglandfamil01cuttgoog#page/n424/mode/2up

Here's another link to some Scottish documents, one dated 11 FEB 1588, mentions John Blak who died FEB 1587

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~alanmilliken/Research/ScottishRecords/General/EarlyDocuments4.html

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 07:07 BST (UK) »
Absolutly amazing Claire !   Not yet had a close look so I've reserved a corner of the weekend for some reading.  Hope I'll find reference to him being down South !
Thanks Claire.   Have a nice day..., Iain.
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
I think you may have the wrong John. I am Hon Deputy Curator at the Blake Museum in Bridgwater Somerset. The museum is the former home of the Blake family and reputed birth place of Robert Blake (1598) who was Cromwell's General-at-Sea (later Admiral) I had a very quick look, and I stress very quick, at the Blake family tree. From John the Elder we have Humphrey, William, Richard, Grace, Robert and Alice. William married Ann and the issue was Grace, Emma, William, John, Ann and Richard. John married Elizabeth. On Thursday I will take a closer look at the tree because what I wrote down this morning was very quick and I may have made a mistake. It does seem then that you will be related to our Robert Blake. The relationship will only come about through Robert's brothers because Robert never married, in fact he was very uncomfortable in the presence of women. It's a pity that you do not live closer as you would be welcome to take a look at the family tree.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
It does seem then that you will be related to our Robert Blake.

Amazing Midase !   And thank you !   Pleased to make your acquaintance !
The Blake Museum is totally new to me as is the Blake family connection to Cromwell.   

I live in a small village in the French speaking south of Belgium..., with a post office !   The local Priest lives next door !   Yesterday, posting a birthday card for my Grandson I saw the Priest saying goodbye to one of his ‘clients,’ so I jumped at the occasion to ask him if he had any documents relative to the local cemeteries.
He stepped backwards a few yards to an old, grey, army-style metal locker and pulled out a book containing hand-written entries of all the regional deaths going back to 1850.   “Give it back to me when you find the time” he said !   
Museum-linked..., I suppose you are in a similar situation !   Lol ! 

Anyway, many on Ancestry will now be a little upset when they read your post !     

Quote... “It does seem then that you will be related to our Robert Blake”?

My Mother was a Black from Campbeltown Scotland and her ancestors go back via Ireland, then on to the Islands of the Scottish West Coast before going back further to Midlothian and Edinburgh.   Said, with ‘tongue-in-cheek’!
Nonetheless, I do have many 100% sources from Ireland and the Scottish ancestors are taken mostly from the history books..., but John Blake/Black’s birth in Somerset is simply research !   
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/33342780/person/20165684357

Anyway..., I stumbled over ‘your’ John Blake 1535 and the only reason I did some research was not only due to Ancestry, but funnily enough, due to John’s local church ‘Saint Andrew.’ (coincidence ?)

If it is him..., why should he have emigrated to Scotland and ended up as “merchant, burgess of Dumfries 02 Dec 1588: West Lothian, & Midlothian; Edinburgh; Bristol- Commissariot Record of Edinburgh, Register of Testaments, 1514-1600; Bristol Wills, 1572-1792.”
(UK, Extracted Probate Records 1269-1975)
The kind of roots that could have led him towards the ‘Lords of the Isles’?   Who knows ? 

But of course, you are going to tell me something different !   Lol !

I appreciate your research.   Thanks Midas.   ..., Iain.
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Iain. Yes indeed, it is surprising what does turn up sometimes and quite unexpected. Sometimes to throw a spanner in works just like me with you  :)

There is a mention of Black on the family tree which appears quite early - perhaps a relation?

If you are interested to know a little more about Robert Blake then you can download a PDF from here http://www.bridgwaterblakemuseum.org.uk/ Click on the link that says Who was Blake.

Be back soon when I have studied the family tree.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 June 14 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Midas...
I'll reserve that reading for the weekend along with Claire's sugestions.    ;)

..., Iain.

PS   It would be interesting to know where 'your' John died ? (son of John 'The Elder')   That would answer the question !
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Midase

• RootsChat User
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 June 14 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Iain. It would seem that you have the wrong John.
John Blake (The Elder) = Joan (not Jane)
They had five children Humphrey, William, Richard, Robert and Alice. There is no John.
It is from William that there is any mention of a John.
William = Agnes Bond
They had five children. Grace, Emma, John, Anne and Richard.
From this John we have.
John = Elizabeth
They had five children also. Anne, William, John, Mary and Richard.

Spanner in the works I am afraid!

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 June 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Iain. It would seem that you have the wrong John.
Spanner in the works I am afraid!

Lol !  Not surprised !   
My sister lives in Somerset and it would have been too good to be true if the 'Black' family started and finished there.   Many on Ancestry will now have to change their trees ! (unless there's another Blake family in the region) 

Midas and Claire, I thank you both for the info and an interesting post.   ;)

Kind Regards..., Iain.

MacFarlane - Tiree